The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Photos from IPMS BLIZZCON 2024

As we do every year, Jarrod (my special needs son) and I attended the annual IPMS, Region 4, Great Lakes, Model Show hosted by the Cast Eddie Rickenbacker Chapter in Columbus Ohio. The weather the day before the how was sunny and around 65. The morning of the show it was 24 and 4 inches of snow (C-R-A-P!). While we initially thought it would have an effect on attendance and contest participants.... it did not. That in itself goes to show you that the current dedication within our modeling community is good. 

Registration was very easy and inexpensive. Once we were setting our models in the appropriate location (by subject, skill level, scale, period, etc.) for judging we could immediate see that this competition was going to be well represented in most all subjects, especially aircraft and armor with well over 50 models in these categories. We brought our 1/16 Sherman M4A3E8, the recently completed 1/35 Churchill AVRE, our 1/350 IJN Yamato, and the 1/24 4-4-0 General Steam Locomotive. 

The competition area closed for judging promptly at 12:30 which allowed us to get lunch (at the venue, which was very good) and look around the vendor area. This year was strongly represented if you are one of the armor, aircraft, Gundam, or auto modelers. There were not any of the direct PE or resin vendors for detail after-market parts that were normally attending, but some was still available through regular model sellers.

Judging and final awards were handed out well before 3:30. Here's were I normally say that I do not build my kits for competition standards. Many have heard me say that Jarrod and I build them for our selves but we would not be honest if we didn't say that positive or constructive feedback from peers isn't something we hope for. For us it's not in winning but instead discussing techniques and ideas with like minded modelers and just sharing the moment with the modeling community. This year we were lucky enough to finish with two second places; one for the Yamato and one for the 1/16 Sherman Easy Eight. With the level of competition we were really surprised on placing in anything as the skill level was very high this year.

Speaking of modeling skill, as with every year, here are just some of the modeling in the competition. We hope you enjoy the photos and thanks for looking.

DIORAMAS:

HARD and SOFT SKIN MILITARY:

HELICOPTER (not many this year?)

AIRCRAFT (all variants)

FIGURES:

CAR / TRUCK

Fun was had by everyone seeing old friends, meeting new friends, and with fond experiences to remember. I did not take any photos of my entries as they have already been seen here in the forum. Also, sorry but for some reason I didn't take photos of any ships or subs (not many being shown). And I did not photo any of the 40 or more WW2 German armor models (can't explain why, just didn't....SORRY). 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for taking the time to post all the photographs from the show - the build quality is awesome and as with every show, the bar keeps rising.

Absolutely a wonderful way to share the show and hobby with your son.

• Like 3