Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Airfix 1:24 Spitfire LF Mk.IXe - The BBMF's MK356 as she looked on 5th June..Hopefully BBMF × Airfix × Spitfire Mk.IX ×

We have what is now the BBFM's MK356 Spitfire LF Mk.IXe as she hopefully would have looked the day before D-Day. LF meant she had the Merlin 66 fitted and was used as a ground attack plane. She was attached to the RCAF Squadron 443

Build wise, it's a superb plane. The fit is stupendous, if a little TOO tight in places and for £95 the level of detail is superb. I've modified her to an E wing although I'm sure Airfix will bring out an E wing variant in time for Christmas maybe. Lots of extra pipes etc on the engine which is a bit bare TBH and the E wing conversion kit Aerocraft. Sven at 1ManArmy was superb in helping me get a mask for her serial number and his masks for the kit in general are without equal in my opinion. Peter at Airscale as ever provided the cockpit detail.

Link to the build is here. Thanks for looking and blue skies to all.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

•  
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful build, Craig !

Watching at your detail pics, I realise that only the venerable 1/32 Revell Mk 1, released in 1969, got the rivets right. And that was the time of masters and pantographs, not of 3D CAD …

So, what’s next ?

Hubert

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 8:25 PM, HubertB said:

Beautiful build, Craig !

Watching at your detail pics, I realise that only the venerable 1/32 Revell Mk 1, released in 1969, got the rivets right. And that was the time of masters and pantographs, not of 3D CAD …

So, what’s next ?

Hubert

Thanks Hubert. Next? Either Kotare Spitfire or...Airfix's old 1:24 Stuka which I've built twice before, in 1975 and 2010, I hope, Peter at Airscale is bringing a super dooper cockpit upgrade kit out for soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...