1:32 Junkers Ju 87G-2 Stuka

James H

• Administrators

1:32 Junkers Ju 87G-2 Stuka
Trumpeter
Catalogue # 03218
Available from Hannants for £52.99

DSC05095.jpg

The Stuka is hardly an unknown amongst us modellers, and until recently, we only had the Revell/Hasegawa kits to choose from in 1:32, with the exception of the not-so-easy-to-source Ju 87B/R from 21st Century Toys. If you wanted to build the later, and sexier looking Gustav, then it was the Hasegawa and Revell (ex-Hasegawa) that were the order of the day. However, over the last three years, Trumpeter have stepped up to the plate and have released a whole range of Stuka versions, including the more unusual ‘Anton’, and also a skis-fitted machine. After a little extra parts tooling and re-jigging, the latest incarnation of this sees the only alternative ‘Gustav’ to the Hasegawa/Revell release, and of course offers a fully detailed engine, unlike the other releases. Let’s take a look under the hood of this one and see what exactly we get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTS686z0Cbo

This kit is packed into one of the rather sturdy and typical Trumpeter boxes that is constructed from corrugated card, and has a high gloss finish. I’ve always quite liked Trumpeter’s artworks, and this is no different, capturing the lines of the Ju 87G over a winter landscape. Lifting the lid shows a compartmented interior, with a number of smaller weapons sprues, vinyl tires and two small PE frets packed into there. The larger compartment of course holds the main part of the kit, instructions, a glossy colour scheme sheet, and a single decal sheet. There are a total of FOURTEEN sprues of light grey plastic here, that are mostly packed separately, plus another two clear sprues that are again separate, and also protected further by being wrapped in thin foam.

SPRUES A & P

DSC05040.jpg

The unusual nomenclature here obviously shows that earlier alphabet labels applied to the previous releases in the Stuka range. Both of these sprues though, are mainly concerned with the outer wing panels and other wing elements. Those main, outer wing panels are connected to their inboard counterparts by means of two spars that not only create some extra rigidity, but also ensure the correct angle is attained. External wing panel detail is excellent, with rivet and fastener detail only along the main panel lines. The various ports are neatly scribed too and look very good. Note that the wingtips are separate parts, presumably indicating a later release of the extended-wing D-5 version. Seems pretty logical to me. Both gun bays are moulded so they can display the weaponry within.

DSC05042.jpg

DSC05043.jpg

DSC05044.jpg

Those gun bays are also more than reasonable for an out of box experience. They comprise of a detailed floor with stringer detail, separate sidewall parts, MG17 gun breeches, breech plates, ammunition feeds and stub barrels.

Inboard upper wing panels have the characteristic stiffening strakes on their exterior too. Please note that to fit the external gun pods, you will need to open up a series of predetermined holes within the inside of the lower wing panels.

DSC05045.jpg

Other parts on these sprues include the stabiliser struts, main wing spars, wingtips, and inner and outer flaps.

DSC05046.jpg

DSC05047.jpg

DSC05048.jpg

DSC05049.jpg

DSC05050.jpg

SPRUEs C1 & C3

DSC05051.jpg

These two sprues are physically connected and concern the Jumo 211 engine. Together, they contain over 30 parts, all of which look like they are to be utilised here. Looking at photos of a 211, and referencing both detail and shape, I don’t think there’s really too much to complain about here. It’s just a pity that Trumpeter make no actual provision for displaying the engine in the model, unless you leave off the entire forward cowling sections, moulded as halves in this kit.

DSC05052.jpg

DSC05053.jpg

DSC05054.jpg

SPRUE M

DSC05055.jpg

This is a newly tooled sprue that is so far only specific to this particular G-2 release. Here we can see some of the sleekness of this particular version in the fuselage and cowl sections. The fuselage is moulded without any nose cowl sections, and also has a separate rudder. As with the wing panels, you’ll notice that the rivets run along the panel lines only. I get the impression that this has been more to negate Trumpeter’s criticism of employing too many rivets, as photos I have seen of the Ju 87 do indeed show more rivets than are represented here. Hey, I’m no river-counter, ironically, and I do indeed like how Trumpeter has tackled this.

DSC05056.jpg

DSC05057.jpg

DSC05060.jpg

Other external detail is also very good, such as engraved ports, and also a recess for the lower end of the tail strut to sit within. Also note that the upper forward fuse (instrument panel area) and section to immediate rear of gunner, are also moulded separately, and included on this sprue. The engine cowl halves are also very good and superbly detailed. It’s a real pity that they are supplied as they are instead of the separate upper and lower sections that would comprise this in reality. That’s my only real ‘downer’ on this kit, but fixing it isn’t impossible.

DSC05059.jpg

DSC05058.jpg

There is no detail within the fuselage halves, as like Hasegawa, Trumpeter has moulded the internal side walls as separate parts; included here. Again, detail really is very good, and I can’t complain about what’s on offer here. With the other detail attached, only a little wiring would be needed to make this really pop.

SPRUE N

DSC05061.jpg

Trumpeter designed this kit so that the wing and fuse are built first, and then connected. To facilitate this, the lower wing section incorporating both inboard panels and lower fuse, is a single part here, including section for bomb launch mechanism, window and wing radiator points.

DSC05062.jpg

DSC05063.jpg

This sprue predominantly contains parts for the cockpit, including instrumentation, panels, cockpit floor, seats, radios, control stick etc. etc…..basically, everything that you would expect to see, and Trumpeter have made an excellent job of this. A separate piece of head armour is included on Sprue Q, Here are a selection of photos showing the cockpit detail parts. You decide for yourself. I do feel the instrument panel is a little average, and the dial faces are too small. Again, this is fixable with a sanding stick and some Airscale PE bezels/instrument decals. It’s what I will use when I come to build this.

DSC05064.jpg

DSC05065.jpg

DSC05066.jpg

Other parts on this sprue include the radiator parts. Unfortunately, the cooling flaps can’t be posed without surgery. Also on this sprue are the single-piece ailerons and antennae mast, as well as a small number of non-cockpit parts.

SPRUE Q

DSC05070.jpg

I’ve heard some criticism of some of the spats on the previous Trumpeter Stuka kits. I really don’t know if these are correct or not, but spending time looking at various photos and profiles, they do look very good, and nothing jumps out as being incorrect. Even though there is no provision for displaying the gear without the spats, the legs themselves are very reasonable, and if you’re willing to take out a saw and do a little work, then you can indeed display the struts. You would need to check the wheel hubs though, as they seem rather simple.

DSC05071.jpg

DSC05072.jpg

DSC05073.jpg

This sprue is a real mish-mash of parts, with engine bearers, bomb carrier, engine firewall, chin radiator etc. being seen here. Also moulded here are the prop and spinner parts. I’m not totally convinced by the prop blades, if I’m honest. They seem rather flat in section, but the shape itself looks reasonable.

DSC05074.jpg

DSC05075.jpg

Where this kit would benefit is from new exhausts. The kit parts are so scrawny that there is barely anything to hollow out.

SPRUE R

DSC05076.jpg

My first observation here are some plates that appear to be external armour. I can’t see any use of these in this release though.

Now, onto the serious business here; namely the under-wing 37mm guns. These comprise the interior guns themselves, that are beautifully detailed, plus the external pod cases. These are moulded as handed here, whereas they were actually identical. I’m pretty sure these can be fixed with a little plasticard, filler and ingenuity. Just a pity that Trumpeter took the eye off the ball here.

DSC05077.jpg

DSC05078.jpg

DSC05079.jpg

Still, not all is bad. The barrels are slide moulded, meaning the muzzles are hollow. You will need to drill out the series of holes in this though, or change the part for a barrel set from MASTER.

SPRUE S

DSC05067.jpg

This sprue predominantly contains the parts for the stabilisers and separate elevators, and here I see a slight faux pas …..and I mean slight. The elevator mass-balance has been moulded integrally with the curved section that is fitted to the stabiliser tip. It’s no biggie I suppose, as the elevator actuators are moulded with them being set to ‘neutral’. I would look at cutting those parts and making them separate for more realism. Externally, the flying surfaces have restrained rivets and subtle engraving.

DSC05068.jpg

DSC05069.jpg

As well as the flying surfaces, you will also find ammunition drums, wheel hubs, wing gun bay doors, and a good number of small detail parts.

SPRUES WA, WB(x2), WD, WE

DSC05080.jpg

These five sprues contain the various under-wing load-outs. These are clusters of bombs, fuel tanks with ETC racks, 50kg bombs with optional percussion rods, an unidentified machine gun pod, and lastly the centreline 500kg bomb. All of these are to be optionally located to the outboard wing mounting point, with the exception of the centreline bomb, of course. The larger bombs have separate fins or at least a separate part that slots over the main moulded one.

DSC05081.jpg

DSC05082.jpg

DSC05083.jpg

SPRUES  X & Y

DSC05084.jpg

DSC05085.jpg

Lastly, we come to the clear parts. We actually have a number of options here, such as two different parts for the windscreen and pilot’s sliding hood. There are actually two parts supplied for the gunner’s hood, although only one is shown in the assembly. However, that part isn’t included in the ‘unused parts’ list, so I really don’t know where the omission lies.

DSC05086.jpg

DSC05087.jpg

The parts themselves are superbly clear and have great framing definition that will make masking a pretty easy job. A nice touch is that one of the forward pilot hoods also has separate side windows that can be posed either open or closed.

PHOTO ETCH

DSC05088.jpg

Not all parts here are to be used. The largest parts are for the ammunition feeds for the 37mm guns. Other used parts are for pilot rear mirror and internal canopy handle, gunner MG reticule parts, fuel tank straps etc. Quality is excellent, although I have to question why Trumpeter didn’t include seatbelts. Whilst I prefer fabric ones, there should have been something here for the modeller to use instead of having to buy aftermarket.

VINYL TYRES

DSC05089.jpg

Love them or loathe them, they are included. There also aren’t any options for a plastic alternative, so if you don’t like them, you’ll have to hope you can source something that will fit. Personally, I don’t like them.

DECALS

DSC05090.jpg

This single sheet has no indicator where they are printed. I think they are probably Chinese, and are certainly not as good as Cartograph, in some respects. Printing quality and register is perfect, but there is more carrier film than I would have liked to see. The glossy surface is also a little pocked where the protective paper had stuck to it. Some stencils are included too, as it a decal for the instrument panel. I don’t really care for the latter though.

DSC05091.jpg

The schemes supplied here are for:

• Junkers Ju-87G-2, Stab/SG 2 <-+-, W.Nr. 484110
  • Junkers Ju-87G-2, Stab/SG 2 <-+-, W.Nr. 494193

DSC05092.jpg

DSC05093.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

DSC05094.jpg

Certainly no problems here with easy to follow, clear illustrations that also have some colour call-outs supplied. Optional parts are also easily identified.

Conclusion
I must admit, I really do like the Ju 87, otherwise I wouldn’t have ordered in this review kit. Am I disappointed in anyway? Well, not really. I think the only thing I would have liked to have seen here are removable engine cowls and under-wing cannon pods that aren’t handed. It’s no deal breaker though, as Trumpeter really seem to have captured the lines of the Ju 87G very well. I’m not going to say ‘perfectly’, as I can’t substantiate that due to lack of 1:32 profiles that I can check this against. Where this kit does excel over the Hasegawa kit is that engine, and also the inclusion of the wing gun bays. Trump has done a more than admirable job of replicating the cockpit too, and it should certainly keep detail fans happy, despite the AM companies doubtless jumping in to provide refinements.

The kit also comprises over 340 parts too, so you’ve certainly got plenty of work to do to create your masterpiece. In all, I have to say I really like this one, and may just invest in the ‘Anton’ too.

Highly recommended

My sincere thanks to Pocketbond for this review sample. To purchase directly, head over to Hannants and splash the cash.

banner_pb_home.png

• Like 8

Thanks for this Jim - really enjoyed reading it.

Personally, I'm not keen on the rubber tyres either - they're so hard to "age" and stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Definitely a fine kit to consider though.

• Like 1

A couple of other notes. The gun bays are useless for the G version as they had the wing guns removed. Also, the kit only includes the long wing tips and extended ailerons of the long span D-5/G-2 version. All of the other offensive armament wasn't used on the G. I'm thinking of making mine as a D-5 since the kit includes the 20mm cannon barrels, however you have to source or make the dive brake hinges. Also. The centerline bomb crutch is the B/R style, but your problems are solved if you have one of those kits since they incorrectly have the D/G crutch.

• Like 4

• Administrators

A couple of other notes. The gun bays are useless for the G version as they had the wing guns removed. Also, the kit only includes the long wing tips and extended ailerons of the long span D-5/G-2 version. All of the other offensive armament wasn't used on the G. I'm thinking of making mine as a D-5 since the kit includes the 20mm cannon barrels, however you have to source or make the dive brake hinges. Also. The centerline bomb crutch is the B/R style, but your problems are solved if you have one of those kits since they incorrectly have the D/G crutch.

Thanks for that info.

VERY useful!!

Thanks for this Jim - really enjoyed reading it.

Personally, I'm not keen on the rubber tyres either - they're so hard to "age" and stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Definitely a fine kit to consider though.

At least they're not orange, like Dragons' P 51 tyres. Seriously!!

• Like 1

... an unidentified machine gun pod ...

DSC05082.jpg

... Reference page 258 of Classic Publications 'Junkers Ju.87 - From Dive Bomber to Tank Buster' ...

These are MG 81A weapons containers ... or 'Gießkanne' Usually fitted as an option to the D-3 ... a perfect load out for the night fighter / bomber variant :)

each container could carry either 3 pairs of Mauser MG 81Z machine guns (6x MG's per wing!) @  259 rounds PG  installed at a 15 degree downward angle for staffing ground positions ...

OR ... 3 pairs of belt fed MG 17's fitted in a horizontal firing position ...

OR ... 2x 20mm MG 151 cannon.

HTH

Rog :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...