The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F-4E Phantom II: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW, Korat, Vietnam 1968-69: More stencils..

Nice start on the stenciling Chris. The Sparrows look very nice too. If you're mounting them on the belly, you need only three of them as the ECM pod goes in one of the forward ones. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice start on the stenciling Chris. The Sparrows look very nice too. If you're mounting them on the belly, you need only three of them as the ECM pod goes in one of the forward ones. 

Due to a highly likely possibility of me screwing one up, I was planning on doing all four - just in case!!  Am already seeing where I could have done a better job attaching the fins so will pick out the best three.

Also, figured out an easier way to attach the pylons.  Taped them to the wing in the right spot, used a fine black liner pen to circle down through the original wing mounting holes and draw a circle on the top of the pylon.  Helps that I have not put the top and bottom wings together yet.   Drilled that out.  Amazingly, a toothpick is JUST about the right size and that gives me a tiny bit of wiggle room to make sure everything is straight.  Easier than cutting the mounting lugs off the kit pylons.  I had to order some more MRP Clear but used some Alclad clear for the bottom.  Not completely pleased with the result.  When it full dries will see how it looks before doing those stencils.

• Like 5

Test Fit #2.  Wanted to see how everything was working together, and to show myself some actual progress towards a completed plane.  This this is so large and has so many pieces that even right now I can disassemble the plane into 21 pieces.  And four screws.  :)  The fit looks to be pretty good so that is helpful.  Check me on that later...

Nothing is glued on, even the seats are just placed at the moment.  Nice to see it coming together and where I missed a spot with the masks on the top of the fuselage!.  This will be an easy fix...

The outer wing tanks are pressed into place while the pylons are taped on.  Still doubtful about making the Jul 3 deadline, but will keep on it till I'm done none the less.  The clear resin canopy pieces are a real pain to separate from their pour blocks.  I'm sure they will look AMAZING once done, however...

Have TWO sparrows done but have not started on the sidewinders or the ECM yet so still a lot to do on the build-out.  Landing gear is basically ready but have to work on the resin tires.

PXL_20240620_001458925.thumb.jpg.a073a3b850b2b2e650c77dfaff8f7d1b.jpgPXL_20240620_001527851.thumb.jpg.4b6d95d43c17a031c9420d2380271487.jpgPXL_20240620_001600659.thumb.jpg.6a74a7fc0109c6e8c742174686b61855.jpgPXL_20240620_001624461.thumb.jpg.4a48477c7d3fb446d71be01252ff0936.jpgPXL_20240620_001543458.thumb.jpg.c8a3eb3a0efae714f6298299cc843d9f.jpg

• Like 8

• CANicoll changed the title to Tamiya F-4E Phantom II: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW, Korat, Vietnam 1968-69: Test fit #2

Looking really good Chris, although I know close to nothing about the subject I still like your style and clean work. Now I need to call Carl, wake him up and bug him with some redundant questioning related to the differences between the J and N model. :)

Cheers

Martin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Looking really good Chris, although I know close to nothing about the subject I still like your style and clean work. Now I need to call Carl, wake him up and bug him with some redundant questioning related to the differences between the J and N model. :)

Cheers

Martin 

I'm not in bed yet! Trying to get the boys in bed and failing miserably at it though. 

As for an N, it's an updated B so thin wing is the big difference. Shorter burner cans too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chris

WOW, your F4 is looking mighty nice and BIG surely is the word. Guess you now know why I decided to work in 48th scale - space is reason number one. I have the ZM F4-E early and looking to build it this summer. Just hoping it comes out half as good as yours.

:construction: 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Chris

WOW, your F4 is looking mighty nice and BIG surely is the word. Guess you now know why I decided to work in 48th scale - space is reason number one. I have the ZM F4-E early and looking to build it this summer. Just hoping it comes out half as good as yours.

Peter, thank you!  Your work is always terrific - I just try and keep up.  I also have a ZM F-4C in 1/48 scale in the stash so may watch to see when you start your build.  🙂

The Tamiya bird is a big beast, however.  WOW.  The F-4 is heavier than I would have thought and that is without the resin missiles. I imagine it is those huge resin intakes and exhaust.  Can't image if I had done the resin radar equipment and cockpit sets as well.  The kit came with metal landing gear, and I opted to use resin tires, so it won't have the problem an old 1/32 Mustang I built has with the vinyl tires - they are flat-spotting.

Once I finish the last of the Sparrow missiles, I'm going to focus on the canopy and landing gear so the plane can be mostly complete.  The canopy is going to take some work. I'm sure...

• Like 4

Chris

Great plan and I'm glad you thought way ahead, especially about the F4's weight. Resin is a lot heavier then plastic and with the metal gear, you should be A-OK.

Just a pleasure to follow your progress and enjoy your build.

I might be starting the F4 sooner then later if the A-10's Quinta cockpit set is delayed. For the ZM F4E, I have both the Quinta set and the ASK masks set, so I am ready to roll, just in case. 

• Like 4

Usually this time of the year I'm outside doing things, but 95 yesterday, 99 today with an expected heat index of 110 so not going a lot outside.

Instead - making progress.  Attached the Reskit pylons to the main wings, which are now attached to the fuselage.  Used toothpicks to position the pylons in the original kit holes, and a bit of CA Gel for the attachment. Thanks again to Carl for the idea on how to sand the pylons to match to contour of the wing.PXL_20240622_015616519.thumb.jpg.be1d84b1173d872f579fa27572b61d8f.jpg

PXL_20240622_015507819.thumb.jpg.2388d1ef7d65d0fec22a659ef38996bc.jpg

• Like 7

Chris

Looking so good and things start to come together much quicker towards the final stages of the build. Just fight off the gremlins and take you time - don't worry about the July deadline as Martin will move your build to the LSM WIP forum so we can all continue to follow and enjoy your hard work.

On 6/21/2024 at 12:22 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

Ok, just messing around at the moment. 

PXL_20240621_042046404.thumb.jpg.0a08cf2c62f005eaa6312d022a09f6a3.jpg

I really want to finish the Eagle first. 

Carl

Holy smokes, you surely caught the bug and another F4 is underway, and I'll be front and center as always.

Nice start on the front office, as the side consoles look perfect.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks great there Chris. 

One thing in case you're not aware of, the rear bit of the lower fuselage should be metallic as well. 

DSC_0001-L.jpg

Carl,  Thanks for pointing that out.  I originally had missed that so am planning on going back and repainting that and a couple of other places.  I have to do some alterations to the side pieces to allow the burner cans and tubes to slide in anyway.  There is a tab on the inside I need to remove from those pieces.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Chris

Looking so good and things start to come together much quicker towards the final stages of the build. Just fight off the gremlins and take you time - don't worry about the July deadline as Martin will move your build to the LSM WIP forum so we can all continue to follow and enjoy your hard work.

Thanks Peter!  I'm making slow but methodical progress on the stencils.  OMG why am I doing this to myself!!!  Taking it stages so doing a little bit at a time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Carl,  Thanks for pointing that out.  I originally had missed that so am planning on going back and repainting that and a couple of other places.  I have to do some alterations to the side pieces to allow the burner cans and tubes to slide in anyway.  There is a tab on the inside I need to remove from those pieces.

Chris, happy to help out as always. It's easier to fix it now rather than later with  possibly all the stencils in the way.

Peter, I cheated a bit. It's the ZM F-4EJ that I'm doing as an RF-4EJ. Those are the kit decals over the moulded on details and a coat of flat clear. So quick and (sorta) easy. 

• Like 1