Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1:24 JNR Class D51 Locomotive

James H

• Administrators

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I've been wanting to start my DeAgostini D51 loco. This is in 1:24, so while still LSM in stature, it now has a place on the forum which fits the subject matter. The loco itself is a super-detail monthly partwork which is mostly build from solid brass, with other metal components. It's got a choo-choo whistle, working wheels and also a glowing fire in the boiler. This isn't a toy either, but a very expensive and extremely accurate reproduction. 

There are currently about 5 month's worth of parts (out of 25 months supply!), and I figure I should start this in the next month or so, once I'm way ahead on my current project. 

Take a look at this video.

I intend to paint and weather this, and for it to look like it's about to deliver supplies to the Japanese military. This is a whole new adventure for me, so please bear with me.....

• Like 3

Great! Looking forward to this James. I happen to be on pack #9 and will post my progress as soon as I can. Unfortunately, I did not take a ton of pictures because I didn't anticipate posting this up until now. But it should give you an idea of what this magnificent kit is all about. James can take over from there.

I am NOT painting this because I think it looks absolutely beautiful in brass and steel. Even the black screws highlight the beauty of this kit.

Paul

I've been lucky enough to see the parts for this extraordinary kit (a friend living in the States has the the monthly subscription delivered to me here and I then send them on to him over there) and I've been super impressed with the quality and complexity of this kit. The only problem I see is one of having to buy two! One that you can leave un-painted and one that painted and weathered !

I'm going to LOVE watching this.... I'm so glad we see this build Jim, thanks!

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

Well, after 11 months, I might just start to build this thing.

My workshop isn't finished yet, but this sort of build would perhaps be good to set my mojo off again.

Question is....do I build this OOB, in bare brass and metal, or do I paint it?

I WANT ONE

...err...eventually...

...after I clear out my existing bench...

In building the Picket Boat, I've developed a huge appreciation for both the engineering and the artistry of the Steam Age.  This is a truly beautiful homage to that time.

While I'm thinking on it - does anyone else have experience with this sort of subscription-based build?  Of course there's tons of hype from the manufacturer but how about from the standpoint of the builder?  Are they as good as they look?