The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

3D Decal Advice Needed

GusMac

Hi all

Just thinking about what to do next after the F14. I'm thinking of doing the A-6E TRAM and I've got the Quinta Decals set for that and I was pondering the best process for applying these.

So, question to those who've used them before, do you paint and weather the cockpit then apply the decals OR paint the cockpit, apply the decals and then weather it? And if so, how do the decals stand up to oils for weathering? Do you have to seal with a gloss coat beforehand?

Sorry, lots of questions, but given the coast of the decal sets I'd rather not stuff it up.

• Like 2

I paint the cockpit, then add the decals. Any weathering comes last. I haven't sealed them prior to weathering.

This has worked on Quinta and Kits World 3D decals. I have some Red Fox and Eduard ones but haven't used them yet.  

Hope that helps. 

Carl

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 9:33 PM, GusMac said:

Hi all

Just thinking about what to do next after the F14. I'm thinking of doing the A-6E TRAM and I've got the Quinta Decals set for that and I was pondering the best process for applying these.

So, question to those who've used them before, do you paint and weather the cockpit then apply the decals OR paint the cockpit, apply the decals and then weather it? And if so, how do the decals stand up to oils for weathering? Do you have to seal with a gloss coat beforehand?

Sorry, lots of questions, but given the coast of the decal sets I'd rather not stuff it up.

I have used RedFox  on the Mosquito, they are a little different as you do not have to use water and are pretty solid panels. I painted the cockpit and IP added the RedFox items and the. I’ll literally add a dry fine dust over the panels just to hit them back a little, using dry pigments you do not have to seal………I’ll then weather the cockpit as required …….that’s my process………

• Like 2

Here's the Red Fox set for the Tamiya F-14A

PXL_20230711_231945477.thumb.jpg.0a9f87bfae3f7b2fae68a721b5a4e777.jpg

A couple panels were a bit over sized but I managed to trim them down slightly. Do be careful if you try that as they are definitely stiffer and more brittle feeling compared to the Quinta or Kits-World ones. 

• Like 2