The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

PCM Hawker Hurricane Mk. I Fabric Wing

During my password enforced exile I completed the above, well just about completed it, it just need some dirtying up to finish it but for now I have had enough and so it sits in the display cabinet.

The build was a bit challenging but in the end it turned out rather nice, to my eye at least.

After looking at the kit instructions and my references I settled on L1909 LR*R as my subject, this was a 56 Squadron Hurricane and I modelled it in it’s1939 guise.

At the time 56 Squadron aircraft were coded LR rather than the later US codes and were based at North Weald.

The Squadron fought in the Battle of France, though they were not based in France, they  provided air cover for the Dunkirk evacuation and flew for the entire period of the Battle of Britain. 

the fabric wings on the real thing faded rapidly and it took a while to try to create this effect but I was happy with it in the end.

Paint used in the build were Xtracolor for the main scheme, with detail painting using Humbrol, the markings were painted on using Xtracolor, Sovereign Colourcoats and Montex masks.

Stencils were HGW wet transfers which worked well though there was some failures.

Here is the best photo that I could find of the real thing.

zO7AhB.jpg

Fqrzs3.jpg

r6m55Y.jpg

mOTuzh.jpg

OmZTuq.jpg

And here it is with my Revell Mk.I which despite it's age looks quite good.

j0KbRP.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Great build Dennis, you do not see many Hurricanes built up. Love the subtle weathering, stunning build, congrats…..

Thank you for that and yes sadly the Hurricane is a bit of a negelected subject, and I was very pleased to see the Hurricane builds on this site recently.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1