The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Russki Air to air missile reference needed

GazzaS

HI Everyone,

As my MiG gets nearer to completion, I'm finding it difficult to find good images of Soviet Air to Air missiles.  Especially the big boys carried on the MiG-25.  Anyone got any useful images/nomenclature?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

• Like 2

Aftermarket covers R-40 Molnija quite well. 

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-planes-weapon-underwing-plus-model-plus-al4044?zenid=7f76fc9c55bfdf8f85bdd725fbc7ee18

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/r-40td-med-range-aa-missile-wpassive-ir-hh

attachmentff54.jpg

attachmentvu12.jpg

attachmentgo72.jpg

t_aa_6.jpg

T on an inner pylon and R is hanging on the outer. Plus the picture bellows shows non-white finish of the early weapons during the prototype evaluations.

acrid-2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Also, you don't wanna go full load on 25. Those missiles were quite heavy, not as heavy as me , but... :)

Here is Gathafi flying set of two. 

acrid-9.jpg

Usually carried as an asymmetrical loadout - the IR-guided R-40T/TD on the port pylon, the radar-guided R-40R/RD on the stbd pylon.

• Like 3

Guys,

Thank you for the info!  I don't know why these things don't show up when I'm searching for them.

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Also, you don't wanna go full load on 25. Those missiles were quite heavy, not as heavy as me , but... :)

Here is Gathafi flying set of two. 

Four rails and only two missiles???  Surely you jest!  There are also a pair of Sidewinder copies and a two missile adapter for each wing.  What about that outfit?  I might have to do all four anyway...looks more menacing that way...  even if it's techically wrong.

Gaz

• Like 1

Sorry to confuse you. The full load is perfectly ok. However , at active duty was load often reduced down to two. This information is based on a interview with Russian personal I bumped into at one point. The reasons were very prosaic a fuel consumption and overall drag reduction. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the clear up, Martin. 

One thing about this model is inconsistency.  The rudders ailerons, and flaps, trailing edges, and stabilators are delicately thin with very fine taper and edges.  Yet the missiles could have fins made of LEGO.  And the cylindrical parts have a rough exterior as if Russian missiles were made of cast iron.  Pretty inexplicable.

Gaz

• Like 3

For the sake of fairness one should add that said "inconsistency" is in no way ICM-specific.
It's not too uncommon that the armament is still being treated with a lesser degree of TLC by many manufacturers than the rest of the kit. Notable exceptions do exist.

One way or another, those being real stcklers for such details will resort to aftermarket sets.

• Like 3