The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:16 Renault FT

• Administrators

Time for an update? ;)

Ok, but I warn you....I'm no armour modeller. It's all alien to me.

I decided to throw some paint on that garish red plastic, but in all fairness, forget the plastic colour, this is a seriously nice kit, and some great fun to put together. The fit is mostly very good. Where it's less than very good, it's pretty close. This model has a full interior, and test fitting everything together shows that it slots together without any issue. An absolute dream to work with.

DSC00795.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00797.jpg

My reference for armour is shit. In fact, it's non-existent. I asked the ever-amiable David Parker from AFV Modeller (and a member here) what colours he used, so he gave me some basic ideas of what to use, so I've gone with that.

The main interior walls are sprayed with Tamiya Flat White, and to break it up, I used Gunze Radome, heavily thinned to bring out some of the plating and rivet areas in a sort of quasi-rust manner. I then accentuated this with some Tamiya XF60 Dark Yellow, again heavily thinned and worked in a similar way to compliment the Radome. I have now coated this in Klear prior to washing and doing a thinners drag to show running rust. That will be later. I still need to do a few paint chips around sharp corners etc, but for a non-armour modeller, I'm happy so far.

DSC00798.jpg

I've used Alclad Aluminium for the driver floor area, and Alclad Dull Aluminium to simulate the cast metal effect of the engine block and transmission. It looks rather grey in these photos, but it is metallic....trust me ;) I still need to add oil and grime washes yet. This is just part of the basic painting, which I still need to finish yet. There are other engine components to add too, all which still need paint.

DSC00803.jpg

If the red plastic wasn't enough, Takom decided to paint their PE fret in red too, meaning you need to scrape it off if you wish to solder the chain guard, as I have here. This fret isn't too thin, so CA wasn't an option for me. Solder, done with my trusty gas soldering iron and Fry's Fluxite, means that part will last longer than the model probably will ;)

DSC00801.jpg

Whilst coats were drying, I glued the turret ring to the upper deck and decided to start removing that shit rivet detail on the turret. In all fairness, Takom have done their best with this, and without slide moulding, the result was the best they could achieve, but the rivets look distorted etc. Luckily, they added lots of spare rivets on their track sprues, so these will be what I'll use. I'm also thinking of subtly texturing the turret too, but I need to see if it's justifiable. If anyone can say yay or nay, please let me know.

DSC00800.jpg

• Like 2

Yay!!!! Glad that you listened to me and skipped the reviews for sometime with the FT! Looking fantastic... That misting looks great and once you do some rust streaks it will really pop! You going to try the AK stuff?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Tamiya Flat White actually covers real well. Give a few thin misted coats for the main paint to bite onto, leave dry, then just build up the layers. It didn't take too long to paint white. It surprised me too!