The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

P-51 racer "Risky Business" up next

18 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work on the prop, wheels, seat and IP. Construction is following your meticulous build techniques.

Thanks. I'm going to do another prop and use chrome silver instead of the Alclad aluminum since the real one was chrome. We'll see how it turns out.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Looking good John and having no barrels makes that fitting a bit easier it looks.;)

Thank you Kevin. It was still a problem but not quite as bad. Lots of putty and sanding. LOL :)

• Like 1

Hi John

Nice progress for sure and I'm with Kev as not having to fit the MG/leading edge fairing is a huge plus and I'm also right with you that there surely was a lot of putty and sanding to smooth things out just the same.   

Geez, why can't someone bring out a P-51 without those awful parts and just mold a clean wing without those horribly fitting parts and NO rivets. Revell was halfway there and then shot themselves in the foot. I think we're capable of getting the seam line on the leading edge squared away a lot easier without those terrible, never fitting parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Hi John

Nice progress for sure and I'm with Kev as not having to fit the MG/leading edge fairing is a huge plus and I'm also right with you that there surely was a lot of putty and sanding to smooth things out just the same.   

Geez, why can't someone bring out a P-51 without those awful parts and just mold a clean wing without those horribly fitting parts and NO rivets. Revell was halfway there and then shot themselves in the foot. I think we're capable of getting the seam line on the leading edge squared away a lot easier without those terrible, never fitting parts.

I guess it is what it is Peter and we just have to work with it. It makes for a "learning experience" (I hate that phrase!) and you know what to expect on future builds.

• Like 1

Agreed just wish that the guys that actually design the kits as part of their job would have to build it as well and learn first hand what the build issues are. 

Sure might help!

• Like 1

John

Nice progress for sure and looking mighty good - just love those Unlimited Racers.

About 80% of the painting is done and I expect to get the rest done either later today or tomorrow AM. Coming along pretty well. :)

• Like 1

Painting completed. I'll attach the gear, flaps and ailerons next. Decals are on the way so it should be ready for them when they get here. Some areas will need some clear gloss before applying them however.

10-23-23 001.jpg

10-23-23 002.jpg

10-23-23 003.jpg

• Like 2