The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Airfix Hawker Typhoon

Erik,

Airfix wants you to paint the firewall black, I have never seen black ones, only natural aluminium ones.

That is how I painted mine. The Typhoon cockpit colours have been under debate for years. Later

Aircraft had interior green lower cockpit walls roughly up to the level of the top tubular frame.

Above that everything is black. The early aircraft had black tubing and later ones were painted in

Aluminium finish ( tubes themselves are steel) according to our very own Jim-Bob Downthe Hatch.

Try finding as many pics you can to get a good idea of the aircraft you are modelling.

Cees

• Like 1

Thanks, Cees!

Mine will be MN131, a  Gloster Hucclecote-built (produced late 1943 - early 1944?) Typhoon Mk.Ib that flew with 609 Sqn.

Schermafbeelding 2015-01-26 om 13.18.26.png

The Duxford cockpit section shows aluminium painted framework and what seems to be interior grey floorboards.

The only surviving "complete" Typhoon -MN235- has had too much done to it for me to consider it original.

Thanks for your steerage, although MN131 should probably be labeled "mid-production", I'll go with your recommendation for a "late" Tiffie!

Cheers,

Erik.

BTW, are your iPad problems sorted yet?

Hi big guy,

Nope, not yet. Your option looks like the Tempest tail version but with earlier three blade prop. Very nice option.

I painted my floorboards black coated it with P+ and removed bits with a cotton Bud with some thinner. That way you

Represent the wear caused by the pilot's boots.

Feeling better already? I read you were not well.

Cheers

Cees

Erik,

Above that everything is black. The early aircraft had black tubing and later ones were painted in

Aluminium finish ( tubes themselves are steel) according to our very own Jim-Bob Downthe Hatch.

Try finding as many pics you can to get a good idea of the aircraft you are modelling.

Cees

​Any relationship to…………………...

Jethro.jpg