Super Model International Magazine

• Administrators

Super Model  (issue 5)

International series

Publisher: Kagero

Editor in chief: Damian Majsak

Available from Kagero for € 10,90

1.jpg

Finally! I remember asking Kagero about a year ago why they didn’t publish their Super Model magazine in English language. Their reply was that they were working on it and I can remember thinking: I hope so… The first time I came into contact with this title was when they (Kagero) asked me to write an article on my 1/32 Meng Me163 for it. This happened and it was published... …in polish. A polish co-worker of mine confirmed that the copy was indeed mine J

2.jpg

The market is flooded with amazing books and magazines lately. The quality of photography, copy, content formula’s and design has surpassed the hobby-like/home-made style we have put up with for so long and this magazine is right up there with a Tamiya Model Magazine, with the quality of the paper being even better. On the other hand: it should be good, since the price is higher too, at € 10,90 euro’s a copy.

So what do we get?

A thick glossy cover, binding 66 sturdy glossy pages. Since the magazine contains a lot of tips-and-tricks I think it’s good that the material is a bit more durable than the Tamiya Model magazine or a FineScale Modeller magazine for instance.

The subjects usually span large scale planes and armour and reviews and this is no exception, with:

• A review of Mr. Color paint sets

These sets have been on the market for some time and are not new. Since they cover full subjects (like aircraft interior colors or certain camouflage paint schemes), they’re great to have in the drawer, knowing that your palette is complete.

• Tips and tricks for cutting plastic

When you have been modelling for a long time, you’ll have acquired your own techniques for the most basic tasks. Like cutting plastic for instance. Here’s an article by Tomek Wajnkaim spread over 4 pages dealing with these tasks. It covers important steps in the construction process – sanding, getting rid of ejector pin marks, glueing, clamping, etc.. A good read for both novice and expert. I guess you can teach an old new tricks!

3.jpg

• 1/32 Spitfire by Ralph Riese

Hey! This bird looks familiar. The ‘Grey Nurse’ scheme on this Spitfire MK.VIII was also featured on our own Large Scale Modeller forum. Link here. Ralph has a very unique painting technique that brings his models to life. This article shows his build during the most important stages. It won’t help me to acquire his skills, but it does somewhat explain how he does what he does.

4.jpg

5.jpg

• 1/32 Typhoon by Karoly Bera

This is my favourite article. Karoly wants to build a cardoor Typhoon and takes the high road. With both the MDC and Revell Typhoon in his stash, he takes the old Revell kit and uses the MDC kit as a template. Extensive scratching and surface detailing results in a mind blowing Typhoon.

Usually when someone goes through these lengths to build a subject that has not been rendered in 32nd scale, a model company decides to produce it. So let’s hope…

6.jpg

7.jpg

• 1/35 Hotchkiss H39 by Joaquin Garcia Gazquez

A nice build of the Bronco kit. The Hotchkiss tank is made by many companies in 32nd scale. Heller, Bronco, Hobby Boss and even a very expensive 3D printed one. Joaquin presents his build in a little vignette with a franch tank driver scraping poo of his booth. The Bronco kit has some issues, (as do the Heller and Hobby Boss kit) so a lot of corrections and extra detailing is described. Not only this, but also the entire painting process is shared, as well as the altering of the figure and base.

8.jpg

9.jpg

• H39 Tank Colours

The Hotchkiss chapter is appropriately followed by a page dealing with the Hotchkiss wartime colours.

• 1/35 T-34/122 by Adam Wilder

Most of us know Adam Wilder and his armour subjects. He presents us with a pretty cool T34 with 122 resin turret and winter white wash. This article focuses on the weathering and painting. Washes, pastels… cool stuff. And yes: The products he uses for this are of his own brand J

10.jpg

A the start of a couple of restrained reviews we find the profile of a 1/16 Pz.Kpfw IV Ausf. H, accompanied by a free sample of masks for this scheme.

11.jpg

• Reviews of Fokker Dr.I book and the Ho229 Zoukei Mura kit.

The reviews are compressed and limited. No worries. Both subjects have been extensively reviewed by Large Scale Modeller ;)

Verdict

We would like to welcome this newcomer to the block! Well… the English part of the block that is! Well layed out magazine offering good advice, tips and tricks by accomplished modellers. Comparable to the Aces High magazine in terms of design, photography and contents.

Very highly recommended!

A special thanks to Kagero for the review.

Available here.

Jeroen Peters