The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Barracuda Studios 1/32 Bf-109G Upperwings with Small Wheel Bulges (BR32169)

Mikester

• Members

Barracuda Studios 1/32 Bf-109G Upperwings with Small Wheel Bulges (BR32169)

Catalog # BR32169
Available from Barracuda Studios for $11.95 US

002_zps873de94f.jpg

When I first opened my Revell Erla G-10 I was a little dismayed at the lack of inclusion of both styles of wing wheel bulges.  After all these kits featured a modular design that was supposed to offer the builder the maximum amount of flexibility, at least this was the case with their G-6.  When I delved a little deeper into the Erla built G-10s I became even more confused.  It appears that most of the the Erla G-10s there are photos of have the smaller wing bulges that were not included in the kit, including the Erich Hartmann's mount that graces the box cover!

The Revell 109's overall are pretty darn good kits at a competitive price, although I do have a few complaints one thing I can't complain about is the amount of after-market goodies that have come along to address the areas on the kit that are less than stellar.

Barracuda Studios has provided a simple drop in replacement for the wheel bulge issue.

020_zpsdb3e369a.jpg

021_zpsa2724d41.jpg

Two upper inner wings sections with the smaller style wheel bulge cast in cream colored resin are provided in the set.  Details are razor sharp and free of flaws.

022_zpsc1af12a2.jpg

Here's a comparison of the kit part and the resin replacement.  The BarracudaCast part has also revised the shape of the "kidney" bulge on the wing, to quote Roy Sutherland "This section is also a correction for the G-6 kit, as the wheel bulges are molded incorrectly . The cross section of the bulge is reversed, with the high point of the bulge being inboard instead of outboard. This would prevent the tire from retracting into the gearbay. A fine distinction to be sure, but for 109 aficionados, we've done the hard work for you!"

So what's the verdict?

This set opens up many paint scheme options.  Indeed, many of the paint schemes Roy included on his decals sets for this kit feature the smaller bulge so I foresee this being a popular seller.  Exceptional quality casting doesn't hurt either.

Very Highly Recommended

Review copy courtesy of my wallet.

If you found this review helpful and decide to purchase this product, please tell them you read about it at Large Scale Modeller!

out of interest, are the kidney bulges also moulded incorrectly on the A2zee correction set?

we know Barracuda have an accuracy advantage over say just swapping in parts from another Revell kit, but how about when compared to other aftermarket?

thanks for these reviews

N

• Members

out of interest, are the kidney bulges also moulded incorrectly on the A2zee correction set?

we know Barracuda have an accuracy advantage over say just swapping in parts from another Revell kit, but how about when compared to other aftermarket?

thanks for these reviews

N

Nick,

Unfortunately I didn't have an Alley Cat set for comparison.  For me ordering parts from the USA is usually a little less expensive than having stuff sent from Europe.  I still have two EagleParts Erla conversion sets in the stash as well so I'm pretty well covered at this point if I want to do an aircraft with the smaller bulges.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Although Roy's explanation of wheel weel bulge cross-section sounds logically, the fact is hat the peak of the bulge is closer to it's straight edge. Just look on the photos (for example : Modeller's Eye #3, p. 44, fig. 124-127, or in any good internet walkaround). So Revell designers were not far from truth in that case.

The set repeats incorrect design of inner fragment of wheelbay roof: there was no riveted frame around depression for wheel , just single metal sheet with kidney-shaped depression with whole lot of rivets around...

Anyway, perfectly cast, good replacement for many Erla G-10s.

Cheers:

Frankenschmitt

• Like 1

welcome to LSM

interesting comments

not that i disbelieve you, but rather to show us what you mean, can you provide images of what you describe?

quoting books when challenging something rather than showing also seems a little 'unsporting'

as to 'any good internet walkaround', well that's half the problem isn't it?

most walkarounds are of either warbirds or  - forgive me for taking your name in vain - 'Frankenschmitts' with various parts from different aircraft, often matched inappropriately

btw i have no affiliation with Roy, but having reviewed lots of his stuff, I know that the vast majority is well researched and accurate, hence my default setting with his stuff would be 'show me' / prove otherwise

cheers

nick

welcome to LSM

interesting comments

not that i disbelieve you, but rather to show us what you mean, can you provide images of what you describe?

quoting books when challenging something rather than showing also seems a little 'unsporting'

as to 'any good internet walkaround', well that's half the problem isn't it?

most walkarounds are of either warbirds or  - forgive me for taking your name in vain - 'Frankenschmitts' with various parts from different aircraft, often matched inappropriately

btw i have no affiliation with Roy, but having reviewed lots of his stuff, I know that the vast majority is well researched and accurate, hence my default setting with his stuff would be 'show me' / prove otherwise

cheers

nick

Thanks for Welcome!

At first: here is some evidence to support of my words:

(images extracted from Militaria in Detail Vol.5, Messerschmitt Bf-109G-6 in detail, Wyd.Militaria. out of print. Used for discussion purposes only)

Bulge_03_zps8d8a59fc.jpg

Bulge_02_zps332c5028.jpg

(image extracted from Messerschmitt Bf-109G-6 by R. Peczkowski, Mushroom Model Publications, out of print. Used for discussion purposes only):,

Bulge_01_zps6821dc10.jpg

And some links to photos from well known website devoted to 109:

http://www.109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/163306/163306_5.jpg

http://www.109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/14792/14792tp_05.jpg

http://www.109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/14792/14792tp_14.jpg

http://www.109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/14792/14792tp_20.jpg

For inner side of same fragment look at photo of Revell's G-6:

G-6Wheelwell600_zpsfc00cea2.jpg

, next look at Barracudas part, identical at that fragment:

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32169&cat=33

And finally look at The RealThing:

http://www.109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/410077/410077as-36.JPG

http://www.109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkaround/14792/14792tp_06.jpg

So, there is no trace of any extra frame with rivets around depression for wheel.

Believe me or not: there was no variations in this area of wing with bulges for 650x160 wheels.

All preserved examples ( witch such wings) are the same at that specific point,  flyable "Warbirds" (in fact all are Buchonschmitts) too.

Of course we can discuss about value of destructs, derelics and about quality of some "restorations", but not in this case, I think.

I like Roy's products (wheels are the best!!!), have some, also have alot of respect to his researches and work! Just searched for such correcting parts for wings and I didn't  found any pleasing me.

Sorry for my poor English,

Best Regards

Frankenschmitt

Your explanation is easily understood, and quite correct as well.

The wing bulge modifications on the Barracuda set are unnecessary, and wrong. Logically it makes sense that the bulge should be higher at the inboard part of the bulge, however this fails to take into account the fact that the side of the tire is curved and is actually falling away from the wing's upper surface at it's closest point inboard. Perhaps it was modified in this way by Barracuda, simply so that the replacement part is 10% different from the original to avoid copyright issues?

Secondly, both the Revell original part and the Barracuda replacement incorrectly depict the underside area of the bulge, showing the area as a reinforced riveted plate with the bulge on a separate panel underneath. This actual piece was a single stamped part, which inserted from underneath and up into a kidney-shaped hole cut into the top of the wing, and was riveted from underneath into place. The results of this can be clearly seen in the Mushroom Publications photo shown above. 

A more accurate 1/32nd scale depiction of this area is shown in this effort by RB Productions...

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_68&products_id=195&zenid=e12224d9cfb4c4187c5e157fa951e918

S

• Like 2