The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Question about HGW decals

JohnB

Have any of you used them? Your opinion please. I'm considering ordering sheet #232909 for F4U-1D Corsairs (I'd buy the sheet from anyone here that has it and will sell it to me.):)

Yes, I'm considering ANOTHER Corsair and I want to do another GSB -1D this time and it looks like HGW has a sheet with some nice subjects on it. I have beaucoup Corsair decals in the stash but OF COURSE not any with the subject I might want to do.

• Like 3

Hi John, I used HGW wet transfers on different builds and have very mixed feelings about them. Preparation is the key to success here and a shovel of luck too, I guess.
The process of applying wet transfers is different from usual decals. You cut out the transfer, let it soak like a decal, place it on the model and after some hours of drying, there is the delicate part of removing the transparent carrier film, which adheres on top of the transfer.
The transfers are very fragile and have to be handled absolutely carefully. You have to cut out every single transfer, as the carrier film, which later will be removed covers the whole sheet. That maybe is not a prob with a Corsair, but with millions of tiny stencils on a Jet, it is.
A perfectly glossy and polished surface seems to better the adhesion. 

The benefit of the wet transfers is, they don't silver at all and there is no trace of carrier film to be seen, they are like tattooed on.

I used them on my MIG-31 for one million of stencils and most of the transfers were intact after removing the carrier film. some were partly destroyed, but it didn't matter that much, because the MIG was relatively worn.

With my recent 1/48 Hellcat build, I had not much luck with the HGW's. The national insignia went on beautifully, the cat mouth and eyes were partly damaged after removing the carrier film. I had a very hard time to remove the rest of the fangs and eyes and used the Cartograph kit decals instead. I have no idea what happened, the model was gloss coated, but not polished. The fangs and eyes were placed on slightly curved cowling surfaces and were cut to fit the openable cowlings. The application process was exactly done to the manual. What I found really strange, was the difference in adhesion only millimeters distanced, one part got lifted and another part had to be sanded away.

We had discussions about wet transfers from HGW in various threads, and to me the verdict seems to be, it's not a reliable product. If they work, they are great, if not, be prepared for some extra work. I have some sets and will give them another try, in a way, against better knowledge :D.

Last week, I saw a new product, which can be helpful, if you are considering spraying the markings with let's say Maketar masks. 1Man Army has released stencil kabuki masks, which may even be reusable for the addicted Corsair builder :rofl:.

F4U 1A/C/D CORSAIR | AK Interactive | The weathering #Brand (ak-interactive.com)

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DocRob said:

Hi John, I used HGW wet transfers on different builds and have very mixed feelings about them. Preparation is the key to success here and a shovel of luck too, I guess.
The process of applying wet transfers is different from usual decals. You cut out the transfer, let it soak like a decal, place it on the model and after some hours of drying, there is the delicate part of removing the transparent carrier film, which adheres on top of the transfer.
The transfers are very fragile and have to be handled absolutely carefully. You have to cut out every single transfer, as the carrier film, which later will be removed covers the whole sheet. That maybe is not a prob with a Corsair, but with millions of tiny stencils on a Jet, it is.
A perfectly glossy and polished surface seems to better the adhesion. 

The benefit of the wet transfers is, they don't silver at all and there is no trace of carrier film to be seen, they are like tattooed on.

I used them on my MIG-31 for one million of stencils and most of the transfers were intact after removing the carrier film. some were partly destroyed, but it didn't matter that much, because the MIG was relatively worn.

With my recent 1/48 Hellcat build, I had not much luck with the HGW's. The national insignia went on beautifully, the cat mouth and eyes were partly damaged after removing the carrier film. I had a very hard time to remove the rest of the fangs and eyes and used the Cartograph kit decals instead. I have no idea what happened, the model was gloss coated, but not polished. The fangs and eyes were placed on slightly curved cowling surfaces and were cut to fit the openable cowlings. The application process was exactly done to the manual. What I found really strange, was the difference in adhesion only millimeters distanced, one part got lifted and another part had to be sanded away.

We had discussions about wet transfers from HGW in various threads, and to me the verdict seems to be, it's not a reliable product. If they work, they are great, if not, be prepared for some extra work. I have some sets and will give them another try, in a way, against better knowledge :D.

Last week, I saw a new product, which can be helpful, if you are considering spraying the markings with let's say Maketar masks. 1Man Army has released stencil kabuki masks, which may even be reusable for the addicted Corsair builder :rofl:.

F4U 1A/C/D CORSAIR | AK Interactive | The weathering #Brand (ak-interactive.com)

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob! I will certainly keep that in mind if I decide to try them.:)

• Like 4