The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Best Sherman?

GusMac

Hi all, just back from another great holiday in Normandy. We were staying in Arromanches so I had the daft idea of a diorama of part of the artificial harbour. Looking at it now back home after some research it's not really feasible in 1/35 as just one section of Whale roadway would be about 70cm long and my scratching skills aren't up to that. However I quite fancy doing a Sherman V probably of the 2nd Fife & Forfar as I had a great uncle who served with them. So question is, there seem to be two options for an M4A4, Dragon or Asuka, but which is best? I know the Asuka kits seem highly rated in general but is it true?

Any thoughts/advice welcomed. Gus

Dragon has issued various Sherman V kits over the years, each one improving on the former. I don't know where they are now but I know that Tasca's (now called Asuka) Sherman V is very good indeed. I favour Tasca but don't like the tracks that come with the kit; invest in aftermarket. Also, the MG on the turret is a (beautiful) .50, although British Shermans were often seen with a .30 MG.

• Like 1

Thanks Erik. Never really done any armour since I got a bit more 'serious' about things, so I've only used the rubber band tracks and one set of the individual link type on an AFV Centurion which I found horrible to work with. Looking on various forums the Friul metal tracks seem to get great reviews so I might give them a bash.

Cheers, Gus

Asuka Models (formerly Taska) series are said to be the best 1/35 Shermans out there - sharpest details and more accurate than the Dragon offerings ... though what the issues are, I'm not at all sure.

Now ... if we were talking Panzers, I might be able to help!

If you're worried about dodgy individual tracks but not millimetre-perfect accuracy ... Try to locate an older manufactured (second hand) Dragon Smart Kit.

They contain Magic Tracks which are pretty much snap-together individual links.

They (besides the range Dragon offered) was what made Dragon kits immensely popular for a while ... The most easy to install individual track links ever!!

Of course they switched to DS (much more detailed rubber bands) which aren't that bad and can still provide a decent result ... but not as good as Magic Track

IMO, of course

Rog :)

• Like 1

Thanks Rog.  I'd seen the name Magic Tracks mentioned but wasn't sure what they were. They sound easier than having to cut wires, etc for the Friuls so L may have a hunt on evilbay to see what I can find.

Regards, Gus

For your convenience a discussion thread on Magic Tracks found on Armorama:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=137496&page=1

and a tutorial ... via YouTube (if you can handle the dramatic background music!!) - gives you a good view of what you'll be dealing with.

Rog :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...