Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1:24 Airfix Spitfire Mk. IXc..or is it E?- June 5th 1944

Craig, a MASTERCLASS on your Spitfire.  :unworthy:  The detail is amazing and thanks for sharing all of your work, thoughts and opinions - and what worked and didn't.  Agree with supporting those exemplary individuals in our industry.  I'll be looking up 1ManArmy to see if I can use any of their stuff.  I've heard, even before your work, that they are terrific.  You certainly used them to fantastic effect.  

I also do white-basing/black-basing when I do a painted aircraft (instead of natural metal) but the insignias and stencils were always the bugaboo - too dark, too clean.  You showed perfectly how to get the proper weathered effect. Well done! 

Great work!

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Craig, a MASTERCLASS on your Spitfire.  :unworthy:  The detail is amazing and thanks for sharing all of your work, thoughts and opinions - and what worked and didn't.  Agree with supporting those exemplary individuals in our industry.  I'll be looking up 1ManArmy to see if I can use any of their stuff.  I've heard, even before your work, that they are terrific.  You certainly used them to fantastic effect.  

I also do white-basing/black-basing when I do a painted aircraft (instead of natural metal) but the insignias and stencils were always the bugaboo - too dark, too clean.  You showed perfectly how to get the proper weathered effect. Well done! 

Great work!

Chris

Hi Chris. Thanks for your kind words. Glad to be useful. I'm takling airfield dioramas for the first time for the Spitfire and the lancaster and I can tell you it's been fun😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craigyboy said:

Hi Chris. Thanks for your kind words. Glad to be useful. I'm takling airfield dioramas for the first time for the Spitfire and the lancaster and I can tell you it's been fun😁

I can't wait to see that.  Bases are something I've never been able to do a decent job of.

• Like 1

Last push. The Diorama base. Well, it's a bit of a cheat to call it a diorama base. It's a grass airfield and I've just modelled it on a base of grass.
20mm Insulation board and I use WWS grasses and glues. There are cheaper alternatives (as you'll see) but I find theirs the best.
A layer of their basing glue. It's a polyeurethane glue not PVA so doesn't shrink then comes the static grass.
I just follow their tutorial on modelling a base and it works well enough for me. I bought one of the "tea strainer" stacic grass applicators on eBay and it works well enough for me. I don't do enough diorama stuff to warrant paying a hundred quid for one. 2mm spring grass all over then you just build up the layers from there with no need to wait for it to dry which is great. You just spray on their layering glue either from a spray bottle or aerosol (basically a watered down basing glue ) and lay your next layer of longer grass on top and then repeat repeat getting a bit patchier to represent the different grasses. A few tufts and some spring/summer flowers and it's sorted.
spacer.pngspacer.png

So there we are. I laid the various panels in the grass as it she was in the middle of being serviced and just prior to the invasion stripes which were added very late, just before D-Day.
I've posted some finished pics in the RFI section and the link is here

Just remains to thank everyone who looked and commented and offered advice. Also to Peter at Airscale who never fails to provide superb products and sent me a pre release version of the cockpit for the Spit. Sven at 1Man Army whose masks are the best and who made me a custom "MK356" mask without which, I couldn't have completed the model as I wanted. And Ali at Aerocraft for the E wing conversion that blinded mine.

I started on 19th December 2022 so almost 7 months to the day to completion. Hopefully see you on the next build 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed watching your progress on this Craig and it turned out beautifully. Kudos to you turning it into an 'e' wing version.

Having just finished one myself I'd encourage everyone (even 1/24 agnostics!) to buy and complete this kit - it's a lot of fun.

57 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

I really enjoyed watching your progress on this Craig and it turned out beautifully. Kudos to you turning it into an 'e' wing version.

Having just finished one myself I'd encourage everyone (even 1/24 agnostics!) to buy and complete this kit - it's a lot of fun.

Definitely. Although just having found out MK356 was built as a c wing and converted later has put a dampener on it