The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Revell P-51D Mustang - 2nd time around

Thanks Kev

I wasn't able to lift the carrier film off any of the NMF panels where I used both Set and Sol. The one NMF panel where I applied the decal without Set or Sol, just soft water, no issues in removing the decal film.  On all the NMF panels with the decal film still in place, you could see the carrier film at all. I never seal over overcoat my NMF at any stage for fear of losing the metallic finish - being doing this since day one.

Pics a bit later today.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

THE FINAL RESULTS

The test results and images are in with my final thoughts

Looking at the NMF test on both AK and Alclad Aluminum, using both Micro Set and Sol as normal, I was not able to remove the carrier film with the 3M masking tape, untacked. I stayed away from a #11 blade and tweezers as the paint finished was scratched and ruined. In none of the images can you see the carrier film which is as thin as any brand and worked perfectly.

1DKtVg.jpg

On panel #5 at the tip, I added a stencil and did not use any Set or Sol, just soft water for placement. After three hours, I was able to remove the carrier film with no problems and the results are perfect.

EtoFcu.jpg

All four of the panels were painted with MRP Primer, #1 was with Mig Acrylic and the other three were lacquers: Hataka, Mt Color and HRP. All four panels received a clear gloss coat with Mr Color #46. The decals were applied as follows:

1. With Set and Sol - The carrier film was removed with 3M masking tape and a considerable time was required. I was very careful as to were I applied the masking tape and then burnished the tape. It took a number of times to lift the carrier film

2. With Set and Sol - The carrier film was removed with 3M masking tape and a considerable time. was required. I was very careful as to were I applied the masking tape and then burnished the tape. It took a number of times to lift the carrier film

3. With Set only - The carrier film was removed with the same procedure and lifted up with left effort and less times applying the masking tape.

4. No decal setting solutions were used - the carrier film lifted very quickly and with a lot less effort.

CNT3pp.jpg

In none of my tests did any of the ink/decal lift or scratch and none of the paint lifted as well. All the painted panels look perfect and what seems like carrier film, is the LED lamps reflecting off a few deep panel lines. With the NMF, the decal carrier film was not removed and still can not be seen. Only the tip stencil data had the carrier film removed and if I didn't say anything, it's impossible to tell the difference.

Asz2ca.jpg

I prepared the panels with extreme care and prep for decals, none were polished or rubbed out. The panels are all relatively flat and no extruding details. In the end, the decals with the carrier film removed, looks exactly like a painted on marking.

I'm happy with my results, will have no hesitations on using the new Eduard decals, either the traditional way or removing the carrier film, depending on what the application calls for.

All the images were taken with a Nikon Z7, RAW format of 47 MG and process in Adobe Lightroom. The was absolutely no manipulation of the files at all - What you see is exactly as the test results show.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 12

Harv

Just took another peek and you're right. It's mostly due to the angle of the LED lamps bouncing off the panels and if you could see the actual panels in the flesh, it's nearly impossible to see. But no matter what, all the carrier film was left on all the NMF decals except the tip stencil and I'm happy with that..

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Peter, for going through all the hazzle, to keep us in the loop. Your way of methodical working through the process and document it for us is precious. I will benefit from your results, as I have an Eduard kit with new decals in stash, which I plan to build soon.
I hope all the gained expertise will transform to a show stopping P-51 in the end.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Thanks Rob

Very much appreciated. I'm going to go the full route with the Eduard decals on my P-51 and hopefully the results will be the same as my tests. Which of the new Eduard kits do you have with the new decals? I have the 48th scale P-51D Iwo Jima Very Long Range Mustang and the decals are Eduard with a 6-7-2020 date on the decals, so you will need to check to be sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter.

• Like 4