The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F-4E Phantom II: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW, Korat, Vietnam 1968-69: Test fit #2

Chris

I'm Quinta's number one fan and any work prepping parts is money in the bank. I'm not sure how many pieces I needed to remove the relief from on my Tomcat but once the Quita decals are in place; it's an amazing transformation:construction:

• Like 2

Peter, you are right, and I even missed at least two more pieces that need to be prepped.  As you pointed out, once the pieces are in place, it going to look amazing.

• Like 2

One issue I'm having to work with is the Tamiya instruction sheet diagram of the IP panels does not quite match up with what the Quinta IP decals look like.  In most instances, such as the side panels, the Quinta pieces are definitely a nice representation.  However, for the main IPs, the differences are pretty apparent.  This is where my lack of detailed research and knowledge about the F-4 shows itself.  This build may not be the most accurate of aircraft builds I've done. 

The front scope is of a very different shape between the Tamiya and the Quinta sets.

PXL_20240327_014132167.thumb.jpg.1266cc013246fbe92acb10ea17833d69.jpg

The shape and size of the scope here is particularly different.  This is the Quinta set for the F-4EJ, too.

PXL_20240327_014211673.thumb.jpg.fb83cba1749791655afb3b6454b6c2f7.jpg

Most of the cockpit parts are primed and will be painted the cockpit color this week, then we will see how the Quinta set works with this cockpit. 

• Like 7

Chris

There is an early and late F4E Qunita set in 48th scale and maybe the same in 32nd scale, but I'm not sure and that might be the issue of what you are seeing. My motto, just go for it and use the Quinta set and enjoy the build. For my money, once the Front Office is finished and mainly detailed with the Quinta set, it's going to look fantastic.

:construction: 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Chris

There is an early and late F4E Qunita set in 48th scale and maybe the same in 32nd scale, but I'm not sure and that might be the issue of what you are seeing. My motto, just go for it and use the Quinta set and enjoy the build. For my money, once the Front Office is finished and mainly detailed with the Quinta set, it's going to look fantastic.

:construction: 

Thanks Peter, and I agree with you.  I'm just going to use what I have and I'm sure I'll be happy with the result.  The Quinta set I have says early E/EJ and I'm using the Tamiya EJ kit, but not stressing about it.  Eyeballing it I do not think there will be major problem getting the pieces in place.  

I did look at some reviews and build threads on the F-4 and several people noted the extensive stenciling on the F-4, and how on the SEA planes the stenciling varied from white (on green background) to black (on tan background).  So ordered a set of stencils.  THREE SHEETS!!! The stenciling may take me to Christmas...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Chris, I'm guessing but I would think the F4EJ's would be late F4's - just go for it and the overall incredible detail will be a knockout.

When it comes to stencils, Phantoms are the Queen of the skies and covered in them head to toe. I'm using more and more stencils these days as compared to years past when I didn't use very many except on my Phantoms. Just take your time and they will eventually get done and look mighty good.

On the Big Cat, the Furball and Tamiya sheets have what seems like thousands of them - just look how many decals I used on the missiles - once you start, it's hard to stop. 😉

• Like 2

Peter, I still can't believe your missiles!! I think I'll be going blind when I get to mine, but yours look amazing so I at least have a target to shoot for.

I did see where even the camo'd Phantoms were still covered in stencils, so I'll be setting aside extra patience (and reference materials!) for that task.  Just pulled the Tamiya sheet with the stencils - it was hidden in the bottom of the box, face down so white on white.  Just found it.  Over 300....Ugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are several IP panels in the Tamiya kit. Some are for the C/D kit so beware. 

When I did my R, it looks like I used the panel you have. 

As for the EJ, they were fairly early E builds. None have a slatted wing for example, not even when they got updated to the Kai standard. 

• Like 4

Carl, Thanks.  I did see a number of IP Panels and finally looked at the back of the instruction booklet to see which parts don't get used.  Thanks for the note.

Chris

• Like 2

Chris

Very much appreciated. I'm positive your stencils will come out the equal of mine. The whole key to adding all the stencils, especially Tamiya decals (not sure how old the ones in your kit are, as their newer kits, the decals have improved 100%) is to have a super glossy finish prior to slowly adding them - of course, it's going to take a good few days plus, just take your time. After the decals have set up and dried, I re-gloss them to seal the decals plus blend in the carrier fil. Then I go with my final clear of semi gloss or semi mat, just not a flat finish. Being 32nd scale, it should hopefully be less strain on the eyes  :X:. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding a good 100 or so more stencils to the Big Cat and then I'll be stenciled out for sure.

• Like 4

• CANicoll changed the title to Tamiya F-4E Phantom: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW at Korat, Vietnam 1968/1969: Problems!!

Sigh, it has been a weekend!  First as I get ready to lay down some cockpit colors, my air compressor tank springs a pinhole leak.  I clearly have not been very good at draining the tank like I should.  Ok, have a temp until the new compressor shows up tomorrow.  Got the cockpit color laid down.  Yay!

THEN, as I move through the instruction book, time to work on the rear horizontal stabilizers.  Umm WHAT stabilizers??  The entire J sprue is missing.  I knew when I bought the kit the clear nose was gone, and the GT intakes were added.  Nobody said anything about the stabilizers going away.  Sent a message to Tamiya USA to see how I can get another J Sprue for this kit.

There really are NOT that many steps to this build.  The cockpit is the bulk of the work.

• Like 6

I'll take a look and see if I have a spare stab set. For some reason I have spare gear legs and a full canopy set so who knows. 

And yes, once you're done with the cockpit, most of the build goes quickly. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I'll take a look and see if I have a spare stab set. For some reason I have spare gear legs and a full canopy set so who knows. 

And yes, once you're done with the cockpit, most of the build goes quickly. 

Carl, Thank you!  I have a lot of extra ordinance I won't be using so happy to send your way regardless.    Cheers,
Chris

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Carl, Thank you!  I have a lot of extra ordinance I won't be using so happy to send your way regardless.    Cheers,
Chris

Well, a bit of good news but some bad too. I do have a spare stab set but it's incomplete. It's missing the upper starboard stab. I'll check my other spares boxes and see if it's migrated. So close...

PXL_20240331_021304361.thumb.jpg.ad52bb32f3578c2c432b125afe8667a3.jpg

• Like 7

Carl, Well, We are 3/4 there, then   LOL!!  :piliot:

Tried to thin out the Gatling Gun cover, which went great, until the end when I broke one vent.  Oh well.  It was worth the 40 min using a sanding stick to thin the inside and then finish with a #11 blade (hence the break).  At least its on the underside and will be hard to see.  Will see about fixing the break...

PXL_20240331_013119989.jpg

PXL_20240331_013141161.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Sigh, it has been a weekend!  First as I get ready to lay down some cockpit colors, my air compressor tank springs a pinhole leak.  I clearly have not been very good at draining the tank like I should.  Ok, have a temp until the new compressor shows up tomorrow.  Got the cockpit color laid down.  Yay!

THEN, as I move through the instruction book, time to work on the rear horizontal stabilizers.  Umm WHAT stabilizers??  The entire J sprue is missing.  I knew when I bought the kit the clear nose was gone, and the GT intakes were added.  Nobody said anything about the stabilizers going away.  Sent a message to Tamiya USA to see how I can get another J Sprue for this kit.

There really are NOT that many steps to this build.  The cockpit is the bulk of the work.

Chris

It's always something for sure. Now the compressor tank developed a hole, a new compressor is on order and the stabilators are missing. :hsmack: Hopefully Carl has a spare set for you and if you need Tamiya customer service, I used them at least a half dozen times and never disappointed - awesome customer service. Easiest way just used the website. 

Nice repair on the gatling gun over vent. Looks mighty good.🤞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Making progress despite not having the compressor yet - or maybe because of it!  The Quinta set went on beautifully.  My initial hesitation with the different scope designs on the kit pieces compared to the Quinta set proved to be non-issues.  A bit of work with a razor saw and sanding pad and Poof!  Everything fits perfectly. 

For the IPs, and apologies for not taking in-process pictures, a bit of cutting made the difference.  For part F-24 (left IP in the picture below), cutting the circular scope extension back to the shorter piece (which is where the base is solid) worked perfectly.  For Part F26, merely cutting the circular scope back flush with the panel and sanding off the raised knobs and switches allowed the Quinta pieces (5 and 29) to sit perfectly.

One note, the MRP color call out for USAF Interior Gray is not as blue as the Quinta pieces.  Probably ok for the little bit you see on the IPs, but I may look at re-spraying the cockpit tub and sidewalls to obtain a better match.

PXL_20240331_165609331.thumb.jpg.eb1e6e3b9fdae51592ef97e095e39df2.jpg

Have not quite put all the Quinta pieces on yet, but made good progress this morning on the front office:

PXL_20240331_142911898.thumb.jpg.35543fb39dbc1197ffd6663475c46d96.jpg

Happy Easter everyone!

• Like 8

Lookin good there Chris. 

It's funny. On the gun vents, I have to fill mine in as I'll be doing a F-4G with my kit. If the broken but really gets to you, there should be alone on the clear nose sprue. 

• Like 3

Thanks Carl, I'll probably give it a go with some stretched sprue, but am not going to stress about it.  Unfortunately, I don't have the clear nose sprue as that didn't come with this kit - it was removed and the GT Resin intakes substituted.  That's ok!

• Like 4

• CANicoll changed the title to Tamiya F-4E Phantom: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW at Korat, Vietnam 1968/1969: Update

I'm wondering if I picked the right kit for this build.  The Quinta cockpit set for the EJ aircraft is actually missing a complete IP, and instead has parts for an IP that is not used in the EJ variant. Hmmm.  The characteristic metal tail of the F-4 had an uncharactistically HUGE mould line down the middle of the part. The nose also was almost impossible to put together without having a pronounced seam which I've started working on.  Otherwise, things are progressing well.  :rofl:

Despite the challenges, the cockpit looks really nice with the Quinta set in place.  The color I used for the cockpit is FS 36321, Dark Gull Gray which the references I used said is the correct color.  The Quinta set definitely is more of a light blue/gray.

PXL_20240401_004325037.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.8457e8dc34af7187473b0cd8a2a012b6.jpg

PXL_20240401_004342937.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.236cfbe1163cdd9ba5c83878795180d9.jpg

The Quinta IP question 

On the N sprue is the IP for the RIO which sits on the separation between the front and rear cockpit.  Quinta doesn't have any pieces for this IP, instead, they have the pieces for the F35 IP, which is not used on the EJ aircraft.

PXL_20240331_231924115.thumb.jpg.51f347496dc359b6211fb07eda7701f2.jpg

PXL_20240401_004405899.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.103dbfdb637e29f3de8119a070ec4b87.jpg

Strange...

Started working on the metal tail, removing that mould line.  Again, I should have taken the 'before' picture. 

PXL_20240401_001358124.thumb.jpg.407b428b30cb356f6cf800e56df30d3b.jpg

Ditto on the nose.  Despite working slowly and using Extra Thin, could not get the two halves to join up without creating a seam.  Working on that, too.  The sanding sticks are getting real workout on this build.  The gatling gun won't be seen once the nose is buttoned up hence no detailing.  Also, the muzzle end piece will be added before I put the rest of the cover on. 

PXL_20240401_004205742.thumb.jpg.6d9bafca5d9f1fd461c06aa4c723d8c0.jpgPXL_20240401_004212384.thumb.jpg.52a55e9796ac52704fe30c7ef8703854.jpg

Making progress!  The seats are up next...

• Like 7