Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Differences: Pz.Kpfw IV Ausf.F1 v F2 ???

Artful69

Hey all ...

Every 1/35 AFV kit I own is designed to be part of a dio creation ...

So I'm getting into 1/16 for the purpose of stand alone displays.

The only Pz.IV kits (apart from the outrageously expensive Tamiya ones) ... are the Trumpeter ones ...

... And the closest to an earlier infantry support model are the F.2 kits.

So can I change the F.2 into an F.1 simply by slicing the off the 75mm barrel to create a "stump" while using some evergreen or sprue to create the arial interuptor

... Or are things a tad more complex??

Rog :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Hey all ...

Every 1/35 AFV kit I own is designed to be part of a dio creation ...

So I'm getting into 1/16 for the purpose of stand alone displays.

The only Pz.IV kits (apart from the outrageously expensive Tamiya ones) ... are the Trumpeter ones ...

... And the closest to an earlier infantry support model are the F.2 kits.

So can I change the F.2 into an F.1 simply by slicing the off the 75mm barrel to create a "stump" while using some evergreen or sprue to create the arial interuptor

... Or are things a tad more complex??

Rog,

As long as you get the taper of the barrel right, you should be fine.  AFAIK.

Gaz

• Like 2

It is a tad more complicated, as not only is the taper a bit different but the gun itself has a different barrel sleeve and recuperator housing than the larger Kwk 40. The Kwk 37 has a rounded end to the sleeve and the housing is chamfered at the front with an oval profile while the 40 has flatter sides to the housing and no chamfers; barrel sleeve is much longer as well.

If you could source a gun assembly (including mantle) from a Pz IV D or E you could make it work, but that doesn't seem to be an option if this is the earliest short-barrel IV they make. The front of the turret is basically the same on all Ausfs so just swap them out. I have the whole line of Pz IV's courtesy of Dragon, so I just looked in a box to find this out. I also have a built F1 on my shelf. The F2 is really an early G.

Here is the best close-up I could find of the F1 gun:

HTWcIrD.jpg

[img=https://i.imgur.com/HTWcIrD.jpg]

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Rog,

As long as you get the taper of the barrel right, you should be fine.  AFAIK.

Gaz

I figured as much ... as it was still a 75mm caliber weapon the only changes should be the length, muzzle brake and increased shell casing/charge size for the projectile.

I was thinking about the mantlet etc ... or any other features of the vehicle ...

Thanks mate!

P.S. ... and then this guy chips ^^^^^ in!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

It is a tad more complicated, as not only is the taper a bit different but the gun itself has a different barrel sleeve and recuperator housing than the larger Kwk 40. The Kwk 37 has a rounded end to the sleeve and the housing is chamfered at the front with an oval profile while the 40 has flatter sides to the housing and no chamfers; barrel sleeve is much longer as well.

If you could source a gun assembly (including mantle) from a Pz IV D or E you could make it work. The front of the turret is basically the same on all Ausfs so just swap them out. I have the whole line of Pz IV's courtesy of Dragon, so I just looked in a box to find this out. I also have a built F1 on my shelf. The F2 is really an early G.

lol ... thanks for the info here mate ... 

Looking at a couple of my builds - you're right ... crapola!! 

Some fancy scratch work required here!!!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Well, if you can pull it off you'll have a one- or very few- of a kind piece.

I'm wondering if I can can do it while utilising and editing some of the existing parts??

• Like 2