The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Favourite Me262 kit?

Geoffurs

Hello from a new member! It's great to be part of such a vast network of modelling knowledge and enthusiasm.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on which Me262 kit to go for. My research so far indicates a choice between Hasegawa and Trumpeter. As a newcomer on a budget I'm looking for a straightforward build with limited 'bling' required!

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

• Like 1

• Members

The Hasegawa kit is one of their older efforts and it's getting rather long in the tooth.  It can be made into a decent looking kit with some work but the Trumpeter kit is superior in every aspect and will build up nicely right out of the box.

• Like 1

The Hasegawa kit dates back to 1970's if I am correct... Its has raised panel lines, and been re-released by Hasegawa quite a few times... As far as I know the tooling hasn't been updated on any of these releases.

Trumpeter one is far better IMHO, engraved panel lines and rivets and lots more deal in the cockpit, wheel bays. It also has an open-able gun bay and detail in the fuse.

I think the Trumpeter kit is a little bit more than the Hasegawa kit, but the price is worth it

• Like 1

According to 1/32 chapter of the Luckymodel Bilbe -

Hasegawa #08215 Me 262A "KG51" (Latest Release) is US$61 shipped to you in the UK

Trumpeter #02235 Me 262A is US$66 shipped to the UK

Trumpeter #02237 Me 262B1/U1 (Two Seater) is US$100 shipped to the UK

So there isn't really much difference in the Single seater 262 if you shop around. But you are pretty safe with Luckymodel and they will under declare it so you won't get hit with VAT.

• Like 1

As above - there really is no choice that needs to be made for me: Trumpeter kits all the way

Big Kev built the Hasegawa kit over on LSP relatively recently I think, but it is way more work to bring up to the basic standard of the Trumpy kit

• Like 1

Another vote for the Trumpeter Kits!!!

I don't know how, but for some inexplicable reason ... Trumpeter got this kit bang on!!!

Well - that may be a little unfair come to think of it ... most of their material is decent and well engineered (it fits together well) ... but accuracy wise a lot of their stuff can drive you to distraction - if you're picky.

Not so with their 262 series at all ... definately the best in 1/32 by miles!

I bought a 262A-2a ... and then realised it wasn't the Quad-gun set up I wanted ... so I got the 262A-1a ...

Oh ... they DO like rubber tyres in their kits for some reason - so if those aren't your cuppa I suggest a resin set from somewhere (personally it's not a huge deal to me).

Eduard do a nice interior set also - if you're that way inclined ... otherwise the kit has everything you are likely to need

Rog :)

• Like 1

Another vote for the Trumpeter kit. I have one in the stash; the kit parts are beautifully molded. There are numerous builds that have been posted online. It makes up into a stunning model, and from all accounts is a drama-free build.

• Like 1

There's no real comparison... Hasegawa's kit was good and can be built to look good still, but with much work.

Trumpy's kit is a beauty.. also more accurate as Hasegawa made their engine nacelles larger to fit close to scale engines fit inside - Trumpeter went the other way, scale nacelles with under scale engines (a much better solution). The engines despite being under size do look rather nice and are models in their own right.

Trump's tyres are vinyl - which I don't fret about, but are also pretty poor approximations of the real tread pattern. One of Barracuda's stunning Me 262 wheel sets and you won't need anything else.

You can still get the single seaters on eBay for reasonable prices every now and then, the night fighter is always harder to find and costs more...

My copy of the 262A-2a has all the necessary parts to make the A-1a (ie four gun nose part and 4 MK108 cannon) but has bonus of bomb racks which I believe can be adapted to depict the WfGr21 mortars carried by some aircraft...

My only dislike for the kit is the great big tabs used to locate the cockpit module - totally unnecessary... not too hard to remove though.

Matt 

• Like 1

Very many thanks to everyone for your responses.

It's pretty clear Trumpeter is the way to go for the Me262 - hopefully I'll get hold of an A-2a and a Barracuda wheel set.

This feedback has really got my modelling juices fizzing for a project I have been looking forward to since getting back into modelling!

Thanks again,

Geoff

• Like 1