The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

WNW Roland D.VIa finnished.

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

The most of them yes, exept for pictures 1, 2, 3 and 4 they where taken with my Nikon D50, with a lens that is not so good to take close detail pic's.

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Hi guy's,

time to put some more progress on the www. :)

I took some time to prepare the fuselage, wings and controle surfaces for the Lozenge and Ushi wood decals. Mr.surfacer 1200 primer, and Tamiya XF-55 deck tan for the base coat together with some pre-shade.

DSCN0062_zps84a11418.jpg

I decided to start with the Lozenge decals, for this i use the Wood & Wire decals wich i find very realistic compared with the kit decals. ^_^

To get some feeling into a new world that will open for me, i first tackled the lower Lozenge on the horizontal tail section.

soon i realize that the Wood &Wire decals had to be handled with the most care possible because they are very fragile, but also very thin.

After looking for some courage :wacko:  it was time to start a unknow journey.

Soon i realize that all was not so bad at all, the decals could be handled very good, and i was very pleased with the end result.

DSC_0296_zps8d45c9a4.jpg

DSC_0295_zpsf23d3e28.jpg

For the wings i decided to cut the Lozenge decals in part's, to prevent that the decals where to big to handle, it's a little extra work, but for me, it was a good job.

DSC_0292_zps6658663f.jpg

DSC_0293_zps894acd4f.jpg

DSC_0294_zps759809e0.jpg

After all, this is a very pleasant work, maybe i made some mistakes  but the end result is good for me.

Greetz

Danny

• 1 month later...
Guest DannyVM

Hi all,

some time ago, i started on the WNW Roland..........and i tought it was about time to put some more progress on this bird.

After i decaled the two wings and the tail section with the excellent Lozenge decals from the Wood & Wire range, i decided to give the wings some depth with a post-shade.

For this i used oils, a very time consuming work, but at the end, i think it's quit allright to say that the end result i think is satisfied.

Under side of the wings after decaling the Lozenge decals, and post shading with oils

DSCN0193_zpsd5a9f8ef.jpg

Upper side of the wings.

DSCN0194_zps8f9de38e.jpg

And the upper side after post-shading with oils

DSCN0248_zps86215b80.jpg

Between the work, i searched for a good figure, to stand proud in front of the Roland, depict on so many photo's of that time, where pilot's posed proud in front of theire flying machines. Not many figures are on the market, in such a pose, so my choice was very limited. I didn't wanted to put a famous pilot in front of the model.

So one beautifull figure got my attention, that from Elan13.

045_zpsbdb30e62.jpg

044_zpse579d191.jpg

And this is what i got a few day's later after ordering it.

DSCN0254_zpsa9e9a903.jpg

DSCN0253_zps9b20e181.jpg

The head and left hand are seperated, very nice figure that will stand for sure very good with the model.

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Back for some progress on the Roland itself.

The wings and horizontal stabilizer got theire rib takes.

Oh boy, iff you tought the Old Propellor lozenge decals where a real challenge, the, rib takes are for certain a pain staking proces to apply. :omg:

But at the end, after all is done, the rib takes decals are, once they settled a real realistic ad-on to the model. :D

The lower wing, upper side

DSCN0261_zps16a23113.jpg

DSCN0262_zps2cb03246.jpg

lower wing, lower side

i did apply also the crosses, but here it went not really like i wanted, after i apply the Micro Sol, the crosses did show a strange way of settling, i don't know why, but the end result isn't really the way i wanted. Ok i will mask this with some wheatering, and it is the lower side, but still, i don't like it.

DSCN0263_zps44b843f1.jpg

Upper wing, upper side

DSCN0270_zps8c85d3be.jpg

upper wing, lower side

DSCN0267_zps3da42492.jpg

DSCN0268_zps98b09e97.jpg

And at last, the horizontal stabilizer, lower and upper side

DSCN0271_zps71a9adb5.jpg

DSCN0272_zps41b838e3.jpg

That's all for now.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Nice work Danny! Love the contrast in the lozenge. Very nice!

Thank's Jeroen. :)

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Wonderful work on your pilot figure. He's very life like!

Hi Ralph,

sorry to say, but the painted pilot figure isn't mine. I still need to start the painting. 

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Today i did some more work on the upper wing. Some painting had to be done, and also the balken crosses needed to placed on top of the upper wing :unsure:  :unsure:

After the lower wing balken crosses weren't very succesfull, you guy's can imagin that i was not very eager to start on this.

But, all wen't very well, and at the moment it's a succes.

DSCN0277_zps3d0dd89b.jpg

DSCN0278_zps7065c9ad.jpg

DSCN0283_zps604abdaa.jpg

Radiator, on the upper and lower side is done. And the aileron control horn's are placed and painted.

DSCN0279_zpse2a28568.jpg

DSCN0280_zps7c49b13f.jpg

DSCN0282_zpsd4fdabb8.jpg

That's all for now folks.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Great work, Danny! Isn't the "fabric-weave" on the lozenge decals somewhat too pronounced? Or does it give this impression because of the resolution on my screen (moiré)? Anyhow, looks 

Thank's Erik,

iff i look at the photo, yes indeed, but in real time no. This come's because i took the photo on the macro stand with my camera, and after i looked at it, indeed, it gives a image that isn't like the real thing.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Okay, then I really hope to see it IRL someday. Are you a member of a Belgion modelling club? I often go to the "beurzen/bourses" of KMK, Moveleo, MBC Lier, IPMS Antwerpen and MBC Willebroek. 

Not anymore. Previous i was voorzitter/chairman of a modelling club, but dis-respect and lot's of other fact's made me disided to put a end to all of this. At the moment, this club don't excist anymore. All of the conventions you mentioned i did visit. But i never take my models or figures outside the house, or in other word's, i never take part in contests.

Greetz

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyVM

Hi guy's,

time for the next update: taking care of the fuselage. ;)

first i wanted to try the Ushi wooden decals onto the fuselage, but, due to the very tiny details that are scattered on the fuselage, and the fine wooden lamels, i was afraid that i couldn't do the job properly.

So i decided to change the strategie, and i went for a wooden structure with oil's.

First i needed a other base coat, so for this i used Tamiya XF-59 Dessert yellow.

DSCN0293_zps8d88826f.jpg

DSCN0295_zps43f8a9a3.jpg

A nice layer of Tamiya gloss coat finnished the fuselage, and it was ready to receive the oil paint.

I didn't wanted the same color as the cockpit so i my choice feld on another shade, Talens Van Gogh Raw Umber.

I started with the underside of the fuselage, and this is the result:

DSCN0297_zps74ed03f3.jpg

DSCN0298_zps1d08ea4f.jpg

DSCN0300_zpsea302ab7.jpg

DSCN0301_zps3a71a815.jpg

For this technique i used a fin round brush to put some dot's of oil paint onto the fuselage. Then i use three different sizes of flat brushes to get the wooden texture. Trick is, that how more brushes you use how finer the texture will be. This is a very pleasant technique that allows you to make change in the pattern, and iff mistakes are made then to solve them.

DSCN0302_zpsbbf06f20.jpg

DSCN0305_zpsce2957e5.jpg

DSCN0306_zps27dc6fab.jpg

DSCN0308_zps8a39f201.jpg

That's all for now, thank's for watching :)

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM
Hi guy's and Girl's,

today i finnished the woodwork on the fuselage of my Roland, and i must say that i am pleased with the result.

I've seen that some people really could use a how to, for theire own project, so i tought it was about time to share some noob techniques :P  regarding wood grain structure ;D

First i need to say that this project is also my very first woodgrain project so far.

I will explain the progress using the vertical tail of the Roland.

Iff you look at the surface of the fuselage, you will see that there are a lot of nails (rivets) where used to secure the plank's to the fuselage frame. These nails are an important part of the fuselage and therefore they can give a really good extra detail to the whole model. 

To accent the nails i put extra oil paint into the engraved nails.

The cross you see at the verical tail are the nails that are filled with oil paint.

DSCN0319_zpsc444753c.jpg

Now i will place dot's of oil paint between the lines.

DSCN0320_zpsf80a7862.jpg

The quantity of dot's are different regarding the woodgrain that you desire, so less dot's meane, a lighter woodgrain effect, but also less room to play with the paint for a different wood texture.

To place the dot's i use a number 00 round pointed brush.

Now, to get the first woodgrain effect i use a flat brush number 1. With long strokes i blend the dot's into each-other, this will be yoy're first woodgrain texture.

DSCN0321_zps2a1fc723.jpg

Remenber to clean you're brush after every stroke on a kitchen paper. IMPORTANT NOTICE : do not use any cleaner, because this will ruin you're work.

After this is done, i use a number 2 flat brush, and again with long strokes i blend the oil paint to get a more finer woodgrain.

DSCN0322_zps2767aaf0.jpg

iff you think "ok this is fine be me" ok then you can stop, and you're work is done, but i will use a thirt flat brush, a number 4 to get the woodgrain a little finer.

DSCN0323_zpsb30e33d0.jpg

Et voila, you have a wooden fuselage. All depent's on personal favour, and you can go very far by this methode. You can blend with different colors, and you can change the direction of brush strokes to get other patterns.

Now back to the project, the whole fuselage is done, and this is the result.

DSCN0327_zps11018c90.jpg

DSCN0328_zps0253c6b6.jpg

DSCN0325_zpseb8bd152.jpg

DSCN0329_zps9a1fbd30.jpg

Thank's for watching guy's.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Yesterday i did some detail work on the fuselage, and started to tackle the Spandau machineguns.

Regarding the painting of the hatches, and other stuff i used Vallejo Model Air Pale blue. After this was done, i gave all those a wash of Tamiya smoke.

DSCN0334_zps91797c2f.jpg

DSCN0330_zps69be49a7.jpg

A small update, but surely not the lastsmile.png smile.png

Greetz

Danny