The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WNW Roland D.VIa finnished.

Guest DannyVM

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Hi guy's,

i'm back with some progress. Previous, i painted the hatches of the fuselage in a pale blue color, on it's own, it is not a bad color, but when i compared it with the Tamiya XF-76 color it was to much difference.

I needed a more suitable color so i repainted the hatches in US grey light.

DSCN0676_zps875f8840.jpg

Decals are placed onto the fuselage, and the Spandau machineguns are also glued on theire place.

This is the fuselage after decal placement, but still with the previous color on the hatches.

DSCN0675_zpsedb88a9a.jpg

This is the fuselage after repainting the hatches together with the machineguns in place

DSC_0068_zpsaa729a79.jpg

DSC_0072_zps860aa3b8.jpg

Detail of the machineguns. I used the Master brass barrel set.

DSC_0082_zps224c3b1e.jpg

DSC_0084_zps47860cc4.jpg

DSC_0076_zpsf8754f5c.jpg

That's all for now, thank's for watching.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

WOW!  Looks fantastic

Thank's jonathan, for the nice comment. :)

nice build Danny. Where did you got those Lozenge decals from ? They look very cool.

Thank's Stefan,

the Lozenge decals are from Wood&Wire (Old Propellor).

I bought them on the Arrow & Wolf webstore. Grant lovett from Arrow & Wolf is a great guy and offers a very great service.

http://www.arrow-wolf.com/

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

It looking nice. Happy that i order the same by WnW. 

Thank's, you will have a lot's of fun with these kits, WNW are great kit's.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Just WOW!!!!! Will try to learn from masters like you! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Thank's allot for this very nice compliment Arno :)

The way i see it is, that we learn of each other, no matter what level of experience, we all have some skills that we can show so other's can use them to. That's the power of forums like LSM and LSP, these are great place to be with nice folk's. I'm happy to be part of it. :)  :)

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Time to put some more progress on this bird, but first, i have a question for you guy's and girl's.

Regarding the propellor, i am a little bit lostblush.png

The version i am building should have, according to the WNW instructions, an axial propellor (kitpart n° E24).

DSCN0696_zps0498e085.jpg

DSCN0693kopie_zpsb9490447.jpg

iff i am right, this should be a late war propellor. I have a photo of a late war Fokker DR.I from Jasta 14, that is also equiped with this sort propellor.

FokkerDRI15_zpsf631bb79.jpg

Now iff you guy's look good, you can see the Axial logo on this propellor. The same logo is included on the decal sheed, but for a strange reason WNW instructions mentioned that theire must be another logo should be applied to the propellor?? A german cross with some logo aside??

Now take a look at this photo, this is the actual plane i am building, and iff you take a closer look, you will see the German cross logo on his propellor, but, i doubth iff this is an axial propellor??

DSCN0702_zps18ef14cc.jpg

and a closer look, at the tip of the propellor

DSCN0700_zpse7b65d54.jpg

Could it be that WNW made an error regarding the choise of the propellor, or is it just memental.gif

Iff it should be the axial propellor, i think it would make sense to add the axial logo onto the propellor, but it could also be another propellor , in order to put the cross logo onto it.

Please guy's, help me to brainstorm this problemplease.gif

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Hi guy's,

Mike, thank's for you're feedback mate.  i did some research myself, and to be honest, i took the most logical solution.

Some-one one WW1 airplane forum mentioned that the German cross with logo could be Germania, and a quick google came indeed to the solution that this logo was indeed Germania.

Now iff i compare the five different prop's to the photo, in the same angle, only one gave me enough sattisfaction, and that's according to the WNW instructions a Heine prop.

The kit's prop, in two different angles, in compare with the photo shown in the instructions book.

DSCN0715_zpsef677cd2.jpg

DSCN0713_zpsdb018799.jpg

My dicission was quickly made that this was the prop, and therefore i used this.

For now, let's go further with the progress, slow.....but all thing's will come together nicelyhmmm.gif hmmm.gif

I did some dry-fit of attaching the lower wing to the fuselage, together with the landing gear and wheels.

DSCN0703_zps196c0631.jpg

DSCN0705_zps5f328a6b.jpg

DSCN0707_zpsb1bd9fdc.jpg

there's still need of much detailling and wheatering, but for now, all part's are painted in theire respectivly color's so the fun can begin.

DSCN0708_zps5f556072.jpg

The bungee cord's of the landinggear are allready finnished.

DSCN0711_zps6731ab78.jpg

That's all for now folk's. thank's for watching.

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Hey guy's, i'm back with some more progress.cool.png

Today, i did some work on the wing's and fuselage and some part's, regarding the matt coat. For this i used Tamiya matt clear.

Also, the lower wing and landing gear was attached and glued to the fuselage.

Fuselage with lower wing after receiving it's matt coat.

DSCN0728_zpsb15fac06.jpg

Also attached the exhaust to the engine.

DSCN0729_zps12d3b372.jpg

DSCN0730_zps4e143877.jpg

Engine cowl dry fitted to the fuselage, i don't know iff i will leaved this way, maybe i will redo the cowl.BANGHEAD2.jpg

DSCN0731_zps7be0c79c.jpg

After this was done, i made all eyelets for the attachment of the rigging, and glued them to the wing's.

DSCN0740_zps5e85b241.jpg

For now, all pre-needed attachments are done, so it was time to glue the upper wing to the fuselage and lower wing. I was not very eager to do this, because off the proper alligment that was needed, but to my surprise, it fitted perfect, and together with that the alligment was perfect without the need of a jig, or device.

DSCN0744_zpsaac9046c.jpg

DSCN0745_zps30d4af6e.jpg

DSC_0092_zpse0093705.jpg

DSC_0093_zpsf829b6d2.jpg

DSC_0094_zpsfd9d946a.jpg

DSC_0095_zps570da420.jpg

DSC_0096_zps2cd49b26.jpg

DSC_0097_zps3888e558.jpg

And, last progress of the day, the wooden propellor, my real first problem-child of this kit. Nothing to do with the quality of the kit part, but all with my skills of painting a wooden propBANGHEAD2.jpg BANGHEAD2.jpg BANGHEAD2.jpg blowup.gif

Ok, i restarted this prop for about five time's before i could get this result.

DSC_0100_zps9d7f3aa1.jpg

DSC_0101_zps64ea8b81.jpg

DSC_0102_zps30d7d8e0.jpg

I will rest my case with this result.hmmm.gif hmmm.gif

That's it for now, thank's for watching guy's.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Thank's Jeroen, and yes, time is needed to get a more or less clean build, but to be honest, these WNW kit's deserve to treathed with respect, isn't it.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

A little progress regarding the prop.

This weekend i managed to put some work into the Roland, and for now i can say that this build slowly comes to a end. But some work is still needed to do, some detail painting and some more wheatering is needed before this bird can be rigged.

Today i finnished the prop. I gave it a gloss clear coat, and added the Germania decals.

DSC_0001_zps4609e7ca.jpg

DSC_0002_zps58e05342.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsd8dce9c4.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Hi James, well that's a very nice compliment, thank you mate.

What kind of tutorials do you have in mind james?

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Hi guy's,

time to put some photo's overhere regarding the rigging of the Roland............with some delay, because i needed some fresh air, after two hours of riggingmental.gif mental.gif BANGHEAD2.jpg BANGHEAD2.jpg ......now i know for sure.....rigging is not for the weak hearted.

Ok, one side is mostly done, except for the aileron cables. I used Ushi standard rigging wire, and brass tube 0.5 m/m from Albion Alloys.

Turnbuckles are from GasPatch.

First, i started with the rigging between the landinggear, let's say, to get the feeling, and i must admitt, the first try-outs where a complete disaster.

DSCN0773_zps4e50be8f.jpg

DSCN0774_zpsbc775eb5.jpg

I used the Ushi technique, and i must say, this is a very good way to get a nice rigging result.

DSCN0772_zpse769ffd6.jpg

DSCN0771_zps9bb3e96c.jpg

Some close-ups of the rigging between the strut's and the turnbuckles.

DSCN0770_zps87b7079a.jpg

DSCN0769_zpsaca8124b.jpg

DSCN0766_zps6766618e.jpg

Thank's for watching guy's, for now, i'm gonna get me some good old Belgian Duvels (beer)innocent.gif to relax a little bit.hmmm.gif

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

The rigging is finnaly come to an end......blink.png blink.png and to be honest, i'm gladbeer.gif

Only thing to do, is put some paint onto the turnbuckles and some final touch ups, before i can call this build done.

DSC_00052_zps7d6106ce.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsa2f4d4af.jpg

DSC_00072_zps1dbea84c.jpg

greetz

Danny

Hi Guy's,

first i wanna say that i'm very pleased with the lot's of very nice comment's regarding this build. This gave me a lot's of courage. After all, this was my very first W.W.1 build ever.

Still theire need's to be some work done regarding the base plate (wich is drying at the moment after a primer coat), the pilot and the fuel cart who will stand besides the model. This is the reason why i'm not displaying the model in the finnished section of the forum, that will be preserved when the whole dio is done.

For now, here are some pic's of the finnished model

DSC_0001kopie_zpscd9b0862.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsa3e669f5.jpg

DSC_0007_zps55cd571f.jpg

DSC_0009_zps72b6fa61.jpg

DSC_00102_zps41328b8b.jpg

DSC_0012_zpseea977ba.jpg

DSC_0013_zpsc33fb0dc.jpg

Greetz

Danny