The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

1:24 Airfix Spitfire Mk. IXc..or is it E?- June 5th 1944

1 minute ago, DocRob said:

Have you looked for Anyz braided lines? I found them overscale for 1/32 engine wiring, but think they should be great with 1/24.

ANYZ models - product: Braided Line Ø 0.5mm (2 Meters / 79 Inches)

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob

I've got 0.5mm braided but it's too thick for brake lines. Works great on the engine though. I get it from the jewellry section on eBay. Cheaper there🤣

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've sepent more time than ever scouring books and the tintiweb over the last week trying to get a definitive set of pipework for this flipping engine. There's quite a lot for the Mk.V but that didn't have a Merlin 60 something in it so there's an intercooler and other stuff that means the firewall arrangement is different, even if the general circuit diagrams for oil, pneumatics etc. are basically the same

Airfix don't do the low pressure oil system or the hydraulic system driven by the hydraulic pump. Lots of that sits on the front of the firewall which means I needed diagrams. The pneumatics, on the other hand, are all behind the firewall and were dealt with earlier. All I need there is a line from the compressor to the firewall.

Anyway, I managed to find enough stuff to give me a pretty good idea of circuits and lines as well as a lot of good shots from MK356 herself, courtesey of a friend at BBMF (Thanks Rick). 

The front of the firewall with the hydraulic lines went together quite easily

spacer.png

Just need the two lines from the pump which run to the two filters.

After that it was just loads of fiddly pipes running from the constant speed unit, the vacuum pump(brass wire), thermometers for oil and water, airscrew control cable, boost cutout, boost control,(various sheathed wire) air compressor(braided cord), oil tank vent pipe and generator main electrical line(braided cord again) and finally, engine speed connector (D string wrapped guitar string) so all knocked off in a couple of hours or 15.

I'm just going to post the pictures of the finished engine and hopefully all will become apparent as what I really need now is a lie down and a stiff measure of Lagavulin 18 year old

Thanks for looking

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Well, that's certainly a good reason to get the Spitfire in 1/24. 

If I had your skills that is. 

Truly fantastic work there. 

It's a great kit ..we just need em to do a hurricane next. Thank you

• Like 4

Craig, it's not just the research you put into this which is so impressive.  It is that you are able to so faithfully execute on the research capturing exactly, best as I can tell, the actual pieces you are modeling.  I'd LOVE to have you do a tutorial on scratch building the Spitfire (and the supplies list of what you used).  That would be worth its weight in Spitfire parts!

Not that I could duplicate your work, but I really enjoy watching your builds.  They are amazing.

Chris

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 5:49 PM, CANicoll said:

Craig, it's not just the research you put into this which is so impressive.  It is that you are able to so faithfully execute on the research capturing exactly, best as I can tell, the actual pieces you are modeling.  I'd LOVE to have you do a tutorial on scratch building the Spitfire (and the supplies list of what you used).  That would be worth its weight in Spitfire parts!

Not that I could duplicate your work, but I really enjoy watching your builds.  They are amazing.

Chris

Thanks so much for your kind words Chris. I'm sure it's the virgo in me. 

As far as the tutorial goes, I'd be honoured to but pics and reference materials etc are often copyrighted and we have to be careful what appears in the public domain. I'm always happy to help anyone at any level and any capacity I can at a personal level though 

On 4/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, Craigyboy said:

Thanks so much for your kind words Chris. I'm sure it's the virgo in me. 

As far as the tutorial goes, I'd be honoured to but pics and reference materials etc are often copyrighted and we have to be careful what appears in the public domain. I'm always happy to help anyone at any level and any capacity I can at a personal level though 

From one Virgo to another!  🍺

• Like 1