The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Special Hobby 1/32 Buckeye

So, after the light weathering (to lighten the camo) I did the dark weathering layer of dirt.

This is supposed to again be very subtle and tone down the lighter layer.  Hopefully it shows in the pictures.

Next is the dark underside weathering before getting to panel lines and the proper dirt weathering we all see on Greek aircraft.

Im trying to do it layer by layer and make it as subtle (in the end anyway) as possible so here are more pictures.

Buckeye-002.jpg

Buckeye-003.jpg

Buckeye-006.jpg

Buckeye-007.jpg

Buckeye-008.jpg

• Like 3

Underside next.
So, after a MiG Neutral Wash to highlight panel lines its time for some oil streaking.

Lots of pictures on the internet show massive leaks/unclean underside and aft of the main gear door, so this is the start of trying to do that.

Its mostly MiG oil weathering paint so its going to take a couple days to dry before the next weathering session so its no more until the weekend for me I think.
Once this is done its time for more dirt later.  So here it is so far, just one picture this time as Im sure thats plenty.
J.

Models-10.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, finally I get to do some more prhotography.  As I had it all set up figured I'd do a catchup on the Buckeye.

Work has been manic, Ive been tardy and to be honest the oils took an age to set in the very cold spell we have had here.  Thats my excuse anyway.

But, lost done.  bang seats in and cockpit weathered, SAC Undercarriage is fitted with kit wheels and the kit undercarriage doors (the rams for the doors on the main gear nearest the fuselage are very fiddly and I managed to loose parts of them in the process so some bits are replaced with wire and plasticard).

The wingtip lamps have some 3mm Grief Lenses behind them, not easily seen in the pictures as does the nose (stowed) landing lamp, which I had to scratch as I dropped the old one.  Luckily the clear sprue is about the same size.  It needs more sanding to smooth it to the surface and a polish but otherwise done.

All I need to do now is "unweather" the panels I can see in pictures of the airframe that have been repaired.  I missed the fact that the Greeks seem to keep the national insignia clean until someone pointed it out - drat - but its too late now and one lives and learns.

Someone also asked if the staining behind the wheel bays is too much, and the underside too, well from some photo's Ive seen on the net of these coming in to land they do bet pretty damn dirty in these areas and Im happy enough (for now) with the look of it.  

As usual constructive criticism is welcomed from all :)
J.

Bukeye%2B-%2BWeathered-1.jpg

Bukeye%2B-%2BWeathered-3.jpg

Bukeye%2B-%2BWeathered-2.jpg

Bukeye%2B-%2BWeathered-6.jpg

Bukeye%2B-%2BWeathered-10.jpg

Bukeye%2B-%2BWeathered-12.jpg

Bukeye%2B-%2BWeathered-7.jpg

• Like 3