Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya F-4E Phantom II: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW, Korat, Vietnam 1968-69: DONE!

Following on from Peter's problems with his 3D printed seat, my attempts to separate the clear resin canopy pieces from their pour blocks was 95% successful.  Yeah, not 100% successful.  Ugh

I got nearly all the way around, using my small razor saw when at the very last connection, a small part of the canopy frame snapped off and I have no clue where it went.

PXL_20240627_225009192.thumb.jpg.adc68f3c54d58f36d17fc21b90c6ad0f.jpg

and what it SHOULD look like on the other side:

PXL_20240627_225017715.thumb.jpg.cdede0c1da87c7836fffb45e2a9a50d3.jpg

SOO CLOSE!!!!  :censored:  ARRGG.

The windscreen also seems a bit out of whack as well, running just a bit long (the windscreen rear needs a little bit more trimming).  Will have to see about may be adjusting the HUD which may sit a bit proud, for both windscreens.

PXL_20240627_225415548.thumb.jpg.ed4929d04d6c4b35928e79dcec63c8a0.jpg

Compared to the kit piece:

PXL_20240627_225349908.thumb.jpg.c46c9ec06fb4a047dc42e8f0672343b3.jpg

I may end up just using the kit pieces.  

Here they are test fitted:

PXL_20240627_224952970.thumb.jpg.f520144138b0e1c8b4eebad2915fe00d.jpg

Lots still to do.

PXL_20240627_225149821.jpg

PXL_20240627_225203025.jpg

• Like 7

Ugh, I feel your pain there Chris. I'm currently working on the Eagle's canopy myself. 

Looking at the break, it seems to be just the frame is missing and not the clear section. You could try using styrene to patch it but you'd have to be careful around the clear bits. 

The biggest challenge with the kit pieces is the spot that they attach to the sprue. I would recommend cutting it off the sprue leaving a stub on the part. This way you don't get the splintering effect. Then carefully sand off the stub. There may still be a small scar showing but I hide that under a coat of paint to replicate the sealant that goes around the edge between the glass and the frame. 

• Like 4

Carl, excellent idea about the sealant.  I was very careful about how I clipped the sprue attachment point but I like your idea of cutting it a bit long then carefully sanding it down.

I'm not as clever with the styrene bits so that would take me a fairly long time to fix.  I really am trying to hit the deadline, even if not with the full armament build out.

• Like 3

• CANicoll changed the title to Tamiya F-4E Phantom II: Sharks Mouth 388th TFW, Korat, Vietnam 1968-69: More stencils..

Using the kit pieces for the canopy did some painting of the frames while the Future-dipped clear pieces dry.  There is still a bit of final painting to be done on the center piece to match the fuselage camo line, but while that dries, worked on some of the nose stencils.   Should make more progress this weekend.

PXL_20240629_005749182.thumb.jpg.a52269bd51bf0d1121c9a8197007efd6.jpg

• Like 4

Chris

As we use to say back in the day; what a bummer. For my money while 3D printed detail parts are incredible, they are very fragile and more then extra care needs to be taken. For chunky parts like the entire Aces II ejection seat, no issues but for the finer and more delicate parts (canopy rails) just oh so delicate.

I'm in your corner and would just go with the Tamiya parts as they fit fine and you won't have to worry about breaking parts so easily. 

:construction:

• Like 1

Made a bit more progress on the nose stencils (over 30 of them just on the left side!!) as well as touching up the canopy framing and matching the fuselage camo pattern.  

PXL_20240629_195636115.thumb.jpg.6e6bb0abebca88af2f03cb3d1a385427.jpg

With the canopy piece in place and I notice there is a huge scratch on the side of the front canopy - lower left corner.  Dipped it in Future again and it looks better but will see how it turn out when the future dries.

PXL_20240629_200250720.thumb.jpg.063685c24778f3a9fff06651aca0f65c.jpg

Overhead view.  These are the kit pieces after an initial Future dip are extremely clear.  I may have an errant stencil in there - white stencils are for green backgrounds.  Black is for tan/brown backgrounds.

PXL_20240629_200259499.thumb.jpg.8c8f31aa4e6f86f42f0f03a376fe7e30.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looking great with all those stencils, Chris. Somehow you seem to have some serious bad mojo with clear parts right now. I couldn´t really see the scratch on the photo and might let it be there, If I were you.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice work on all those stencils and the paint work. 

If you need a replacement canopy, I have a spare one around.

Carl, thank you but I'm going to keep up with the kit one for now. I appreciate the offer.  If it was more noticeable I'd jump at your offer.

For the life of me I can't think of how the scratch got there but oh well!  I just looked at the canopy after a second Future dip and while I see the scratch there, I don't think I'm going to mess with it, as Rob suggested.  Part of it will be covered by painting.  Like you, I may display with the canopy up, but may display it down as the canopies are pretty clear.  

• Like 3

Chris

Amazing progress on those stencils and you blew right past me on how many I used on my Tamiya Tomcat build. Looking mighty good for sure and I didn't see the scratch on the glass either.

Thanks Peter!  There are still SOO MANY to go.I've hit the pause button on the stencils for a bit so I could work on finishing the cockpit/canopy, the resin tires, the AN/ALQ, getting the right angle on the wing tips and started looking at the Sidewinders.  This group builds end July 3, 2025, right?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Minor update for tonight, but should make a lot of progress over the weekend.

Got the AN/ALQ-87 ECM pod assembled/painted and stenciled.  The mounting to the aircraft is not exactly clear but based on a few photographs it looks like it was winched pretty tight against the fuselage, or tight enough, see JV551 below.  Also noted that the JV aircraft did not carry the 'Slime' formation lights:

This was found on a posting at the other website.  It was noted that application was highly variable and many F-4E's did not have them.

Engineering Change Proposal 852S1 (T.O. 1F-4-776) introduced the so-called slime lights as a production feature with Block 45 (and subsequent) F-4E models. First fielded between mid-1970 and 1971. First Phantom II with production slime lights: F-4E-45-MC, 69-7579.

F-4_321_.jpg.cb24473239d86e094cf55d484cd7c0b1.jpg

Notice No slime lights above, but they are on the aircraft below:  Also how tight the AN/ALQ is attached to the airframe.

Screenshot_3-7-2024_95318_www.flickr_com.jpeg.0e3e1edb5996f6301398f610e367c219.jpeg

The Reskit AN/ALQ-87 ECM pod is very detailed however I did find one minor issue:  The instructions call out decal #9 to go on the long nose cone.  Except on the decal sheet, there are no #8 or #9 decals, something I did not notice until I was at the end of decaling.  I emailed Reskit and within 12 hours had a response that they had caught the error and current kits have the correct decal sheet.  They are posting one to me as well.  Super customer service!

PXL_20240703_001942247.thumb.jpg.ec93a7124e1f82c570ee4eccddf87360.jpg

PXL_20240703_003015738.thumb.jpg.4712e59f34a8bc9e4955691e8431ff63.jpg

Fixed my earlier miss:

PXL_20240701_013331951(1).thumb.jpg.cde4c5ee1afe613e8fe939ee88921491.jpg

More to come!

PXL_20240701_012850556 (1).jpg

PXL_20240703_001942247 (1).jpg

F-4_391_.jpg

Edited by CANicoll
Update
  • Like 7

Chris

Looking mighty good and the stencil work could drive a man insane! :wallbash:

Reskit AN/ALQ-87 ECM pod is awesome looking and some terrific customer service on getting you out the missing decals. 

Just checked the dates for the GB and it ended yesterday. But I would hope Martin could give you and Carl and extension considering the amount of work you both are doing. 

• Like 2

Hey Peter,

Yeah, I know I was going to miss the July 3 deadline, but I'm going to keep going.  The stencils are a build onto themselves.  I have applied 61 stencils on the left side of the fuselage alone, and I messed up 3; I still have a few more to do.  Thinking about just doing the one side and calling it a day.  Plus, the wings, etc.

Starting with the AN/ALQ.  The fit is good (just sitting there here).  You don't see the seam at the bottom of the intake.  (Ugly, gotta fix that).

PXL_20240704_015710751.thumb.jpg.7058e615e6ff585f787cc84bd9652dc1.jpg

PXL_20240704_015637287.thumb.jpg.9446213659981f1f27ef579e498e5116.jpg

And on to the stencils.  Canopy is just fitted - will be displayed open but it doesn't stay that way on its own.  BTW, Carl's suggestion to use the Gundam markers on the canopy was spot on. Made a huge difference doing the edges before attaching to the frames.

PXL_20240704_161839400.thumb.jpg.f2a04fff8d22816fc210fd14288ccb19.jpg

PXL_20240704_161848580.thumb.jpg.61de842ee6007d701c608917cf8c9389.jpg

Have not applied a clear coat over the decals yet.

• Like 7

Chris

Amazing work. The F4 is a Big Guy and of course a huge kit in both size and complexity. Don't worry about the deadline, as for starters, you had a late start and it's a kit with a load of issues you had to correct and fix. There were a few times on my Tomcat build I felt like not adding all the stencil data but after a night or two of taking a good break, I went back to it with new vigor, went to town and was so glad I actually added them all. I knew down the road; it would always have bothered me if I left some off because they beat me in the end. if I missed some, that was by accident, but I tried to add all I had.

Don't worry about the deadline, the GB is over, the important point is to finish, following your plan from day one as the F4 will be on display in your home for many years to come. Besides, there is a good feeling you get, knowing you won the battle of the stencil data and the build itself.

Keep going!

• Like 3

Making progress on the stencils and other wrap-up details.  Stencil count is nearly 100 at this point.

Got the wings to approximate the 12-degree angle but they are dry fitted at the moment.

PXL_20240705_185937765.thumb.jpg.6d4b0fae80258d6738b31bd8de855dec.jpg

PXL_20240705_185957035.thumb.jpg.8db8b4e0b22151d179183f0c2722fe49.jpg

Wrapping up the left side stencils before moving over to tackle the other side.  The bottom may just have to wait.  Still need to assemble the sidewinders.  Each only needs the front four fins attached, but the attachment point is small so they have to be attached carefully.  Won't be fun...

Seats are in (just placed) but looks like there is sufficient clearance for the canopy to be closed - but the canopies will be open - and the windscreen to cover the HUD.

PXL_20240705_184751963.thumb.jpg.94f0fa8915a847e19a0cbf3306e83b45.jpgPXL_20240705_190241306.thumb.jpg.ab89423108df94eed94ae05322df4d97.jpg

More to come!

• Like 6

Chris

Looking mighty good and a small break from all the stenciling has been well earned. Maybe take a deep breath and a few days off, regroup the troops and then you will be fired up to make the run for the finish line with plenty of gas in the tank. Huge projects like the Phantom, just seem to be nearly never ending and at times it's hard to stay focused ... I seem to be there a lot these days. 

Thanks, Peter. Have to agree with you.  Spending hours upon hours just doing stencils is sapping my will.  Trying to alternate working on other parts - which does help.  I wish I would have started this build a month sooner, however.

Not sure I would tackle the stencils again in 1/32 scale although I cannot imagine doing them on a 1/48 build.  And it is amazing how they look on the aircraft.  

I did screw up a few stencils, mostly folded over and I could not correct, and I tore them.  One wonderful aspect of the stencils is they are very thin. It only takes a few second in the water to loosen them.  And I got the colors wrong on some - white on the brown and black on the green which I mostly corrected.  The stencil sheet diagrams are fairly generic as the diagrams do not match the wing/fuselage configuration I have so where the stencil sheet called for stencils to be placed on certain panels/access ports, some of those don't exist on my aircraft.  Also, the stencils in white are extremely hard to see and the number call-outs are not always clearly placed.  It takes a while to see exactly where the decal is, and then CAREFULLY cut it out.  On some of the stencils there is not a lot of room between them.  Something else I learned, some of the decals are fairly long, and better cut into 2 or more pieces.

I guess what I'm saying is that in addition to the sheer number of stencils, it is a bit of a chore to 1. find the right one, 2. ensure the proper color, 3. cut it out, 4. put it in place.  Time consuming so I've taken to get three or four ready at a time

Put another 30 or so on the wings and started on the right side of the nose...  I really want to get to those Sidewinders!!

Hope you and Diane are doing well.

• Like 3

A truly painful process with the stenciling Chris, but wait until 1ManArmy comes out with stencil masks for the big F4, applying these is true tormenting fun :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You're doing a great job on the stencils Chris. I'm going to have to do them on the 1/48 F-4 kits that I have so that will be a challenge. The Japanese absolutely loved them on their Phantoms. 

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

A truly painful process with the stenciling Chris, but wait until 1ManArmy comes out with stencil masks for the big F4, applying these is true tormenting fun :D.

Cheers Rob

I cannot even IMAGINE doing these with masks...  Torture, for sure!

9 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

You're doing a great job on the stencils Chris. I'm going to have to do them on the 1/48 F-4 kits that I have so that will be a challenge. The Japanese absolutely loved them on their Phantoms. 

Thank you, Carl.  Seriously, is it even possible to do stencils like this in 1/48?  You must have a strong magnifying glass!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Thanks, Peter. Have to agree with you.  Spending hours upon hours just doing stencils is sapping my will.  Trying to alternate working on other parts - which does help.  I wish I would have started this build a month sooner, however.

Not sure I would tackle the stencils again in 1/32 scale although I cannot imagine doing them on a 1/48 build.  And it is amazing how they look on the aircraft.  

I did screw up a few stencils, mostly folded over and I could not correct, and I tore them.  One wonderful aspect of the stencils is they are very thin. It only takes a few second in the water to loosen them.  And I got the colors wrong on some - white on the brown and black on the green which I mostly corrected.  The stencil sheet diagrams are fairly generic as the diagrams do not match the wing/fuselage configuration I have so where the stencil sheet called for stencils to be placed on certain panels/access ports, some of those don't exist on my aircraft.  Also, the stencils in white are extremely hard to see and the number call-outs are not always clearly placed.  It takes a while to see exactly where the decal is, and then CAREFULLY cut it out.  On some of the stencils there is not a lot of room between them.  Something else I learned, some of the decals are fairly long, and better cut into 2 or more pieces.

I guess what I'm saying is that in addition to the sheer number of stencils, it is a bit of a chore to 1. find the right one, 2. ensure the proper color, 3. cut it out, 4. put it in place.  Time consuming so I've taken to get three or four ready at a time

Put another 30 or so on the wings and started on the right side of the nose...  I really want to get to those Sidewinders!!

Hope you and Diane are doing well.

Thanks Chris for the well wishes for Diane and me.

I found on huge projects as the F4, I like to build, paint and weather the missiles, loadouts and gear much earlier in the build then the instructions call for, so when I reach that stage in the build, all I have to do is glue them in place. Just saves a lot of time and mojo and I won't rush it.  

Stencils are a boat load of work and tough on the eyes. Just keep alternating the areas and they will eventually be finished and conquered.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

I cannot even IMAGINE doing these with masks...  Torture, for sure!

I stenciled a Corsair and an Arado 234 with masks. The Arado was the worst, having some stencils in three different colors.
Some years ago, I completely stenciled a 1/48 Kai Phantom and boy, this was exhausting. Some of the fuselage stencils were grouped though and the quality of the decals was so good, no silvering or carrier film showed.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5