The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Masks for painting armor road wheels?

JohnB

Generally speaking, I think Eduard did some / do some, and maybe Montex?

I am not sure whether specifically for this kit, but they would be a good a place to start

Thanks for the input! I will check that out.

Hi John,

I used to use masks for road wheels as I have a vinyl cutting machine at my disposal. I switched over to a drafting circle template a few years ago and haven't looked back. Find the correct circle and mask off the circles not used, seems to work just fine, just a different way of approaching the problem and it's reusable.

My 2 cents,

Peter

• Like 2

Drafting circle templates are the next best thing to commercial masks and type specific (QuickWheel) plates. Get a stencil Xacto knife (where the blade pivots) and your set. I'm spoiled, as a hobby is suppose to be supported by disposable income and I have enough to get what I want, I buy the masks or the QuickWheel masks.

• Like 1

Actually Paul...& John, I just spray directly on the template, placing the circle template directly on the road wheel. Usually, there will be a lip from where the wheel meets the tire and that is how I register the template, careful to mask off the circles not used.

I spray the whole road wheel Tamiya Panzer Grey and then after it's dried place the template over top and spray the centre the colour I need, I never try and make a complete coverage as I want the grey to be part of the "shadow" and create more depth....

That was an awful wordy explanation, I hope I made some sense.

P

• Like 1