The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Trumpeter F14-D Tomcat and Zacto intakes

Hi Back on the Tomcat Just received the Zacto intakes and my god they look good I took just 2 photos I will get on with this build for now on to finish it starting tomorrow.
Summers freak heat is gone for now so I can enjoy some hobby time.
I start this build in progress here as well cant wait looking so sharp the resin
cleaned up my work bench and just need to ad a little paint on my Bf109 Yes one is all ready over at my friends house and like all ways just that little drup of paint will make it so hard to finish lol but tomorrow I post the finish Bf109's.

here 2 photos of the compleet set and the detal is fantastic like you can expect from Zacto models http://www.zactomodels.com/

SAM_0383_zpsaa967291.jpg
SAM_0380_zpsec8b0bbb.jpg
I will try to keep up the steps I make and mistakes so we can all learn hehehe
Johan bos

• Like 4

Hi first cut are made and the support resin parts are now dri fit they fit in place great so tomorrow I will when done with the upper deck glued in place.

Here what I cut a way and sand the sides so later on the gleu got some hting to holed on to.
SAM_0386_zps00f68d72.jpg

here the support resin.
SAM_0391_zps16f67b13.jpg
Cutting on the top deck inlets and placing of the a other suport resin part
Have fun
Johan bos

• Like 1

Hi more work done on the top deck airduct cut a way the lower peace be careful the first I did I use my trump saw great to do the rough work but for this fine work I
left with a gape so on the next one I used my Radub saw great for fine work and so the result was much beter.
SAM_0400_zpsdcfda7b0.jpg

So now the sides walls need to cut back a bit were the top part rest on so the sides fall together.
SAM_0399_zps13c9ec97.jpg

On the inside you have the to sand it back flush I did leave a bit maybe need to remove more but I dry fit this later.

SAM_0401_zps0595697c.jpg

Take notice the left diverter plate wide is 0.2 mm smaller so sand to the part you make the hole L and R are on the peace so no mistakes there possible.

SAM_0395_zps81bd5c4a.jpg

SAM_0393_zpsf8bf9768.jpg

Have fun

Johan bos

• Like 2

Hi I was planning on doing this on a thursday but the hot weather was making it impossible finally this saturday I did some work.
I have closed the intakes with the back part and used epoxy glue did glue it on the out side and try to get it as far in the panel line as possible not wanting to sand it later on now it is all painted in side.
The front fan I painted with Grey Green 71055 Vallejo and dry brush it.
Only need to cut some black tape for the small gape that is showing now dont want to see this showing later if there is just a little bit of light and I cant get to it. 
I now let the glue harden Sunday I hope to place them.
SAM_0434_zps178af2cd.jpg
SAM_0440_zps9eac459c.jpg
SAM_0444_zps43fc4386.jpg
Have fun
Johan bos

• Like 2

Hi well it took some time but yesterday I finally got the pieces glued into place.
Now the filling and sanding can start.
One thing you really need to take care of is the wheel wells sides walls and glueing them in place maybe the best way to do this is to first use the Trump intakes to get everything in the right place I know this kit isn't the best fitting one of the trump production line.
Here the photos I hope to get the filling started tommorow so show you some progress.

SAM_0446_zps7524407a.jpg
SAM_0452_zpsbc440f2b.jpg
SAM_0455_zpsb282df9b.jpg
SAM_0448_zps7d794b64.jpg
SAM_0447_zps147f164a.jpg
Have Fun

johan bos

• Like 3

Hi I so done the filling and smooth the transition of the intakes and motor housing.
I used the epoxy with a toothpick to get it deep in to the seam and scrape the rest of.
It will not hold on smooth surface so I clean up any drops I spilt.
When I done with the filling I remove the tape and let it rest for 12 hours or more.
It leaves a seam that is the thickness of the tape cutting that a way with a chisel.
You can see some dark spots in the seam that is the epoxy glue.
I will spray paint the area to day so for me tonight post you a update how it looks all in one color you get a beter idea of it all and for me the spots that need a bit more fine filling
SAM_0471_zpsa3adb806.jpg
SAM_0473_zps77179263.jpg
SAM_0476_zpse01dedfe.jpg
SAM_0477_zpse85e92ca.jpg
SAM_0478_zpsc91c5d05.jpg
SAM_0479_zps9fcc204e.jpg
Have Fun

Johan Bos

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi now here is a update finally sanded most of the model I need as you can see clean up some little hard to get spots but overall it's done the shine you see is becose I use as last a very fine grind of waterproof sandpaper.
I think it looks great the lines are now so much beter.
I glued on the wings yesterday in two steps realy needed some tools normally found in a woodshop hehe.
So with the top covers over the wing root I can get some putty to seal the bigger seams and sand it ready to paint.
Do not take notice of some dust hehe

For more pics they are on my photobucket account http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Pfuf_Stuff/library/Tomcat%20F14D%20Trumpeter%20Zacto?sort=3&page=1
SAM_0614_zps174d2c7f.jpg
SAM_0615_zpse3304bdf.jpg
SAM_0623_zps0d737909.jpg
SAM_0637_zpse1e3cb14.jpg
SAM_0642_zps15145e38.jpg
SAM_0630_zps38e1b81f.jpg
Have fun
Johan bos

• Like 2

Hi I wanted to post these photos to show you how it looks on its feet and I just love the way zacto got the contours of the intakes and how the end part looks a bit difficult need to get a even color but that will take a week of two depending on how many little details will put up a fight hehe.

I can use the aires feather end of the engine.

ok here some of the photos.

SAM_0659_zps8694384b.jpg

SAM_0667_zps9a0fc9fa.jpg

SAM_0668_zpsdb88ea49.jpg

SAM_0669_zps7978dabe.jpg

SAM_0670_zps981506ed.jpg

SAM_0672_zpse18037a6.jpg

SAM_0673_zps2ad173df.jpg

Have fun

Johan Bos

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi
I get to the final details asking the most attention are the fuel tanks the hard points are on the right spot and I think the dimension of the tanks are good only when I put the main landing gear leg in place it touche the tank.
now after looking at many photo's the legs are under some degree from the tanks so I have tried this now still dry fit and it looks more like the photo's I have.
The book I use is from Danny Coremans Uncovering the  Grumman F-14 A/B/D Tomcat
Oh when all resin is in place It tends to be a tail sitter now I did not glue the burn cans in place so I will glue a bolt in the middle of the aiframe later.
I added more details on the root of the vertical tail the rubber funny the tubbing I have is red to and well did fill a panel line here ad ther with evergreen later to be cut and sanded.
If there are any thing not clear just ask me to explain.
_SAM0711_zps17b00faa.jpg
_SAM0729_zps7390f611.jpg
_SAM0738_zpsf4b0a57d.jpg
_SAM0780_zps0c7af039.jpg
Have fun
Johan Bos

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi now finally the base color on the underside I did needed to paint the wing edge and the Red air brake chambers.
And tape them easier than I have done some time ago lol.
Just love the so much beter intake's they realy have the lines of the real one
As you can see the model holder is in use and even with out a steel plate to give it more strenght to hold it with out falling over.
I can turn the plane around on it's back with out any problems.
SAM_0834_zps28089fd8.jpg
SAM_0837_zpsfb0d0c05.jpg
SAM_0852_zpsd8061f9d.jpg
SAM_0856_zps03f23fd1.jpg
SAM_0861_zps37a6fbd7.jpg
Have fun
Johan Bos

• Like 1

Hi Dave yes preparing to the sort of sets options that can be done with it let you know when I have more on that it will be in January  

Did work on the cockpit so I can close it for painting the top.
He gets a High gloss black nose maybe some of you now know the type I am going to make must say I forgot promise to get photo's and hope to trade Figthertone decals (Grim Reapers) for the one I need hehe but about that tomorrow.
The weathering can start now with this base colors on.
SAM_0862_zps7fe793ba.jpg
SAM_0865_zpsb3888983.jpg
Have fun
Johan bos

• Like 1

Hi Thanks Wayne I done my first set up of paint on the right wing need two colors more but this is a start.
Ok it's going to be a  VF-31 01 the Red tail only need to find any one who wants to trade the  Figther town Decals Crim Reapers for the tomcatters F-14D.
So if not I need to see if I can duplicated the black tomcat and print it.
SAM_0874_zps51805305.jpg
SAM_0876_zps1847f4ef.jpg
Have fun
Johan Bos

• Like 1

Hi more Progress
Now need to do the horizontal stabilizers and the sides.
Need to at some oil streaks these I will make after a layer of high gloss varnish so I dont have to worry about making mistakes.
SAM_0883_zps7a8a9497.jpg
SAM_0884_zpsf4a75198.jpg
Have Fun
Johan Bos

• Like 3