The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Which magnifiers do you all use??

olfogey

I am considering purchase of a head-band magnifier ( hands free ), to assist me with my eye-sight issues, and so that I can possibly keep my "WnW" builds active, instead of having to give them up............

I'm curious how many here use these, and what kind?? I'd like to hear your advice.........( I'm 62, life-long bifocal glasses wearer & this will be a "first for me").

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Thanks for the tips guys! :)

I'm leaning toward the "Optivisor"...........part of me is tempted to go the cheaper route due to fixed income & never having had one before,

but I think the extra $$$ spent would be worth it in the long run.

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Hi Jim

I've never used an Optivisor, but have a generic optivisor type head worn magnifier.

All I can say is that it does the job. Mine came with a set of four plastic magnifying lenses which clip into place (two can be used together to give extra magnification). It isn't exactly stylish and the headband is plastic/vinyl that needs a piece of cloth or the like wrapping around it to stop your head sweating (urgghh).

It has a small LED which does cast a little light, but best used in conjunction with a lamp.

Works for me... wear it almost all the time for modelling...

Matt

• 5 weeks later...

I was a reluctant optivisor customer thinking, well, they will be clunky and if anyone walks into my office I will look like a right eejit..

..then I bought some...

..changed my life completely - they are brilliant and I wonder now how I ever did anything without them

highly recommended - think I got mine on ebay for about £30 and they are the most essential tool I own..

Peter

After trying several magnifiers including Dental Loupes I picked up the Opti-Visor, mine came with #7, x2.75 magnificaion, 6" focal.  I got an extra lens plate #4, x2 magnification, 10" focal.  I wear bifocal glasses and am basically blind without them.  I used the #7 and was happy.  Then I tried the #4 and the 10" working distance works well for me.

The #4 stays on all the time.

Color me happy.

I picked up a "head band magnifier" with twin led's,and extra swing down monocle at the local surplus store for $12.....and it's just fine! Need my bifocles under it though. Also use a mag lamp. Also have x4 dollar store magnifiers. Can get every focal range with that lot.

I also use the OptiVisor, but also have a magnifying lamp as well as one of those "Extra Hands" thingies with the weighted base and magnifying glass.

Of the three, I REALLY love the OptiVisor.

(Does this leave any of you with the impression that I am getting blind as a bat?) ;)

• 4 weeks later...