The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32nd scale Phönix C.I

Hi all,
You ever get that feeling of 'I probably should't have started this'.

As the Bristol Scout build is just waiting for the display case to be delivered, I thought I'd start my next build.
The 'KatModel' 1:32nd scale kit of the Phönix C.I, which hopefully will represent Phönix C.I, Serial No.121.17 of Flik 28/D, operating from Godega (Italian Front) during June, 1918.
Flown by Feldwebel Max Kauer with observer Oberleutnant Arnold Barwig. 

header.jpg

Hmmmm - where do I start?
When the fuselage halves are held together at the tail, the from of the fuselage spreads to an 8mm gap.
Also the forward sides of the fuselage are not vertical, which prevents the two 3D printed nose cowls from fitting correctly.
The massive 'engine supports in the the fuselage are next to useless.
The 3D printed cockpit decking panel spreads over the fuselage sides by at least 4mm.
The engine side panels are too long to fit between the nose cowls and cockpit decking.
The right side of the engine has carburetors, which foul the panel that side and stop it from fitting correctly.
The 3D printed cockpit assembly did not fit inside the closed up fuselage. 
The surface detail, such as panels and panel 'fasteners' are way oversize and look like they were made in a shipyard.

Other than that, so far OK ;)

Suffice to say:
I pinned the fuselage halves
Filed down the fuselage join seams
Filed down the cockpit sides
Added a spreader inside the forward fuselage to straight the sides
Removed the engine supports
Removed the engine carburetors for the right side
Filed back the forward edge of the cockpit decking panel
Filed the end edges of the two engine side panels
Filed down the propeller shaft in the lower nose cowl.

The fuselage and nose cowls have been joined with CA adhesive (the cockpit assembly and engine can be inserted).
The 3D printed panels and engine are just test fitted for now.

As you can doubtless see, most if not all of the fuselage detail will probably have to be removed and replaced with more in-scale detail.
Also the joins between panels and the fuselage will need to be blended. 

I enjoy a challenge, but really :o

Mike

fus1.jpg

fus2.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,
Just a few updates.
The 3D printed cockpit decking panel overlaps the sides of the fuselage, which also do not align with the decking panel.
Therefore I've had to pin the bottom edges of the decking panel into the top edges of the fuselage to force the two to align.
Also, when the cockpit assembly is located into the fuselage, the 3D printed 'block' forming the floor of the observers cockpit does not extend far enough into the rear of the fuselage.
In addition, there is no rear cockpit bulkhead supplied in the kit.
Therefore, the spaces left will be seen with the cockpit decking panel fitted.
I've made a 'false' floor and rear bulkhead from 0.4 mm thick plastic card, which is thin enough to be able to flex when the cockpit assembly is inserted into the fuselage.

Mike

fus10.jpg

• Like 3

You put yourself into a situation here, Mike. I guess with your professional approach, it will only prolong the building time a bit. Sometimes, these difficult kits give, after a lot of hacking and slaying even more satisfaction, when transformed into a gem.

Cheers Rob

Hi all,
The saga continues.
Having carried out a bit more research I've found the following regarding the 3D printed cockpit:

The aircraft was fitted with a pilots steering wheel with the associated aileron control cables - not a control column
The pilot seat was a curved back seat type - not an armchair
The observers seat was a fold down seat on the rear bulkhead and facing forward - not an armchair type facing rearwards
The pilot and observers cockpit were as one - not separated by a solid bulkhead
The instrument panel does not have all of the instruments required
The observers cockpit has no detail such as radio gear etc
The observers machine gun is the wrong type.

So basically the only usable part of the 3D printed cockpit is the rudder bar!!
Then there is the over scale landing gear and wheels, not to mention the flimsy wire in the wings, intended as support and to prevent warping.

I will conquer this model, but for now it's being shelved,

Mike 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1