Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Revell 1/32 Bell X-1 (Glamorous Glennis)

Aces High Basement Air Force FB Group Build Entry.
Revell 1/32 Bell X-1 Glamorous Glennis!

On October 14, 1947, the Bell X-1 became the first airplane to fly faster than the speed of sound. Piloted by U.S. Air Force Capt. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager, the X-1 reached a speed of 1,127 kilometers (700 miles) per hour, Mach 1.06, at an altitude of 13,000 meters (43,000 feet). Yeager named the airplane "Glamorous Glennis" in tribute to his wife.

Air-launched at an altitude of 7,000 meters (23,000 feet) from the bomb bay of a Boeing B-29, the X-1 used its rocket engine to climb to its test altitude. It flew a total of 78 times, and on March 26, 1948, with Yeager at the controls, it attained a speed of 1,540 kilometers (957 miles) per hour, Mach 1.45, at an altitude of 21,900 meters (71,900 feet). This was the highest velocity and altitude reached by a manned airplane up to that time.

IMG_6303.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looking forward to seeing what's involved with the build. 

I started this kit but haven't gotten past engraving some of the panel lines. 

Not sure how far I’ll go with it either. I built this kit 13 years ago so looking forward to building it again at my present skill set!

• Like 4

Completed step 1 assembling the rocket motor.
Since it will never be seen once the fuselage is closed up I’m going to present it as a stand alone next to the X-1. That way I can do some painting using actual pictures as a reference.

IMG_6313.jpeg

• Like 7

Complete step 2 assembling the cockpit. My first build years ago was a wheels up version. This time I’m building it wheels down with the cockpit hatch open minus the pilot showing off the cockpit interior.
I was unable to find any PE cockpit parts including harness however I think I have enough old parts and decals to really do the cockpit justice this time around!!

IMG_6314.jpeg

• Like 7

The instructions suggest paining the cockpit interior grey but the Smithsonian pictures clearly show it’s a military green color. Almost looks like a Tamiya XF-13 JA Green or XF-61 Dark Green.

IMG_6325.jpeg

• Like 10

After letting the hairspray dry while I ran to HomeDepot I over coated the cockpit with a base of XF-13 which compared to pictures is pretty darn close I think. 
might do some shading using Dark Green XF-61.

IMG_6340.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ralph Nice progress and the Artistro Acrylic Paint Pen Set sounds more then interesting. When you are using it, how about a mini-how too, would be much appreciated.  

Thanks Peter. The Artistro Acrylic Pens are a game changer when adding fine detail. I highlighted all the X-1 cockpit switches plus I used it exclusively to paint and highlight the X-1 rocket engine.

IMG_6429.jpeg

IMG_6402.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Ralph

Some mighty nice work in the front office - detailing and weathering look spot on the money. :construction:

Oh thanks Peter. I’m enjoying building the kit a second time using my current skill set. I’m essentially a Dark Side kit builder now however I do enjoy the odd aircraft build one in a while. The X-1 is for a FB group build over at The Basement Air Force.

• Like 3