The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

A new large scale F-14 by Tamiya to replace the old one?

timvkampen

• 1 month later...

Well, there are two large scale Tomcats already. The "old" Tamiya one, which needs quite a lot of aftermarket but is still a very nice kit and the Trumpeter version of which I have read that it is a very good representation of Grumman's finest.

Cees

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4-8-2017 at 8:32 AM, Wingco57 said:

Well, there are two large scale Tomcats already. The "old" Tamiya one, which needs quite a lot of aftermarket but is still a very nice kit and the Trumpeter version of which I have read that it is a very good representation of Grumman's finest.

Cees

unfortunately also the Trumpy one is ok, but has a serious defect which is a major part of the appearance: the intakes. http://www.zactomodels.com/ 

So, if Tamiya would just scale it up (since they apparently completely measured the beast for the 48 scale) we could have a Tomcat that is as accurate as the Corsair or Mossie they issued around the time Top Gun 2, aka Top Gun: Maverick comes out...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15-8-2017 at 4:44 PM, timvkampen said:

unfortunately also the Trumpy one is ok, but has a serious defect which is a major part of the appearance: the intakes. http://www.zactomodels.com/ 

So, if Tamiya would just scale it up (since they apparently completely measured the beast for the 48 scale) we could have a Tomcat that is as accurate as the Corsair or Mossie they issued around the time Top Gun 2, aka Top Gun: Maverick comes out...

Top Gun 2 will only feature Super Hornets....

• 2 months later...

I'm still preferring the Revell kit. Almost so good as the trumphy, much better than the tamiya, and with a price more acceptable.

I have two revells and one Tamiya. About the trumpeter one, the price of this kit even made me run out of the purchase.

Cheers, Paulo.

• 8 months later...

Having just recently completed the new Tamiya F-14A Tomcat, all I can say is: simply a briiliant kit. Just upscale it exactly as is to 32nd scale and it surely would be the the best Tomcat available in 32nd scale. Nothing needs to be changed or added.

Peter