The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Good WWII A/C kit for a Noob?

LindsayT

Hi all,

I'm new to LSM, and new to modelling in general. I've got a couple of WWI biplane builds under my belt as this is my primary historical interest, but I'd like to try building a WWII bird, too.

So, to the more experienced craftspeople here, whose expertise I'll no doubt seek out over the course of a build, I'm looking for your recommendations on a kit that fits the following criteria:

1. Cheap

2. Spitfire, Stuka, 109 or 190 - any mark and variant

3. 1:32

3a. If you know of a good 1:48 kit I'd still like to hear about, I just won't post it here

4. Accuracy is not a top priority

5. Fairly easy to build

How's that for a shopping list? Of course, I'd like to hear all thoughts on the matter, even if parts of my list are mutually exclusive.

Thanks very much for the help. That's what makes places like these such a great resource.

LT

Hi Lindsay!

First thing is you say cheap.... What's the maximum you are willing to pay??

There are some great 32nd kits on the market... like most of the later Hasegawa releases... Ju 87,109's Fw190's and the Japanese fighters.. You can pick them up fairly priced at most places... Then you have your Tamiya Kits, Spitfire's, Zero and P-51... but they are worth every cent you pay!

Oh, and Dave, I save the real big outlays for a little cottage industry outfit called Wingnut Wings. You may have heard of them. <if I knew how to add a winking emoticon, I'd add it there>

Lindsay

• Like 2

I would suggest a Hasegawa Fw190 or Me109 in 1/32 - not super cheap but Revell re-pops of te 109 can be found reasonably on eBay

They are fairly accurate and generally go together ok

They have been built a million times and their is pretty much unlimited aftermarket so plenty o people to talk you through your build

Also, you could build them again when more confident with said aftermarket

As to 1/48, well, that's for Scale Plastic and Rail ;)

• Members

Since we're discussing 1/32 exclusively now....I'll withold Tamiya and (newer) Hasegawa, although I get them relatively cheap here I realize not everyone does

1.  Spits:  The Hobby Boss is a nice kit and can be found for a decent price.  Older Revell and Hasegawa kits can be found cheap on ebay although they probably won't be shake and bake.

2.  109's:  I've picked up some Trumpeter 109's on sale in the mid $20 range.  If you're not interested in accuracy these maye be your best bet.  Fit is pretty good and they look pretty good built up but have way too many things wrong to be taken as a serious 109.  You can usually pick up the Eduard Emil's for a decent price too, although some care is required during assembly they go together pretty well and are far superior to the Trumpeter Emil for about the same price.

3.  190's: Nothing good cheap, older Hasegawa is about your only bet.  The new tool kits are great though.

I can't believe you're all mentioning eBay with my hearing! Sacrilege of the highest order. How very dare you :)

1:32 ? I agree about the Hobby Boss Spitfire or the Trumpeter 109E or even the Hasegawa FW190 (Nowotny version), Hasegawa Zero , Eduard's Bf109's too.

1:48 ? Eduard' Bf109 range, Tamiya's P-51, Spitfire Mk1, Beaufighter to Mosquito.

Above and beyond, guys! I really appreciate all your thoughts on the list. It's really helpful.

I'm scared now that my cheap criterion will be rendered pointless as I buy a whole bunch of them! Kind of like when I only take a little scoop of everything at the buffet; it still somehow adds up to too much!

Thanks again,

Lindsay

Doesn't anyone else see the new tool 1:48 Airfix products as great models in terms of price, fit and overall quality? I'm a big fan of those, for their great price and overall quality.

I'm glad you pointed those out, NOVA. That's what I was looking for, and for $22 USD you can't go wrong.

LT