The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Zotz 1/32 P-61 Black Widow decals available now

Guest Kagemusha

Guest Kagemusha

Just received the Black Widow decals, absolutely fantastic, really are a must if you have or are planning to get the kit, also included a full set of stencils and walkways, unlike the kit decals;

perfiles_zps97b99018.jpg

nice one Andy, cheers for posting

this kite doesn't really do anything for me, but if i did eventually make one i would try and find a widow with Invasion Stripes...there were a few i think...

cheers again

Nick

Doogs you (we) need Derek Bradshaw to give us the lowdown - he is the expert on this aircraft...

Having said that, isn't that stuff all in our review? (Haven't checked)

Cheers

Nick

KitsWorld has a sheet for ETO Widows in OD + invasion stripes. But c'mon, it's a P-61. It has to be black.

Okay...as someone who has the HB kit but isn't exactly a P-61 afficianado, what are the differences involved between the P-61A/B/C? I know there's a turret sometimes and not others, but beyond that I'm a moron. Would it be difficult to adapt the HB kit to P-61A standards?

Hi Matt,

I'll try to keep it simple and look at the major visual issues.

Only the first 37 P-61A Black Widow aircraft were installed with the 4 x .5" machine gun dorsal turret (And these all went to the PTO). The dorsal turret was then deleted off all subsequent P-61A and B production until reintroduction of the dorsal turret on the last 250 or so P-61B Black Widows.

The main visible differences between the P-61A and B are as follows:

P-61A - Earliest models had a composite plexiglas/metal radome cover. Shortly after introduction of the P-61A into service use, the composite plexiglas/metal radome was found to crack, so this was replaced with a new heavy duty fibre glass radome, which was introduced on all new build production P-61A and B aircraft (Also retro-fitted to earlier P-61A aircraft).

The small wing tip ailerons featured trim tabs.

The main undercarriage gear doors are single piece left and right doors for each leg that remain opened whilst the undercarriage is extended.

P-61B - This variant had an 8" fuselage plug extension ahead of the nose wheel bay compared to the P-61A.

The small wing tip aileron trim tabs were deleted.

The main undercarriage doors were also modified. Instead of two large single doors of the P-61A that remained in the open position whilst the undercarriage was extended, the outer forward portion of the door on the P-61B doors were separate small 'L' shaped doors that allowed the two large main doors to close after the undercarriage was extended - This was to prevent debris damage to the wheel well bay and oxygen equipment in the nacelle booms.

P-61C - This was essentially a development of the P-61B airframe. It featured two turbosupercharged R-2800-73 engines coupled to a new four blade wide chord paddle bladed A O Smith Products propeller.

The Hobby Boss P-61B kit has the correct 8" fuselage extension for this variant, but also features the early plexiglas radome, small wing tip aileron trim tabs and single-piece main leg doors of the P-61A aircraft.

If you need to know anything else, just ask.

Cheers

Derek 

• Like 1

So basically of these, only Lady in the Dark and Black Panther are really doable without aftermarket/surgery?

Matt,

To rectify the HB kit to more fully represent a P-61B aircraft you would need to fill and sand most of the radome detail smooth, fill in the wing tip aileron trim tabs and modify the main leg doors to represent the split and closed doors of the P-61B variant - This would be adequate to make a basically accurate external visual rendition of a P-61B aircraft.

If you prefer to make a P-61A version, simply remove the scale 8" fuselage extension (about 6mm - Just cut it flush with the front of the nose wheel well bay forward bulkhead) and build the kit as per the instructions.

HTH

Derek

• Like 1

I will probably just build it out of the box. Not too worried about the true accurracy part of it. That is just me. Looking forward to some really great builds of this kit.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Guys & Gals;

Did you say OD with invasion stripes ...........  3_1910.jpg ..... 3_11_a10.jpg .

Or may haps this one .... 3_2010.jpg .

The one I am working on is a early P-61/B, with the single piece well wheel doors. If I go to the trouble of detailing  

the WW I would like to be able to show them off.

The next P-61 that I would like to build is the F-15. I am sure there will be a conversion coming out soon.

The F-15 Reporter ..................... 0352-010.jpg .... 0352-011.jpg .

Mike