Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

RFI Tamiya 1/48 Tiger 1 Diorama , "After Kursk ...."

PanzerWomble

So Tammys 2004 tooling of an early one Trifle air filters and everything ..., no Zimm to muck around with ...in Russland . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Only 2 options unless I fancy masking or digging through the spares box , both Wehrmacht , 503rd SchPzAbt in Russia (but could well by Ukraine by then)  in August 1943 ...or the 502 SchPzAbt also in Russia "Summer 1943".. the 502 is dunkelgelb only and the kit is missing the links around the turret as per below 

Bundesarchiv-Bild-101-I-698-0038-04-Russ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This sequent looks great .....but water dios don't shift afterwards ..that damage of the air cleaners though ....

Date: Monday, 4 October 1943
Place: Znamenka, Tambovskaya oblast, Soviet Union
Photographer: Unknown

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger (8,8 cm L/56) Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz. 181) turmnummer 332 of schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503 carefully trying to make it's way out of the mud. S.Pz.Abt.503 was the only German heavy tank battalion to have two Balkenkreuz visible on each side, one on the hull and one on the turret near the identification numeral. The numbering featured black numerals with white outlines by this time. In October 1943, the battalion was in a rest area near Znamenka, where it had time to maintain and repair vehicles and conduct training. This sequence shows recovery training that was conducted on 4 October 1943.

Source:
Book "Tigers In Combat (1)" by Wolfgang Schneider 

Note early style mantlet , no reinforcing ribs and the rain guard. 

Tiger-I-number-311-schwere-panzer-abteil

Tiger-I-number-331-s-Pz-Abt-503-3.jpg

Similar looking village in background 

Below - front vehicle has more standard mantlet , 332 second in line .

Tiger-I-number-332-321-331-s-Pz-Abt-503.

Germans standardised everything ...wrong ...503 like bolting on old PzIII/IV stowage bins as per below 

Panzerkampfwagen-Tiger-tank-stuck-mud-re

Tiger-tank-number-332.jpg

Stuckerised ....

Panzer-Tiger-recovery-training.jpg

Jerry can , lacks of track cable,  helmets a wealth of incidental details 

Loader gets the worst job ...

Note missing first wheel ...might be damage ......might have been deliberated removed to help with mud clearance . 

Tiger-332-mud-autumn.jpg

So .......... panzers maarsch ! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A good day ...look at all those wheels ...and the weights Tamiya use now instead of the metal hulls . 

image.jpg

Upper hull has old school grills that can be viewed though, these will be backed by black styrene card. 

image.jpg

Turret built in 30 minutes ...replaced the odd solid hatch handles with wire bent using my new wire bender . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lower hull and turret blasted with Vallejo german primer , and then Tamiya's "new" dunklegelb . 

image.jpg

Next up , to complete upper hull, and get the tracks on , then upper and lower hulls can be joined. I like these 1/48 , they are real shake and bake weekend kits , but lend themselves to all the usual armour tricks that can be done in 1/35. 

Laterz 

PW 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KevinM said:

So that

s were the wig went !!Nice work Guy and yes I would think that those 1/48 would make great dios 2for the price of 1 in size.:unworthy:

You win a prize, I've not tried it before but using fake fur for thatch . I've a few different lengths coming so we will see the results 

I'm enjoying working in the smaller scale after years of 1/35.

• Like 4

• PanzerWomble changed the title to RFI Tamiya 1/48 Tiger 1 Diorama , "After Kursk ...."
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...