Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Broken Wings - Canfora Publishing

Fran

• Administrators

Broken Wings

Captured & Wrecked Allied Aircraft of the Blizkrieg.

Aircraft Pictorial series, #2

Publisher: Canfora Graphic Design & Publishing

Price: 29€ (EU price)

IMG_3407.JPG

At LSM we had the pleasure to read, view and review several past titles from Canfora Publishing, like the Wingspan Vol. I, Vol.II, Rare Wheels, T-60 and others.

And also the first books of this series also passed in LSM. Check here.

Today we have in hands a new title in this series: Broken Wings, also written by Tom Leamlein.

This book have some unpublished pictures from author private collection and all are from Allied aircraft in a specific era: Blitzkrieg.

As the first book of this serie, the idea is to compile the best pictures of fallen aircraft.

Like others books from Canfora as Wingspan, this one is produced in soft-cover landscape format with 176 glossy pages.

The quality paper is a reference in Canfora books, that helps a lot in the printing stage of thousands of black and pictures that have more than 70 years.

I have been a modeler for 30 years now, and some of these pictures (several ones) are totally new to me and as my acknowledge, is the first time that most as published. So, these pictures were taken by German troops in the early stages of WWII.

As the first serie book, this volume is also a truly and fantastic inspiration to all modellers, that will give to us some very new and good ideas for aircraft dioramas.

All the pictures are in black and white and in the cover, a Curtiss Hawk H-75A3, flown by S/lt Rey of GC 1/5, shot down on May 18, 1940 (French Air Force).

This volume its about several nations aircrafts, like France, U.K., Soviet, Poland, The Netherlands,  Belgium, ex-Yugoslavia  after crash landing or soil destruction.

The book is divided and organized by nation, with the insignia on the top right of the page, starting with Polish Air Force and ending ex-USSR Air Force.

IMG_3408.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

So some of the aircraft are less know from the general modeler like the Amiot 143, Zmaj Faziz FN or the Kharkiv KhAI-5.

IMG_3409.JPG

So several types from those air forces are covered.

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

Conclusion

Is the book a good value for the modeler? Yes as it give the modelers, besides inspiration for new projects, very good and useful pictorial information of the airplanes in large and good resolution pictures.

For me, it as work as an inspirational as I just have more future project in my head... thanks Canfora!

Thanks to Toni and Canfora Publishing for the review sample.

Fran

• Like 1