The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/35 US Multiple Gun Motor Carriage M16 Halftrack Quad, (“Meat Chopper”) Build Thread

Tamiya 1/35 US Multiple Gun Motor Carriage M16 Halftrack Quad, (“Meat Chopper”) Build Thread.

The M16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, also known as the M16 half-track, was an American self-propelled anti-aircraft weapon built during World War II. It was equipped with four .50 caliber (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns in an M45 Quadmount. 2700 were produced by White Motor Company from May 1943 to March 1944, with 568 M13 MGMCs and 109 T10 half-tracks being converted into M16s as well.

The chassis was derived from the T1E2 chassis, an earlier version of the M13. Based on an M3 half-track chassis, it replaced the M13 MGMC half-track after early 1944. As aircraft became more advanced, the usefulness of the M16 was reduced. In the Korean War, it was relegated primarily to the ground-support role, being put out of service in the U.S. Army in 1954.

Nicknamed the "Meat Chopper", the M16 was famous for its effectiveness against low-flying aircraft and infantry, making it extremely popular with soldiers. It was used by the United States Army, the British Commonwealth, and South Korea. A similar version of the M16, the M17, was based on the M5 half-track and exported via Lend-Lease to the Soviet Union.

IMG_6584.jpeg

IMG_6586.jpeg

• Like 2

While rummaging in my stash the other day I was surprised to find that I already owned a Tamiya 1/35 US Halftrack. Of course this was after I had excitingly order two more vis eBay!! Now I have three, lol!!

IMG_6510.jpeg

IMG_6511.jpeg

IMG_6552.jpeg

IMG_6553.jpeg

• Like 7

I don't think time's been too kind to this moulding, (1975 ish ?) although it was pretty much the only game in town for a long time and I know it's been re released again .

My recollection of the Tamiya M3 is the terrible tracks that struggled to sit nice  , no engine, and the "80mm" tub armour , the walls and doors are sooooo thick . 

I know AFV Club launched some last year which got good reviews .

• Like 2

Oh nice. I never built the Tamiya one. I'll be following along. 

I have the Dragon one in the stash with a Griffon update set for it. You basically throw away 1/2 the kit it seems. 

1 hour ago, PanzerWomble said:

My recollection of the Tamiya M3 is the terrible tracks that struggled to sit nice  

Dragon take an interesting approach to the tracks. They're moulded plastic and are split lengthwise. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

I don't think time's been too kind to this moulding, (1975 ish ?) although it was pretty much the only game in town for a long time and I know it's been re released again .

My recollection of the Tamiya M3 is the terrible tracks that struggled to sit nice  , no engine, and the "80mm" tub armour , the walls and doors are sooooo thick . 

I know AFV Club launched some last year which got good reviews .

Thanks Panzer.

I’ve watched several YouTube builds, one straight out of the box, and your right it’s a very old kit but I thought all three would be fun to build especially eliminating all the numerous seams lines etc. I be thought I’d throw some stowage and tarps at it too.

• Like 3

Began the fiddly work of assembling the gun mount in step 2. I’m trying to address any seam lines as did the builder in the YouTube videos I posted. 
I was going to drill out the 50cal barrels but sadly I don’t hand a pin drill bit that small.

IMG_6705.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

For some reason I could sleep so decided on some early Easter morning plastic therapy and completed very fiddly steps 3 and 4 assembling the quad mount turret. 
In typical Tamiya fashion all the parts fit perfectly considering the age of this kit.

IMG_8383.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

I built this kit years ago..... about 1980 or so. I remember it was long

before I had an airbrush even! Cool, a bit of nostalgia for me to view

your progress. Looking good so far!

Yeah this kit is an oldie but a goodie, lol!!! Lots of seam lines and ejection marks however cleans up pretty easily. The fit is pretty perfect even after the years. I actually have all three variants.

• Like 3

Continuing the chassis build up and of course a few roadwheels. Really amazed at the flt of all the parts. I’ve encountered absolutely no issues so far. Like a said early some parts and a few seams  required a bit of cleanup but certainly nothing major.

IMG_8552.jpeg

IMG_8553.jpeg

IMG_8554.jpeg

• Like 3