Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/32Hasegawa Bf109 F4 into an F2

Appologies if this has already been discussed, was wondering if the f4 can be built as an f2 easily enough. There are just to many good schemes out there for both. If its a case of tail stiffeners and some filling and scribing then Im home and hosed! But Im tipping its a bit more involved than that. Any help much appreciated

Cheers Bevan

Bevan

Hasegawa do an F-2. I think apart from stiffeners, a smaller turbo intake is biggest difference (though I'm not sure if the larger turbo intake came with the 'plain' F-4 or the 'pimped' F-4z?), that's why that side of cowl is separate part...

Matt

• Like 1

Whats the sprue that's required for the F-2?

My friend has just taken over the Hasegawa Agency for NZ, maybe I can get him to order a couple in his next order for those that want to convert their kit/s?

• Like 1

You're a handy man to know Dave... ;)

My friend has just taken over the Hasegawa Agency for NZ, maybe I can get him to order a couple in his next order for those that want to convert their kit/s?

The original ST31 Hasegawa boxing is the only version that contains the larger compressor intake and lower oil cooler parts. Every other version contains the parts to complete an F2 variant, including the external tail stiffeners and the small starboard cowling starter motor cooling intake. However, the ST31 is the only boxing still generally available, as all of the others were considered limited editions.

To make an F2 from the ST31 box, you will need sprue M for the port fuselage, sprue F for the small compressor intake, and sprue D for the smaller oil cooler parts. These are all thoughtfully contained on the one tree. The clear windscreen options are on different differently numbered sprues for the various boxes, however the ST31 box already contains all the options necessary for the F2 variant.

S

• Like 3

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated,

Steve: Is there any difference between early and late f2's? Could some of the late f2's received the larger supercharger intake as well as the larger oil cooler as the f4 was being introduced into production?

Dave: any idea off the top of your head what the sprues would be worth?

Cheers Bevan

I just had a look at my F-4 "Priller"

2380_rd.jpg

and it contains all those sprue's Wumm has mentioned. According to the service card on the manual the cost for the sprue's are 500y ea which is about US$5/AU$6ea. I am about to head over to my mates shop... So I will ask him if he knows how to order spares.

• Like 1

I just had a look at my F-4 "Priller"

2380_rd.jpg

and it contains all those sprue's Wumm has mentioned. According to the service card on the manual the cost for the sprue's are 500y ea which is about US$5/AU$6ea. I am about to head over to my mates shop... So I will ask him if he knows how to order spares.

Cool. Thanks Dave. So basically you can make the f2 from this boxing is that correct??

Cheers Bevan

Bevan,

Steve: Is there any difference between early and late f2's? Could some of the late f2's received the larger supercharger intake as well as the larger oil cooler as the f4 was being introduced into production?

Very early F2 variants exhibited unshrouded exhausts on the port side under the intake, and small button formation lights on the wingtips instead of the larger clear covers of all subsequent Bf109 variants. With a few exceptions, all F2's used the slimmer oil cooler and smaller compressor intake - these were often carried over into the early F4 production. The exceptions may only be due to replacement parts from F4 machines being utilised. There were 5 factories producing the F2 (AGO, Arado, Erla, Messerschmitt and WNF), only Erla and WNF continued on to the F4. If anything, it is more common to see the smaller parts on early F4 machines.

As a general rule, F2's show squared wheel well outer edges, and F4's have round wheel wells. Also a general indicator of an F2 is the small intake beside the starter crank hole on the starboard cowl, although not always the case as some WNF built F4's show this feature as well as the small oil cooler... for the F4 this inlet for generator cooling was moved to inside the engine-mounted compressor intake ring - so a lack of the small starboard intake always means that it's an F4. The only other sure way to tell is the fuel filler triange under the cockpit on the port side... C3/100 octane for the DB601N engined F2, and B4/87 octane for the DB601E powered F4 and F4/Z.

The unshrouded port side exhaust part is also included in all Hasegawa boxings.

S

• Like 1

Bevan,

Very early F2 variants exhibited unshrouded exhausts on the port side under the intake, and small button formation lights on the wingtips instead of the larger clear covers of all subsequent Bf109 variants. With a few exceptions, all F2's used the slimmer oil cooler and smaller compressor intake - these were often carried over into the early F4 production. The exceptions may only be due to replacement parts from F4 machines being utilised. There were 5 factories producing the F2 (AGO, Arado, Erla, Messerschmitt and WNF), only Erla and WNF continued on to the F4. If anything, it is more common to see the smaller parts on early F4 machines.

As a general rule, F2's show squared wheel well outer edges, and F4's have round wheel wells. Also a general indicator of an F2 is the small intake beside the starter crank hole on the starboard cowl, although not always the case as some WNF built F4's show this feature as well as the small oil cooler... for the F4 this inlet for generator cooling was moved to inside the engine-mounted compressor intake ring - so a lack of the small starboard intake always means that it's an F4. The only other sure way to tell is the fuel filler triange under the cockpit on the port side... C3/100 octane for the DB601N engined F2, and B4/87 octane for the DB601E powered F4 and F4/Z.

The unshrouded port side exhaust part is also included in all Hasegawa boxings.

S

Steve... thanks! You are a wealth of information, very usefull. Man, if I need to know something about 109's your going to be the man to ask, awesome stuff!!

Cheers Bevan

Thanks Bevan, 

That's quite alright. I was just banned from another site today,  so it's good to know there are still Modelling sites where information is valued.

S

• Like 5

• Members

Steve... thanks! You are a wealth of information, very usefull. Man, if I need to know something about 109's your going to be the man to ask, awesome stuff!!

Cheers Bevan

Steve is my Luftwaffe hero! 

• Like 2

Thanks Bevan, 

That's quite alright. I was just banned from another site today,  so it's good to know there are still Modelling sites where information is valued.

S

Valued alright!! I cant see why someone would be banned for being knowledgeable about a certain subject when the information can help so many modellers. Information like this saves trauling through all my books...... although a good excuse to!!

Cheers Bevan