1/32 Eduard WGr 21 for Bf 109G

Mikester

• Members

Bf 109G WGr 21 for Revell Kit (632034)

Catalog # 632034
Available from Eduard for $19.95 US
Bunny Fighter Club price: $16.96 US

007_zps86e7ad1f.jpg

As the 8th Air Force began to flex their muscle the Luftwaffe was obliged to find ways for their fighter aircraft to effectively deal with the "Viermots".  The tight formations flown by USAAF heavy bombers allowed their defensive heavy machine guns to provide mutual cover to one another, and such a combat box was an extremely dangerous environment for a fighter aircraft to fly through. The WGr 21 air launched rocket enabled the German pilots to attack their bomber targets from a safer distance of over a kilometer, where the risk of being hit was much reduced. Although extremely inaccurate, the rockets did not have to destroy the bombers, only cause them to take evasive action that would disrupt their protective formation, making them vulnerable to conventional attack. While a single fighter's payload of two or four such rockets was extremely unlikely to score a hit, a mass launch by an entire fighter squadron (12-16 aircraft) as it arrived to intercept the bombers would likely score two or three hits, about 15% accuracy. The rocket's huge blast radius also compensated for inaccuracy, and even a non-lethal hit on a bomber by a showering of shrapnel would have psychological effects and perhaps cause it to take evasive manœuvres that would drive it from the protection of its fellows.

JG 1 and JG 11 were the first front line units to utilize the weapon during the spring of 1943. During the autumn of 1943 the Bf 110 G-2 Zerstörer of ZG 26 and ZG 76 were also equipped with it.

These weapons were also sometimes used against ground targets from late 1943 onwards, such as in the Italian campaign 1943–44, the 1944 Normandy campaign and during the Ardennes Offensive.

wheel_0001_zpsa6054077.jpg

FW190-Granatwerfer2_zpsa4241fd0.jpg

Messerschmitt-Me-410-Hornisse-13_zps27d3

Surprisingly this item has been long neglected in the large scale Bf 109 world.  Neither Hasegawa or Trumpeter elected to include it in their 109s and it's absent in the Revell kit as well.  Jerry Rutman did a resin set back in his hay-day and Schatton-Modellbau produces the tubes (only) in metal but a comprehensive set has been lacking for some time.  Eduard to the rescue!  We finally have an add-on for the rocket launchers complete with the tubes, rockets and mounting hardware.  This opens some very cool possibilities for paints schemes including Graf's G-5, "Green 1" from JGr. 50 with the red tulip on the nose!

016_zpsbf5b6fe2.jpg

018_zps49643502.jpg

Examining the contents of the blister pack we're treated to what's become the norm for Eduard's Brassin series, razor sharp casting free of any bubbles or flaws, they've got this stuff down!  Some of the initial buzz on this item was that the tubes were a little thick.  I can't disagree with this however I've included a photo of the Schatton-Modellbau metal tubes for a side by side comparison.  As you can see the Brassin resin tubes are only marginally thicker than the metal ones.  Additionally they have all the detail present that's much harder to replicate on the metal tubes, indeed it's conspicuously absent on the S-M metal tubes. 

015_zpsa550bd67.jpg

017_zps1ca344ff.jpg

011_zps05ba5d36.jpg

The set includes a set of full sized rockets as well as tips only for installation inside of the tubes.  These are every bit as impressive as the tubes in terms of detail.  The mounting brackets are accurately portrayed but will obviously be a bit fragile so some care exercised on the front end will pay dividends later.  A small sheet of photo-etch parts completes the package including a template for locating the brackets and the hook, very nice touch!

Although these are marketed for the Revell Bf 109 they should be easily adapted to fit on other aircraft that used the WGr 21, including the Fw 190 and Zerstörer aircraft.

rockets_zpse87c2ba4.jpg

So what's the verdict?

The set is long overdue and fills a big hole in the 109's arsenal.  The quality is superb and this set opens many possibilities for Luftwafffe grognards.  These are the droids you're looking for! 

Highly Recommended

Review copy courtesy of my wallet.

• Like 2

The tubes do look thick but as you say, this is really the only option for most modellers

Are mounting brackets resin I take it?

A shame they did not do more of this set in cast / turned metal - they obviously have the tech given their (excellent) 109 landing gear set

Now, out of interest has anyone actually seen a photo of Graf's G-5, "Green 1" from JGr. 50 with the red tulip on the nose with these rockets???

I have searched everywhere and can only see profiles, so am a little suspicious that this is one of those internet self-fulfilling prophecy type things - if you say it enough, and post enough profile pics, it becomes true!

No such photographs in the public domain to my knowledge Nick...

Nor even of the W.Nr.15915 with the red tulip marked nose. However, we do know that JG50 utilised both the wing mounted cannons and the W.Gr.21 mortars at various stages of their brief operational period in 1943, so it's highly likely that Graf had them fitted at some point.

S

• Members

The tubes do look thick but as you say, this is really the only option for most modellers

Are mounting brackets resin I take it?

A shame they did not do more of this set in cast / turned metal - they obviously have the tech given their (excellent) 109 landing gear set

Now, out of interest has anyone actually seen a photo of Graf's G-5, "Green 1" from JGr. 50 with the red tulip on the nose with these rockets???

I have searched everywhere and can only see profiles, so am a little suspicious that this is one of those internet self-fulfilling prophecy type things - if you say it enough, and post enough profile pics, it becomes true!

Nick, yes the brackets are resin.  As much I'd like to see Eduard get into turned metal products they're a different beast than the landing gear.  The landing gear are cast using relatively low melting point metals which is very similar to casting in resin, you can even use RTV molds with some alloys.  Turned metal parts require a lathe and machining which is a different discipline.

I've seem aluminum tubing at hobby shops that would present a more realistic scale thickness than either Eduard or S-M.  Some Archer raised rivet and weld seam decals could be used for the details on the tube.  Lion Roar also makes Nebelwerfer tubes (abeit in 1/35) that might be able to be adapted as well.

• Like 1