The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Japanese Grey-green

• Administrators

What do y’all use for the early war Japanese aircraft?

I’ve heard some say Gunze’s interpretation of RLM02 is a really decent starting point.

Of course, there’s also Tamiya’s XF-76…

What y’all think?

• Like 1

I think trying to be exact is a waste of time without examples to compare with.  I have lightened my RLM 02 with pale gray to do the job...   I have also used Tamiya IJN gray to do the job of RLM 02...    and nobody has noticed.  Won't nobody be able to tell.

• Like 2

Just had a quick look at Aviation of Japan and there is a PDF available on 'Detailing the D3A1' by Ryan Toews", I have this and it is pretty informative.

It is available from the author on request, http://www.aviationofjapan.com/.

With the recent release of the Infinity Models 1/32 scale kit of the Aichi D3A1 attention is drawn to the excellent PDF 'Detailing the D3A1' by Ryan Toews as featured in this blog's sidebar and here. Please note that this PDF is not available from Aviation of Japan but can be requested direct from the author by clicking on the 'Request a copy' link in the sidebar. If you should encounter any problems using that please email me and I'll pass your request on to Ryan

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

Just had a quick look at Aviation of Japan and there is a PDF available on 'Detailing the D3A1' by Ryan Toews", I have this and it is pretty informative.

It is available from the author on request, http://www.aviationofjapan.com/.

With the recent release of the Infinity Models 1/32 scale kit of the Aichi D3A1 attention is drawn to the excellent PDF 'Detailing the D3A1' by Ryan Toews as featured in this blog's sidebar and here. Please note that this PDF is not available from Aviation of Japan but can be requested direct from the author by clicking on the 'Request a copy' link in the sidebar. If you should encounter any problems using that please email me and I'll pass your request on to Ryan

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, I have the same booklet.  It IS informative.   But it’s amazing how so very little is actually known about the particulars of this design. 
And yes, simply be requesting it. No charge at all, but you need to personally request it from Ryan Toews. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

So I went to my LHS and walked out with several bottles of twos different Manufacturer’s take on IJN Grey-Green.

Bith manufacturers are Japanese Companies, so I expect both poured their heart and soul into these homegrown shades.  
Tamiya’s XF-76 is the tried and true color that was introduced specifically for Tamiya’s 1/32 A6M2.

Gunze’s C128 appears to be a fairly new release on IJN grey-green.

so we will do a couple test sprays and compare. 

9772A559-BDB7-4C6A-819F-CA1F9E074D32.jpeg

• Like 2