The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair, PTO camouflage and colours

Martinnfb

Hey Guys ,

F4U Corsair is such a prominent aeroplane that it would be only appropriate to open a separate topic , as such, where we can discuss it's evolution and share our research, pictures, drawings and observations related to this famous warrior.

Cheers

M.

Edit: Let us focus on the early Birdcage :) I've changed the name

image.jpeg.781e7b2f9ce5f4652917b3ee392291aa.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Soooo, here we are! LoL

1st-ALL my pictures and data are in storage as My daughter and I, lost our apartment in October due to the high increases in rent in South Florida.

Any images I will share are going to what I have saved and what I can "copy" from the web.

First order of business on Corsairs would be color scheme and markings changed before and after January/February 1943. Or as some, may or not know the introduction to 3/4 tone, Counter Shading Schemes. In simplicity I will cover it briefly as a manuscript is in the works.

Alfonso 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Hey Guys ,

F4U Corsair is such a prominent aeroplane that it would be only appropriate to open a separate topic where we can discuss it's evolution and share our research, pictures, drawings and observations related to this famous warrior.

Cheers

M.

Corsair.jpeg

F4U-1"A", is a whole 'nother world. F4U-1 "Birdcage" 1st!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Also, there are a bunch of things Corsair to cover! I wish to share color scheme related issues when it comes to 3/4 tone, Counter Shading scheme changes and applications and update to U.S. National markings and why!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Bubblesbubbles2.thumb.jpeg.881af46893e13f96c842968deeff6ea4.jpegbubbles.thumb.jpeg.5b82ae0c4e53b187ae6e6ee0846a6e52.jpeg

The Bottom Pic!!! F4U-1 assigned side number White 18 named"Bubble's". Of Super interest and part of the "can of worms" on Birdcages and their colors, is the Corsair behind her!! 3/4 tone/ Counter Shade Scheme with 4 position U.S. Cocades/Star in Circle roundels!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I am going to hang this link here, where Dana Bell was helping with Arkansas Traveller related questions .

at.jpeg.21b1d5c5ffa7a19370debf632208bbd3.jpegVMF-222-White-22-Arkansas-Traveler-pilot-1st-Lt-Pappy-Reid-Midway-Jun-1943-01.thumb.jpeg.5acdf8ef7b973296c5a0d2d6b9d65e4d.jpeg

Another Great photo with lots of controversy. She's a 3/4 toner as well!! Look at the pic well and it's Sooo evident! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's Dana's take, from the linked topic.

Hi Martin,

I keep looking at the pix of Arkansas Traveler posted here, but I just can't be certain of how the aircraft was painted.  I am, however, certain that it wasn't predominantly Blue Gray/Light Gray with some repaints of Dark Blue - you second shot shows that I missed the boat on that call.  The stippling on the cowl and the overspray of white onto the outer wing panel prove that the aircraft has been repainted in some form of the 4-tone Sea Blue scheme.

The 593rd F4U-1 introduced what would be the standard pilot's headrest, which this aircraft doesn't have.  Those headrests were introduced in May 1943, about a month after Vought began applying the 4-tone camouflage at the factory, so it's possible (if Arkansas Traveler was one of the later deliveries) that this is one of the early factory applications of that scheme.  The fact that the underside camouflage for the outer wing panel hasn't been carried onto the wing center section would also support that possibility. Just like the aircraft in the photo of the prop being pulled through, this aircraft has a fresh overpaint of a darker blue (either Sea Blue or Dark Blue) on the fuselage between the cowl and cockpit.

I'm bothered by the color demarcations on the leading edge of the wing - they should terminate beneath the leading edge, not at the leading edge.

Also, the outer wing panels suggest that they may have been Blue Gray - they were certainly delivered in overall Blue Gray, and many aircraft were repainted on the upper surfaces only before Briggs was able to switch to the newer scheme on it subcontract.

A good photo of the after fuselage would probably settle this once and for all.  I've checked all of my pix, hoping for a shot with #22 somewhere in the background - but no luck.  I don't think you'll have a great problem if you mimic the scheme seen in the photo of 465 (pulling the prop thru), but that's really just a guess.

Good luck with the model - sorry for the bum steer, and wish I had more to offer on the scheme!

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Here's Dana's take, from the linked topic.

Hi Martin,

I keep looking at the pix of Arkansas Traveler posted here, but I just can't be certain of how the aircraft was painted.  I am, however, certain that it wasn't predominantly Blue Gray/Light Gray with some repaints of Dark Blue - you second shot shows that I missed the boat on that call.  The stippling on the cowl and the overspray of white onto the outer wing panel prove that the aircraft has been repainted in some form of the 4-tone Sea Blue scheme.

The 593rd F4U-1 introduced what would be the standard pilot's headrest, which this aircraft doesn't have.  Those headrests were introduced in May 1943, about a month after Vought began applying the 4-tone camouflage at the factory, so it's possible (if Arkansas Traveler was one of the later deliveries) that this is one of the early factory applications of that scheme.  The fact that the underside camouflage for the outer wing panel hasn't been carried onto the wing center section would also support that possibility. Just like the aircraft in the photo of the prop being pulled through, this aircraft has a fresh overpaint of a darker blue (either Sea Blue or Dark Blue) on the fuselage between the cowl and cockpit.

I'm bothered by the color demarcations on the leading edge of the wing - they should terminate beneath the leading edge, not at the leading edge.

Also, the outer wing panels suggest that they may have been Blue Gray - they were certainly delivered in overall Blue Gray, and many aircraft were repainted on the upper surfaces only before Briggs was able to switch to the newer scheme on it subcontract.

A good photo of the after fuselage would probably settle this once and for all.  I've checked all of my pix, hoping for a shot with #22 somewhere in the background - but no luck.  I don't think you'll have a great problem if you mimic the scheme seen in the photo of 465 (pulling the prop thru), but that's really just a guess.

Good luck with the model - sorry for the bum steer, and wish I had more to offer on the scheme!

Cheers,

Dana

Re: F4U-1 "Birdcage", named "Arkansas Traveler". In my honest take on her scheme, she is a Goodyear FG-1, as her paint demarcation looks like what Goodyear was doing in late February/ early March on their F4U-1's. I don't have a way to upload pics, but if you send me an email, I will share an early Goodyear scheme that matches this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kind of disagree with Dana's take on the scheme, hence my description above. I have a photo of early Goodyear Corsairs in a book in a lineup at Akron with varied 3/4 tone application and mixed markings, from 6 position to 4 position transition and a few with no markings just Counter Shading Schemes applied!

Alfonso 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In that pic you can see, CLEARLY, the clean transition on the outer wing panels demarcation on the leading edge from N.S. Sea Blue to Intermediate Blue along the leading edge outer panels! PLUS, 4 position markings are CLEARLY evident! Even though Goodyear kept her after U.S.N. acceptance, she shows how Goodyear was doing the Scheme, Vs how Vought and Brewster were doing it!

Alfonso

• Thanks 1

Martin and I in the past have discussed a significant Corsair from a Canadian perspective which is Robert Hampton Grey's Corsair. Specifically the one he was flying that earned him posthumously the Victoria Cross.  Any thoughts on that one?

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In theater, The South Pacific, keep in mind that due to "Coral Blasting" the forward/rear ares of the prop, the cowling and wing fronts and fuselage take the brunt of the wear... Hopefully I'm being clear on this! Hard to type the talk, so to speak, but...yeah! LOL

Alfonso 

• Thanks 1