This Gallery section is for completed AIRCRAFT models only. If you have any in-progress photos please post them in your logs or other appropriate forums. In progress photos will be deleted from albums as this gallery should not be used a duplicate build log. ONLY COMPLETED MODELS PLEASE. Thank you.
A quick run-down on the particulars:
Hasegawa F6F-5E Night Fighter kit # St-101 (built as F6F-3 standard fighter)
Eduard's old, small PE set for a few cockpit details and a couple of tail wheel parts
Master gun barrels from Victory Models
a mix of Montex paint masks and Techmod Decals
Mr Surfacer 1500 gray primer
Alclad II Duraluminum basecoat (for chipping)
Model Masters enamels (airbrushed)
Model Masters clearcoats (rattle can gloss base for decals, flat with airbrush)
most of the pit, except for a few PE parts and a few kit parts spruced up
tail wheel, except for PE arms with holes, doors were my first try at using brass sheet
gear bays - didn't go too crazy here, just some ribs and stuff, wiring and tubing, drilled out the kit wheels to make them look better
added a bunch of wiring and some aluminum tubing exhaust pipes to the engine
really wanted to see if the chipping technique I learned on Doogs website would work with enamels instead of acrylics, so after priming (with gray, not black) I put down a coat of Alclad and then hairspray, then color. I chose not to paint the yellow primer. I found that window cleaner and a toothbrush did a pretty fair job of chipping the blue off, so I went with that.
learned a really cool thing about rivets - if you scribe, then prime, then sand smooth, then poke your rivet lines with a compass needle in a pin vise, then paint over them, you can lightly wet sand the whole plane with 1200 grit after the glosscoat, and the rivets will show up very slightly. Maybe you all knew that, but I didn't! Worked out great, very subtle.
all of the shading was done with pastel chalk and a stiff paint brush after painting, before final matte coat.
Scratch built conversion to the Russian version with the Klimov M-105 (aka VK-105PF) engine. Required new props, new spinner, new front cowl, new upper cowl. Painted as if delivered via lend-lease in USAAF markings and overpainted with Russian markings, then painted again in winter scheme. Conversion is available as a kit from B&B Resin Design.
The beautiful Fisher kit of a beautiful aircraft : the Ryan ST-M.
The fuselage was foiled, and this was an interesting experience.
I stll want to add two pilots, to update the vignette and reinforce the scale impression of the bird.
An old vacform kit of the Nieuport Sesquiplan, that was the firts aircarft to fly above 200 mph, piloted by French pilot Sadi Lecointe.
The kit was from Air Craft Models, a British cottage industry vacform. Being of the "female" molds type (i.e. the parts are sucked into receeses in the molds, it was a great kit, precise, and easy to deal with, unlike most vacs.
Sadi Lecointe was one of the most well-known aviators of his time and considered a true hero in France.
Hence the title of the small vignette "The hero and his steed".
ZM Skyraider in its iconic scheme. The album pic shows the model as the famous launch photo showed it just as it shot off the cat.
This was my very first Large Scale build after I returned from a 30 year modeling hiatus. Yes, it has its hiccups and bumps, especially in the weathering department, but I actually want to revisit that part of it and dirty up the bottom a bit. Maybe I’ll show it on the display only table in San Marcos this year.
A few T-28s from the great Kitty Hawk kit. The yellow C was a pre production kit built to spec for Kitty Hawk.
The B was built OON
The D-5 was built from the B kit using AMS resin seats, wheels, armament, armor plate, gunsight, and cockpit additions.
This was my first Felix build, built using Pheon decals and full Aviattic “linen effects” decals on all flying surfaces.
It was a very pleasurable build. The structural rigging is monofilament line for strength, and the control runs are EZ Line.
HK 1/32 kit heavily kitbashed into one of the most beautiful Lancs to ever fly. New parts developed by Barracuda Studios, (wheels), Belcher Bits, (decals), and Mike Swinburne (LR tank, avionics cooling scoop, exhaust stacks, radome), to create this model.