The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

1/76 Scale T34 diorama, built in 1975

Colin Forbes

This is a diorama I built with my dad, who tells me it was in 1975 when I was nine years old. I vividly remember the idea of two airfix T34`s in the snow, one behind the other, both turrets looking off center, one left, and one right. I wanted the front tank to be going over a slope, with it`s gun at lowest elevation looking down.

028_zps13631148.jpg

The tanks had crashed through a fence, which my dad made out of matchsticks and wire.

029_zpsdecaff54.jpg

My dad made the groundwork out of cement, and believe me, that this thing is quite heavy.

027_zps82bd6f64.jpg

He made the track prints in the snow, which, as a kid I loved.

030_zpse1447a83.jpg

My dad is a joiner, and he made a beautiful hardwood base, nicely varnished which looked great in our living room....my mum did not mind!

The tank in front was the one that I built, my dad`s behind, you can tell mine from the adult version because mine obviously has "T34" on the engine cover and has the sprue nibs on the wheels LOL.

031_zps7de8a873.jpg

Although looking very rudimentary to me now, I love it`s basic look, and it gives me warm memories of modelling in my younger days, of which sadly only this has survived.

I would love to replicate this now in 35th scale, or even in Trumpeter`s 16th scale, now that would be a project...........

Colin

• Like 1

Colin,

Your diorama is so cool! I also began building models seriously in 1975 with my Dad. I still have the first model we built together, a P-39, although it's quite beat up now (it flew a lot missions around my room as a kid). Good times!

Cheers,

Wayne