1/35 M4A1

ProfiPACK
Eduard
Catalogue #3716
Available direct from 
Eduard for €35,96

Bunny Fighter Club price: €30,54

IMG_9460CR2_zps55f98966.jpg

Eduard really looks like betting again on armour models, by given a new Sherman on the block.

After some long hiatus, now Eduard releases the second armour model kit. Not new mold or Eduard molds but rebox.

And what a rebox… we going there just in a minute!

I thought quite hard (until my head hurts…ok not that much) about doing a brief history or now about the Sherman or specifically of the M4A1.

I really not a Shermanholic, and I do know some basis of Sherman history, but who doesn`t?

So, forgive me, but I will skip presenting the Sherman!! Come on, it’s a Sherman, every single modeler knows the Sherman. J

Now down to business:

The kit comes packaged under the Eduard ProfiPACK banner clearly recognizable on the lift of lid.

Precisely at this point I recall the Tiger II review (by my good friend Martin) where I was disappointed about the “profipack” concept (in armour for Eduard)… So I open the box and start looking for the goodies….

And I found it: a medium size and high quality photo-etched sheet.

But we will get there later on.

So back to the box, the artwork is quite amazing and eye catching… Modelers before being modelers are collectors… so an eye catching box is half way to the modeler to say: WANT.

All the artwork and side profiles make a perfect box just appealing the modeler to buy.

All the sprues are bagged separately by species, so the repeated sprues are together.

The decal sheet was left loose and unprotected as was the booklet… a strange option but no damage in any on either.

The photo etch sheet was its own clear plastic re-sealing type bag with a thick piece of card inside the bag. The usual care to have with photo etches.

The plastic parts are all from Tasca/Asuka M4A1 Sherman.

If you check any review for Tasca Sherman you can see that this I simply the best Sherman available in 1:35, so it`s a fantastic choice from Eduard and great to see it in Eduard label and more affordable then Tasca option and with extras.

Knowing that Tasca release 3 early versions (Firefly,  Mid Production and Late Production), I start digging on the model to try to see with one is it and the answer is on the tracks. So I will start this review by the tracks!

And as said, the answer is quite simple. The tracks are the T48 Ruber Chevron Block, one of the most common on early Sherman and that means this Sherman in a Late type production (Tasca model kit 35012).

t48_rubber_chevron_graphic_zps42cec4ae.p

T48_zps99fd1145.jpg

The tracks, as said, are the T48 Ruber Chevron Block and are four vinyl parts in black rubber. They look quite fine with a good track pad detail and with no major problem as they are quite flexible. However, as all vinyl tacks, the attachment points are their weakness.

IMG_9503CR2_zps2feb4621.jpg

IMG_9507CR2_zps420230c1.jpg

Here I think I will go the metal link to link track.

Now to the plastic.

The kit contents besides the vinyl tracks, 18 plastic sprues, 1 sprue with polycaps, 1 Pe-fret, decal sheet and assembly manual.

The plastic is in an olive green color and molding quality is very good, as expected.

I check all the parts and sprues and you won't find flash anywhere.

Starting with the upper hull (sprue H), this comes in a single cast part, with sharp detail. The detail is quite impressive mainly on the casting hull texturing.    

IMG_9464CR2_zpsa81ad4ad.jpg  

IMG_9466CR2_zps77e2fdf1.jpg

IMG_9468CR2_zps8a639f13.jpg

Is quite soft and really subtle that conveying a real sense of iron. Equal texture to the turret!  Simply outstanding.

The upper hull also have opening for crew hatches and full engine deck with a option to let it open (which makes sense if you put a full detail engine bay on it)

I do not know much about Sherman (as I already said) but looking carefully shaped to the upper hull , it seems to me perfectly correct.This kit is not new and was appointed when he came out as the best Sherman at 1:35. Since then, it has remained nothing worthy of record that put in question such a title.So I will not lose myself in accuracy issues, than has been much debated when release and by whom the subject actually perceives.

Passing on to the lower hull (sprue E), this one is in several parts. An original Tasca option (not much appreciated by me, as I prefer a full lower hull that doesn`t give any fitting and alignment issues) that gives the aftermarkets and scratch builders plenty of room to super detail as the upper hull, as we saw, does have hatches on the front and engine bay.

IMG_9474CR2_zps6ccf9416.jpg

IMG_9470CR2_zps5d65bf35.jpg

IMG_9469CR2_zps3db2e80f.jpg

The sprue J will give the end up of the hull itself by given sprocket attachment piece and front lower hull. This sprue also got the 75 mm gun in two pieces.

IMG_9496CR2_zpsbc512c77.jpg

IMG_9500CR2_zpsab2fda6b.jpg

IMG_9502CR2_zps5f68f27c.jpg

I would be personally sorely tempted to seek out an aftermarket replacement in aluminium even thought I already saw finish Sherman with the 75 mm gun directly OOB with great results.

IMG_9497CR2_zpsb04388a4.jpg

Sprue A and B, in total of 5 sprues, brings us all the wheels and suspension. You got three types of sprocket but only two can be used according with the Eduard instructions.

IMG_9479CR2_zps2224ef9b.jpg

IMG_9475CR2_zps9c515a6b.jpg

The suspension constructions looks pretty straightforward and the little pieces of rubber makes it`s way into makes all the suspension works like the real thing.

IMG_9476CR2_zps31251066.jpg

IMG_9477CR2_zpsed4ba1f7.jpg

IMG_9478CR2_zpsbeaadcf7.jpg

IMG_9480CR2_zpsc573f121.jpg

IMG_9533CR2_zpsc061f7f0.jpg

(Rubber sheet)

I really think that is the idea behind it because the sprocket and driver wheels are not supposed to be glued in lower hull but only attached.

One little detail that you should be careful: you must add rivets to wheels, so pick up your punch and die set.

RP Tools will launch one.

Going on to sprue C, it has most of minor parts like tools, turret hatch, the hull and co-axial cal. 30 MG and for example front mud fenders that can be replace by photo-etched.

IMG_9485CR2_zps74861d34.jpg

IMG_9486CR2_zps8bc6cfc9.jpg

IMG_9488CR2_zps4d5072f9.jpg

Both cal. 30 MG have very nice perforated jacket detail and a slightly hollowed out muzzle. Very nice and sharp detail.

The D sprue (x2) is quite little and have some lights and hinges.

IMG_9517CR2_zps11398c85.jpg

IMG_9518CR2_zps774747e4.jpg

The F sprue bring up some fenders (that can be replace by photo-etched) and lower hull details.

IMG_9489CR2_zps8d137db6.jpg

IMG_9491CR2_zps9d2f3048.jpg

IMG_9492CR2_zps40e4280b.jpg

Also brings a figure which is quite well cast and a very nice figure in plastic. Eduard also said this is not to use but is a really looking figure that can and will be used with a new hornet head.

IMG_9493CR2_zpsbc4bad3b.jpg

The L sprue as some details including one gun mantlet. You wil get two gun mantlet for the four kit option. This sprue only has 7 used parts… All other are unusable.

IMG_9509CR2_zps329a78c1.jpg

IMG_9510CR2_zps762e70d9.jpg

On the highlight of this kit is without a doubt the M2 .50cal.

The all gun is made from 10 parts, because all other parts are not to use.

With the machine gun itself made up of 8 parts. Nevertheless you have 3 barrels to choose (hollow barrels) and hollowed out cooling jacket.

IMG_9520CR2_zps0b9389b9.jpg

IMG_9521CR2_zps02b8087a.jpg

IMG_9522CR2_zps8a91d3f8.jpg

IMG_9523CR2_zps6fde1376.jpg

The .50cal must be the one in 1:35 injection mold.

Simply amazing and sharp detail, it`s a model kit itself.

Sprue "R" is on the box… but I really can find any useful use on the instructions. Doesn`t exist on the initial diagram and in all the instruction simply any parts is used. Looks like some parts for the inside of the hull…

Jerry cans are given on two separate sprues that doesn`t have any letter. So is the “unnamed sprue”. The quality is an excellent one that doesn`t need any AM.

IMG_9528CR2_zps11f62b6b.jpg

IMG_9526CR2_zpsaa6078f1.jpg

The clear parts comes in two sprues with excellent molding and no distortion. They are sufficiently transparent for their propose.

IMG_9530CR2_zpsf57f1b04.jpg

Now to the sheet that gives this model the term “Profipack” – the photo-etched sheet.

IMG_9541CR2_zpsec7bec14.jpg

IMG_9545CR2_zpsdc052c7e.jpg

IMG_9547CR2_zps599ffee7.jpg

IMG_9551CR2_zpsbf2180c0.jpg

The PE sheet is in brass, given modeler tiny details like handles, holders tools, front fenders, side fenders, mesh and other details.

The sheet is a most welcome extra that will improve the already fantastic Tasca kit and gives to Eduard release, his true nature: Profipack! J

Now going to the decals sheet, they are very thin, with good color saturation and very good print. There are printed by Eduard with some very nice quality. Hats off Eduard!

IMG_9535CR2_zps4ebaa12f.jpg

It offers 4 options with all the markings to make each one.

Passing on to the assembly manual or instructions booklet, you get a 12  page booklet A4 in size and printed with a semi-gloss finish in typical Eduard fashion.

IMG_2826_zpsadf0c6e6.jpg

The logical and easy step, clear images and intuitive vision and drawings makes, as always, really easy to work with Eduard booklets.

IMG_2828_zps6c0bae61.jpg

IMG_2829_zpsc141b411.jpg

One thing that, presently almost manufactures have, is a full diagram of all sprues and all the info about unused parts allows a full representation of which parts will be use. This is essencial, at least for me, to get a clear view of all the sprue and parts that allows a better part detection on the work in progress.

IMG_2827_zps6219a882.jpg

Another thing that not all manufacturers offer is 360.º view of the profiles. Every and each option given as profiles from each side.

IMG_2830_zpsf624040f.jpg

The subjects included in this release:

• M4A1, 3016307, H13, 66 Armored Regt/2 Armored Div, Jun 1944, 'Hellcat'
  • M4A1, unknown, I6, 5th Army, Italy, 1944, 'Bull O The Woods'
  • M4A1, 3036754, G2, 3rd Bn/66 Armored Regt/2 Armored Div, Jun 1944, 'Goldie'
  • M4A1, unknown, 11, 13 Armored Regt/1 Armored Div, Anzio, 1944, 'Frantic'

Conclusion

Eduard decided to return to armour model kit by re-boxing and put in it some goods!!

If with their first release (Tiger II – see here) things didn`t go very well, and simply miss the boat and didn`t make big impact on armour modelling, they simply nail it with this Sherman.

The Tasca Sherman is the best Sherman on the market, and with some very good extras that we can call it a ProfiPACK kit.

And top of that, a bargain comparing with the Tasca original release.

So with this release you get the best 1:35 sherman with a comprehensive photo-etched sheet at a VERY GOOD PRICE!

Try to get the original M4A1 (late production) Tasca model kit and you will pay (without shipping) 45 to 50 euros, at least.

Every modeler (even not a very keen armour modeler) knows that Sherman from Tasca/Asuka are the best available on the market and for this price and with the extra detail on the photo-etched, The release just fly off the shelves like I saw it on MPM stand in SMC in Velhoven… It simply sold out! J

So now Eduard can we have a M32B1 “profipack???  

Very Highly recommended

With my sincere thanks to Eduard for this review sample, to purchase directly, please follow this link.

Francisco Guedes

eduard-LOGO-2_zps01389283.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering as I have the Tamiya Sherman and it looked similar. I'd like to do mine in a British North Africa scheme!

AFAIK, the Tamiya Sherman is an M4A3, which means it has the welded hull, not the cast one. The A3-bit means it's equipped with a gasoline Ford V8-engine that was used (almost) exclusively by the US forces. It has differences on the engine deck. What you can use for a British tank is an M4, which is the original welded hull version equipped with the Wright air-cooled gasoline radial engine.

Or, the Sherman II; the M4A1, the same as the M4, but with a cast hull.

Sherman III, the M4A2, a welded-hull Sherman equipped with a diesel engine.

Those would be your choices for an accurate Brit Sherman. 

Oh, wait a minute:

If you have this kit:

tam_35122_title.jpg

Or the re-issue with infantry:

ltams5250.jpg

This is a late M4A3, to be used for a US Army model, Normandy and later. Although Normandy is maybe even a bit early for this hull-type?....

If you have this kit:

file.jpg

That could be used for British tanks - I think.... Point is, the British got some of the earliest Shermans around because they needed proper tanks badly to be succesfull in offensive actions against the Germans, and the M4A1 was earlier off the production lines than the M4, El Alamein, anybody?... I think that the Brits got many, many more M4A2's than M4's after the M4A1's as the US Army needed the M4's themselves next to the M4A1's... The US Army had no use for the diesel powered M4A2's so they were issued under Lend-Lease to the UK and the Soviet-Union, and of course the USMC as they always got (and get) the hand-me-downs... Sherman II's and Sherman III's were very wide-spread in North Africa and the Mediterranean.

Edited by Erik B.
Some extra info

• 2 weeks later...

A Sherman is not a Sherman as a Sherman should be. It is very confusing to the non Shermanholics. The last time I tried to explain something Sherman to Mikester his eyes rolled up to the back of his head, Had give him an emergency shot of Yukon Jack. By the by…… at the beginning of the Normandy invasion the Yanks only landed the M4 75mm (dry) to keep the logistics problem to a minimum. Class dismissed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A Sherman is not a Sherman as a Sherman should be. It is very confusing to the non Shermanholics. The last time I tried to explain something Sherman to Mikester his eyes rolled up to the back of his head, Had give him an emergency shot of Yukon Jack. By the by…… at the beginning of the Normandy invasion the Yanks only landed the M4 75mm (dry) to keep the logistics problem to a minimum. Class dismissed.

And the M4A1 75mm (Dry) as in the kit. The 2nd AD landed at D+3 or D+6 IIRC...

I should've stated initial insertion/landing of armor. But Erik is correct, A1's were the next batch in.

Hmmmm, the DD's were built on M4A1-hulls, weren't they? At least if the website below is correct...

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/duplexdrive/duplexdrive.html

Quote: In January 1944, the most technologically advanced tank in the US arsenal was the M4A1(76), which was just beginning to roll off the assembly lines. These were wanted for the DD project until it was found that the first 160 were "already earmarked for another project". (They were being sent to the UK for troop familiarization). The Stock Control Branch advised the Army that 350 unused M4A1(75)s could be made available, and a Production Order was placed. The project was classified as "Secret", and therefore much of the documentation was not preserved.

psc_large1.jpg  duplexdrive10.jpg

During the course of work on the various US swimming tank experiments, one officer observed that the rounded contours of the cast hull Sherman gave it better "hydrodynamic properties". Perhaps this played into the US decision to convert only M4A1s? The tanks that were provided were unallocated, late 1943 models. Many were of December Pressed Steel Car production, and had such late features as "large" drivers' hatches and high bustle turrets. Two such examples were salvaged from the sea, and are on display in Torcross, England (above left, courtesy Alf Adams) and Port-en-Bessin, France (above right).

But okay; that's "searching for nails at low tide", another "Dutchism", as the DD-variant is a special conversion and really something else as the regular M4A1 issued to the troops.  ;)