The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Romanian Bf109E-3

This model represents aircraft No.37 of Grupul 7 Vanatoare, Forţele Aeriene Regale ale României, based at Pipera-Bucharesti, Romania, as delivered in March 1941.  There are many photos of these aircraft at the time of delivery and shortly thereafter, which show them in RLM 70/65 .  Note that Luftwaffe paint was semi-gloss when applied, so I represented this on my model as well.  Not really visible in the accompanying photos, but barely perceptible on the model, are the original German markings and camo scheme on the upper wings showing through the new RLM70 overcoat, based on photos of this airframe.

DSCN3965_zpsc0f7a58d.jpg

DSCN3964_zpsc0e13783.jpg

DSCN3963_zps8c0bffc4.jpg

DSCN3960_zps653372c3.jpg

DSCN3959_zpsbae9ae9f.jpg

DSCN3977_zpseee2d77d.jpg

DSCN3968_zpsb15acf7e.jpg

I used the excellent RB Productions Romanian Bf109E Part 3 decal sheet.  Other than an initial self-inflicted problem, the decals went on beautifully and I would highly recommend them (or Part 1, Part 2) to anyone looking for a colorful and out-of-the-ordinary scheme for their own 109E.  Other aftermarket used were the excellent Airscale instrument decals, Master 109E barrel set, and an MV lens for the gunsight.  "Scratch-built" details include the 11 part aerial wire and assorted parts, some stainless steel wire for the rudder control cables, plastic tube for the fuselage MG "blast tubes", some aluminum tube for the spinner cannon tube and some stretched clear sprue (painted) for the wingtip lights.

Thanks for looking!

Doug

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...