The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

B-24 help

Eli Raphael

Hola Señor! Good to see you here! I cannot help you with the research but just wanted to say hello! Did anyone suggest The Green Hornet for your decal sheet. This was the B 24 shot down  that was the subject of the movie Unbreakable about Ernie Zamperini and his time as a POW.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Eli Raphael said:

Thanks!

Would be useful if the different Japanese mission cities would be readable. Any ideas?

It may actually be necessary to go to the unit records and check the flight logs or mission assignments for each aircraft. I know that at least for the RCAF, people have had luck that way.  Hmmm

GREAT pics, Martin!  I know you’ve pulled off some miracles for me, personally, and it’ll be great if all this might even help in the possibility of future nose art down the road. 😙

B-24s are so incredibly overlooked in the modeling community. Now, if HK gives us that Marauder we all want….. 

But alas, Jennings says it’ll never happen, and he’s always right, correct? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Hi Eli,

you are most welcome. ,,,if I am not mistaken these pictures were posted also in the Life magazine. There is a way to get to the archives and check. Yellow makes sense so as the name letters, but need to verify. 

I don't think there's a map under the flag, to me it looks like a mushroom cloud. 

Cheers

Martin 

There are also a tiny names written under the respective windows of the pilot, navigator, etc.

• Bernard J. Breiter-Co-Pilot
  • Thomas G. Page-Navigator
  • Francis Pouls-Pilot
  • Stephen G. Coffey-Bombardier
  • Donald G. Hallman-Tailgunner
  •  Harold Kilpatrick-Assistant Engineer
  • Richard W. Martin-Waistgunner
  • Lloyd J. Rainbolt-Engineer
  • Alex C. Shinsky-Radio+Top Turret Gunner

4 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

There are also a tiny names written under the respective windows of the pilot, navigator, etc.

• Bernard J. Breiter-Co-Pilot
  • Thomas G. Page-Navigator
  • Francis Pouls-Pilot
  • Stephen G. Coffey-Bombardier
  • Donald G. Hallman-Tailgunner
  •  Harold Kilpatrick-Assistant Engineer
  • Richard W. Martin-Waistgunner
  • Lloyd J. Rainbolt-Engineer
  • Alex C. Shinsky-Radio+Top Turret Gunner

It would be useful to see where were they located

• B-24J-5-CO "Lil Audrey Grows Up"
  • Unit: 431st BS, 11th BG
  • USAAF Serial: 42-73016

The tail markings were as per unit three stripes, in white with the serial in standard position. 

image.jpeg.04027b8b9c76ef0a150a4a3b0d70c43f.jpeg

I would follow this as an example.

image.jpeg.a1fd75a5f8a671e301cefd837424ed4b.jpeg

Eli, if you look closely , you will see the name of navigator under his little window and pilot's name just ahead of the sliding canopy portion.

Consolidated_B-24_Liberator_Crew_by_100_Mission_7th_AAF_Liberator_Lil_Audrey_PTO.jpeg.1f2f3f7a885a1bfbbe397a8245e5c707.jpeg.20483d0fb9d0f3692f142e2e4cc1aa05.jpegbhb.jpeg.6daaf39e8df08257b1704a88ebae77d2.jpeg.786ced7ecad5f02ef41ff04673948317.jpeg