Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Hs 129B-2 by Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) 1/48 -- two different dioramas

44 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

hmmm....that towing dio looks great ...maybe buy another one for the am later ?  

I know ..I'm a bad man etc 

I've been seriously thinking hard about it.  Would be a quick build as I wouldn't have any need for AM and can leave off the wings, and it's a fairly simple kit.  I can build it at the same time, and use it for practice on my current kit which I've already started cutting up for the CMK aftermarket.

I did find the color profile for this plane which is 0297 "Blue C":

image.png.043dbdfab661e03a88f972566340171d.png

I don't have the Tamiya 4x2, but do have this SOL MM067 Opel Blitz truck which I think is the same truck:

image.png.55f6097f9b64d6910c3c44141c097f4a.png

Then again, I just found out that someone built this same diorama almost a decade ago, though in 1/72 scale :(  Maybe I'll have to try it in 1/48:

https://imodeler.com/2015/04/zu-fus-a-hs129-retreating-in-the-desert-in-1942-on-foot/

image.thumb.png.93b2de7605dda9f04d3014bb64f3714d.png

• Like 7

Some interesting tidbits about this particular plane/scene in the pictures from the imodeler  link above:

Well, quite likely 🙂 thepic is from the Luftwaffe In Focus 2003/2 - more on this plane: This is no 0297 werknummer Hs129B2 assigned to No. 4 (PZ) / SG2. The unit was officially founded in June 1942 in Deblin-Irena and flew missions from EL Adem and this particular plane served by 11 July 1942 onwards. Shortly after arriving in El Adem this machine withdrawn from service because they were not part of the dust filter replacement on hand, the filters are so beat down of the engine power to the load machines was dangerous to fly. The fly records also show why it is not resolved the moving to new air bases by overflows: Due to the powder the Gnome engines oil consumption at the time of a 200km flight was 24 liter (normal value such term would been 4-5 liters !) that was the 70% of the total oil tank capacity - ie a longer flight time risked ruining the engine.

The picture taken during the retreat of the unit from Barani, backed by Stehereasat and Misurata toward the busiest airports in Tunisia. In the course 0297 in Melhala was shattered after a sandstorm and left "destroyed" status reported. On 01.23.1943, the British marched into Melhala and found the machine that was returned to England and repaired under NF756 number. After repairing flight tests undergone (1426 Record-Keeping 6/23/1943). The machine was stored until 1947 in Brize Norton as "foreign equipment" then unfortunately scrapped. The unit - 4 (PZ) / SG 2 - after the retreat settled in Berlin Staaken for filling and relaxation. The last three working machines saved and brought back from Africa was handed over to the 8 (PZ) / SG-2's (eastern front). Several pictures were taken of this "C" during the retreat (which is why this diorama titled "Zu FUS - Somewhere In North Africa). On the canvas below the canopy clearly visible the Werknummer painted on. Also seen on the truck the BK101 gun's cover while the expensive new weapon probably shipped separately in a weapon crate. The wings also shipped separately as the Opel blitz 4x2 has limited cargo capability.

• Like 6

Mike

Thanks for the background story and it was quite a story. Agreed it would make a nice diorama and maybe in a small convoy with more figures and clutter.

Still would like to see you do your entry as originally planned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Peter!

I definitely will build one all opened up as intended.  I already am done that road as I started cutting parts out of the fuselage.  

I think I can squeeze in a second diorama build as this kit is fairly simple (only 9 build steps).  Plus, without the wings and with the tarps, the second should be a fairly quick build.  And, it will allow me to make perfect use of the Opel Blitz kit to reduce the slash.  I don’t want to overestimate my ability to get both done by the end of the year though!  At least the paints, etc. Will all be the same so there will be efficiencies.

I agree though, maybe a little more clutter and it will look the part.  @PanzerWomble - I’ll probably be bugging you for advice on how to do the sand, etc. since you’re an expert!

Hmm, sounds like I’ve convinced myself to start a second diorama.  Thanks @Martinnfb!  First you send me a detailed rivet plan, now you have me doing a second diorama!  😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'd go for "inspired by" rather than trying for a 1:48 replica of a photo , it's a real rabbit hole going down that route in my experience. 

Hamster bathing sand is about as fine a sand as there is easily available , not sure for 1/48 but will do a trial and report back 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Yeah, I guess I will be doing two builds...

Well, I found my SOL Models Opel Blitz kit - actually found out that I had two of them, ugh - so with that, I ended up picking up an older Hasegawa Hs 129B-1 kit off eBay for a good deal.  

The B-1 and the B-2 were very similar, with the only difference being that the B-1 had what looks like intakes under the engine nacelles.  Otherwise, the two kits use the same parts.  I figured that I should be able to easily convert the B-1 nacelles to that of the B-2 (since the "Blue C" in the picture was a B-2) as it looks like I just need to cut off the exhausts and I can hide any issues as they were covered by tarps anyway.  Along with getting the B-1 for a great price, the other good thing is that it has decals for an "O" scheme that I can use as a template to create a mask for the "C" that I need. 

So, off I go with two builds.  Thanks again Martin :) 

• Like 5

Last night, I started work on the cockpit.  The CMK set has a nice replacement tub that includes the fuel tank behind the pilot's seat.  To display that fuel tank, you need to cut off the part of the fuselage that covered it, which you can see in the top fuselage half below:

IMG_1513.thumb.JPG.4e8c959c698e544e581c53a26f04f745.JPG

Next up was trying to fit the CMK tub.  It was a bit too big for the fuselage halves to close properly, but after sanding back some of the interior of the fuselage and portions of the tub that will not be visible, it fit nicely:

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.8234236561ded98de91375692307ee7b.JPG

IMG_1526.thumb.JPG.3e8bb75019bf0128a682c2cfbf828a64.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Then again, I just found out that someone built this same diorama almost a decade ago, though in 1/72 scale

Who cares? How many Michael Wittmann Tigers are out there. Or any Mustang you care to name. Just do it. It looks cool.

And lots of opportunity to scratch build stuff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Count0 said:

Who cares? How many Michael Wittmann Tigers are out there. Or any Mustang you care to name. Just do it. It looks cool.

100% agree , my recent U-boat was entirely inspired by another's model (Scott Withers 'Drowning Wolf' in 2017)  , even posted his original in my build. 

Hmm two 129s ..poor Mike ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Count0 said:

5 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

100% agree , my recent U-boat was entirely inspired by another's model (Scott Withers 'Drowning Wolf' in 2017)  , even posted his original in my build. 

Hmm two 129s ..poor Mike ! 

Thanks guys - it's a go for me.  Should be fun!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Landlubber Mike changed the title to Hs 129B-2 by Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) 1/48 -- two different dioramas

2nd that Nice start reminds me of the machine shop back in the 80's when roller rockers were starting to hit the market.We were building a 350 for overseas $400 set of rockers out of the box to the grinder to fit  :hsmack:The moral it never fits 1/2 the time.;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I managed to find a 2000 boxing on eBay for a really good deal, so I will do two dioramas (especially since I already have an Opel Blitz kit I can use for the tow vehicle).  It's for a B-1, but really the only difference is the intakes on the nacelles so I can easily convert it.  Another good thing is that this kit has an "O" decal, which I can use as a template to create a mask the Blue "C" for the subject I'm doing.

boxcover.png.33635bfe75dad23cdf1fcc0e2fb7e1ca.png

I've spent the last few days working on the various CMK sets, cutting them from their plugs, cutting open the fuselage and wings, etc.  Here you can see what was cut from the first kit versus what the original parts look like from the second kit.  Given that the second diorama will be covered in tarps and partially disassembled, I probably won't use much aftermarket at all on it.

IMG_1581.thumb.JPG.9b8c8eb87ebf4ad980d6c602dcc3fd61.JPG

IMG_1580.thumb.JPG.4a64139e538fd43fe0b3f54ab0572d19.JPG

IMG_1579.thumb.JPG.c50bfccd4048dc66fa1883ab9ad8aa71.JPG

If you're building this with the various CMK sets, the wing/undercarriage details need to be modified to fit everything in the wings.  You have to really shave back the undercarriage tubs to be able to fit the wing fuel tanks from the CMK exterior set.  I also had to cut an opening into the fuselage to fit the ammo magazine from the armament set.

IMG_1583.thumb.JPG.1514f0487753ea86aaed85bc7c2a27ea.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 7

So the fuselage and the wings have a very faint line, kinda like a crease or an indentation as you can see in the picture below (between the open panel and the unopened one):

IMG_1582.thumb.JPG.40335b2b817809b3f084b2187ef53470.JPG

Is this something that will be covered up/filled with primer, or do I need to try and fill it?  Any suggestions?  Since the wings on my second diorama are removed from the plane, I actually ended up using the wings from the older kit as the lines were much fainter than those on the newer Hobby 2000 kit -- proof that the same molds are being used.  

• Like 4

Hey Mike,

Seems like there are a few lines there - also lower right from the bottom right corner of the opening you made.  My suggestion is to do a quick spray of primer to see if it is cosmetic or if there really is a bit of a 'valley' there.  I've tried running my finger over those lines to see if I could feel for a gulf, that never seems to find one.  Primer always does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chris - and good eye, I didn't see that second line!  I think it might only be visible on high magnification but I'll keep an eye out now that I know about it.  I'll try a coat of primer to see if the lines are visible and then go from there.  Maybe a light dabbing of Mr. Putty will do the trick.  Thanks!

• Like 2