The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Special Hobby 1/32 Buckeye

Hi all,

Just started this.  

Going to do it as a Greek one I hope, just love the scheme and the fact the Greeks seem to never wash their aircraft. I do like em dirty :)

There is a lot of filler, a lot of sanding and quite a bit of undercoat, sand and re-coat on this.  Could be a long build though I hope not, I don't want it to stall and have me put it away for a while.  I just love the look of the Buckeye.  I've got 2 more in 1/48 for Navy schemes but this one has to be Greek :)
J.

Buckeye_0001_10-11-14%2B%28Large%29.jpg

Buckeye_0002_10-11-14%2B%28Large%29.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An update at last.

Paint is on, decals are on and its clear coated.  Now for the fun bit, weathering.

I had some issues with the decals which were a bit flimsy and some paint lifting with tape when masked, it seems to happen with me now and then with Vallejo.

The clear coat is from Alclad and its amazing, hard wearing, goes down really easy and a couple light coats leaves it bulletproof.

The only AM is metal undercarriage (love it and its a heavy kit too so needs it).

Hope to get weathering during the evenings  after work this week, though a big busy week at Heathrow Tower coming up which may get in the way a bit...

J.

Models-3-2.jpg

Models-2-2.jpg

Models-5-2.jpg

Models-4-2.jpg

Models-6-2.jpg

Thanks guys.
I wanted to get a few pictures as I went but as usual the desire to get doing took over from photographing.
It was masked by White Tack worms and then filled the gaps with plenty Tamiya tape. It lifted some paint and needed some touch up.

Will take a few more pictures as I weather it and as I get on with it.
Still working out how Im going to get it to look dirty Greek enough though.  Too clean at the moment :)
J.

So, weathering has started. 

Doing something new on this in that Im trying to fade the paintwork using the Salt Technique.

For anyone that hasnt seen it you do the following:

Spray Water on the Model in the areas to be weathered,

Crack salt over it, not the ground salt but the stuff thats in a twist salt thing (I got a few of these, with salt for £1 from the Pound Shop),

Wait for the salt to dry and crystalise (I felt quite short of time so I used a heat gun to speed it up - waving a hot gun at a kit made of plastic is kind pf scary though),

Spray the weathering layer.  For this I used about a 99% thinner to grey and whit paint as a fade layer.  

So here are pics of the salting first...  The results to follow:

Models-2-3.jpg

Models-5-3.jpg

• Like 2

Next results of the weathering layer.

It looks a bit too stark here but thats planned.

Next is a dirty dark layer of oil/dark mud oils to darken it so its expected to be over light at this stage and not particularly subtle.

Some of the salt stays on the paint layer so it looks even lighter too.  It'll mostly fade out under a later of dirt and the flat coat.

Tomorrow (I hope) is the dark/dirt layer after which its time for the underside :)

Will have more as soon as possible, really motivated to finish this one now.

J.

Models-7-3.jpg

Models-8-3.jpg

Models-9-3.jpg

I think it will work great on black Aaron.
I have an X-15 that will probably be black and to get some subtle difference in all black is really difficult so I think salt could be perfect if its done in a subtle way.

I guess the 88 is next?
J.

I think it will work great on black Aaron.

I have an X-15 that will probably be black and to get some subtle difference in all black is really difficult so I think salt could be perfect if its done in a subtle way.

I guess the 88 is next?

J.

Yes, its sort of started already, but the 'other' build will drop in whenever we're ready.