Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Revell 1/48 F-86F Sabre Jet Build Thread

RalphSarc

Revell 1/48 F-86F Sabre Jet Build Thread.

History

The North American F-86 Sabre, sometimes called the Sabrejet, is a transonic jet fighter aircraft. Produced by North American Aviation, the Sabre is best known as the United States' first swept-wing fighter that could counter the swept-wing Soviet MiG-15 in high-speed dogfights in the skies of the Korean War (1950–1953), fighting some of the earliest jet-to-jet battles in history. Considered one of the best and most important fighter aircraft in that war, the F-86 is also rated highly in comparison with fighters of other eras. Although it was developed in the late 1940s and was outdated by the end of the 1950s, the Sabre proved versatile and adaptable and continued as a front-line fighter in numerous air forces.

IMG_4693.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!
Well the Sabre and s started!! Really simple kit so should build rather quickly and looking forward to using metallic paints again!
Step 1 and 2 complete. 
Built the really simple cockpit, seat, control stick and seat. Since the cockpit is so small I’ll do some simple detailing before attaching the canopy.
Installed the exhaust cone and glued the fuselage halves together.

IMG_4705.jpeg

IMG_4703.jpeg

IMG_4704.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Moving along!! Assembled the flaps and wings in step 3 plus drilled the holes to attach the under wing hard points and fuel tanks. I then attached the wing to the fuselage. Skipped ahead to step 8 I installed the real tail feathers just for fun!!

IMG_4707.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

While enjoy a quiet Saturday morning cup of coffee I completely step 5 assembling the nose wheel assembly and remembered to add weight to the nose. The instructions give no mention of a possible tail sitter or adding weight however it’s always better to be safe than sorry!!

IMG_4716.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happens way too often and we wonder why manufacturers design kits that way? Surely a sign that most likely none or just a few of the engineers are actually model builders. How hard would it have been to design the kit where the gear is added at the end as it should be and not sticking up in the way during construction, flaunting the builder to break it off unknowingly? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Happens way too often and we wonder why manufacturers design kits that way? Surely a sign that most likely none or just a few of the engineers are actually model builders. How hard would it have been to design the kit where the gear is added at the end as it should be and not sticking up in the way during construction, flaunting the builder to break it off unknowingly? 

Good point!! I usually wait to add gear, panels, antennas etc until the very end of a build!! Just got excited on this one, lol!!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...