Jump to content

Der Würger... Fw 190 A-8 JG5 White 10


repeater
 Share

Recommended Posts

Demonstrating once again that starting a project is easier than finishing - it's time to add to my in-progress builds and join Arrow Wolf's Focke Wulf GB.  Thanks Grant!

 

I know there are prizes for this GB - well.. I think my best hope would be 'most improved' or 'coach's award'.  Just nice to be here. 

 

Main purpose of this build is more work on Luftwaffe schemes. 

 

I'm building the 1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190A-8.  I guess most of you are familiar with this kit.. 

 

The scheme is this one..   JG5, Rudolf Artner,  based in Norway, Feb 1945.

 Fw190A-8JG5RudolfArtnerprofile_zps4f743c

(source: Internet)

 

 

Artner_White10_4_zps94c6cd2b.jpg
 
Artner_White10_1_zps7be31204.jpg

(source: Internet)

 
 
 
Stay tuned. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As mentioned earlier, my main objective is practicing Luftwaffe schemes.   This build will be OOB with addition of HGW harness. 

 

The engine is finished..  and will be hidden behind the cooling fan,  so nothing over-the-top here...  

 

Painted with Gunze H-18 Steel, #8 Silver and H-53 Neutral Gray.  Silver drybrushing on the cylinders and a dark wash to finish it off.

 

IMG_6224_zpsb10a490b.jpg

 

I went with the kit instructions of painting the pushrods in silver.   Not sure if silver or black is more accurate for a wartime Wurger?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

HGW Harness is done.  This was my first time using them and it was definitely a learning experience.  I'm reasonably happy with the result which was definitely labour intensive! 

 

I used the set 'Focke-Wulf Fw190A (early)' (132049) which shares many bits with their other Luftwaffe seatbelts sets, and the PE sheet for buckles etc is a generic 'Luftwaffe Fighters' sheet.    The issue I had was some buckles were just a little too thin to thread through the harness, meaning further trimming of the harness straps was necessary. One minor issue was the PE part nbrs on the instructions were mostly wrong - I guess this comes with the generic nature of the PE sheet. 

 

Regardless,  I eventually got it all done and weathered with a brown oilwash and drybrushing. 

 

HGWHarness-completed-Fw190A-8_zps430e8e3

 

 

There are still a few mistakes - the more observant (and Experten)  will definitely notice!   :rolleyes:  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful job!

Congrats,

Jamme

Thanks Jamme.. ! 

 

 

Looks really good so far, need to get my 109 finished up so I can get going on the D-13!

 

Thanks Mike..!  I've been watching 109 review build. I'm looking forward to your D-13. Still can't decide if I like the long nose versions more..   :)

 

 

Main construction is done 

 

IMG_6333_zps337b3604.jpg

 

 

Luckily I didn't have major issues with the cowling fit to fuselage.. just a little bit of tidy-up.  (Note - the cowling ring is not glued yet... )

 

IMG_6338_zps727f226f.jpg

 

 

Starting to look like a Würger now.. 

 

IMG_6337_zps4282c3ee.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very tidy build, getting close to paint...

 

One tiny thing if you want to be more accurate, the belts are fixed to the edge of the rear decking above the seat... two little metal loops held the end parts of the belts... It's only a minor thing and won't detract from the finished thing...

 

I'll find a photo if you want..

 

Matt

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very tidy build, getting close to paint...

 

One tiny thing if you want to be more accurate, the belts are fixed to the edge of the rear decking above the seat... two little metal loops held the end parts of the belts... It's only a minor thing and won't detract from the finished thing...

 

I'll find a photo if you want..

 

Matt

 

Thanks Matt.. ! That'd be great if you could dig out a photo..  I wasn't sure what the correct anchor points were.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here you go

 

10076241294_4c6cea03b9_c.jpg
 
You can even see one of the belt attachments still attached.
 
The other thing worthy of note in this photo is the oxygen 'demand unit' or whatever it's called sat on the rear bulkhead to the pilots right. this is the unit seen on the right wall of the Bf 109 usually painted blue. The pilot could push the central 'button' in with his elbow to get more oxygen flow...
 
Matt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Managed to get some paint on last night,  using my 'Warsteiner' airbrushing technique  :rolleyes:

 

This is a first coat, using Gunze Mr. Color lacquers for RLM 74/75/76.   Pre-shaded also but I will tone this down later. 

 

Still plenty of work to do....    And of course to fix the harness mounting points. 

 

IMG_6380_zpsd127eee8.jpg

 

IMG_6379_zps89e71205.jpg

 

IMG_6377_zps8488f48b.jpg

 

All comments, criticism, feedback etc is more than welcome.   Cheers. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...