The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

DONE: Eduard BF109E4/7, Hptm. Ernst Wiggers "Black 6" JG 51, 1940

JG26

Hi All,

Another quick update pic of the Emil. Yellow tail & Rudder done & masked over. The fuselage is now pretty much ready to start laying layers of RLM 65 on - hoping to get some varied effects showing through the blue. The fuselage shading colour mix is Tamiya XF23 + XF24 to get a "bluey" shade to blend into the '65 rather than straight black etc. The Wing rivet lines were shaded using Gunze Redbrown + Tan to get a browny shade. I also added straight Tamiya white here and there to try to add more underlying effects. Not having tried this in 1:32 I'm hoping that this work will act as a guide for the weathering later on without looking extreme -

IMG_0508_zpssdmtccaz.jpg

Till the next time. Hopefully with main colours on!

P.S Happy to "tip" Dave, I'll throw something together soon.

Regards,

Dan

• Like 2

Greetings all,

Another quick posting of this weekend's progress. Main colours are now on - with the exception of the splinter camo on the spine & the RLM 02 repair patch on the l/h/s front, I plan on doing this when I commence the mottlng as it all sort of flows in together.

Looking very stark & barenaked at this stage, I havent starting adding any postshading or weathering effects as yet. The RLM 04 Yellow looks pretty bright, but I plan on knocking off a lot of that when I start playing with the oils etc. Almost a shame to cover up the RLM '65 blue sides.....but.....grit teeth & get the Superfine out!

IMG_0520_zpsnax39uwt.jpg

And the underside - also nice n clean at this stage....it WILL be looking somewhat more worse for wear down the track hopefully.

IMG_0522_zpscj3vucei.jpg

That's it for now. Till next time.....

Regards,

Dan M

• Like 5

Greetings again,

Sensational Anzac Day weather here in Oz. The airbrush came out -

Camo applied - Kind of got lost applying it at 1st, but changed the colour of the RLM 71 & 02 until I think I got near Kagero's profile. I also added the start of the unusual bare '65 below the filler cap & the RLM 02 repair patch to the front fuselage behind the cowl. All still looking stark at the mo'....

IMG_0525_zpsuwrqjvxc.jpg

The other side - Because there doesn't appear to be many pics of this Emil I added a bit more mottling here & there...artistic licence? Also masked the '65 Hakenkruez areas on prio to painting the tail camo.

IMG_0524_zpsurb5vpcz.jpg

Clear on tommorow - then the many stencil decals, etc this week...

Till the next unexciting installment.

Regards,

Dan M

• Like 2

Greetings all once again,

Very quick update pic - The Emil is clearcoated, decalled & recleared. The decals went on OK - the large cartograph cross decals (supplied by R.Riese, many thanks) were a little tricky to settle, due to the shallow lines & rivetting. The Kagero book supplied cartograph decals were very nice to use. With a blunt cocktail stick & a little care, all went well. Let the weathering commence.....crying out for that panel wash!

IMG_0528_zpsnfynksva.jpg

Till next time....

Regards,

Dan M

• Like 1

Nice one Dan, looks like you're having fun !

Sadly, it would be a long flight for me from my end so no QMHE for me either this year. Oh well.

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all again, another very quick update.

The Wigger Emil is still progressing along slowly, I have managed to knock off some of the fiddly bits this week like the U/C, Prop, exhausts etc etc.

The U/C - The wheels are Eduard Brassin items as supplied in the "Balkans" boxing, these were a bit of a double edged sword - the detail is nice, but my wheels were bubbled & had a few pinholes to fill. Oh well....the tail wheel is also the resin Brassin rendering. Definately better than the standard kit part. I added the brakelines, clamp eyelets & tubing, Eduard's attempt was a bit woeful, very out of scale (in my opinion anyway).

After discussing the kit spinner with Ralph R & checking references I decided to add the center MotorKanone blast tube, I found a 20/0 paintbrush tip protector tube to be the perfect size! Sometimes you can get lucky.....Tamiya acyliics for all the bits, with Humbrol "Metalcote" Aluminium for the prop hub. In the end I decided to go for something a little different (as discussed with our esteemed members previously) & went with RLM 65 Legs & 02 Inner doors.

FullSizeRender_zpsklwv235u.jpg

The kit supplied exhaust manifolds. No resin one piece number in the kit unfortunately.....bummer, fiddly cleaning up.... In the end I was fairly happy with the way it turned out. I found a beautiful clear pic of a restored Emil undergoing maintainance & tried to match the exhaust weathering & colours.

Exhaust_zpsq7exxwda.jpg

That's it for now. All the basic washes on the airframe are now complete, more weathering to come. Juggling the Emil weathering with painting up a 1:35 "Monty" figgy to go with his Humber - Arghhhhh!!!! not my favourite task......

Till next time!

Regards,

Dan M

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Calling the Wiggers Emil done.

It's been an enjoyable foray into the world of 1:32, it may not be my last.....but with other projects in mind it will be for now. I've certainly learnt a few things in the process, hopefully I can use these on the next "Big Build".

One last update on final proceedings, the Aerial line was added from invisble mending thread painted with JoSonja Silver acyllic. Insulator cone thingy's were hollowed out 1:35 Pak40 ammo tips, with the Aerial tension spring made from wound up fine wire.

Many thanks to Ralph R & Jamie D for the advice & lend of the excellent reference material (yet AGAIN) and thanks for the kind words of encouragement from all the other Forum members.

Here's the finishing pics:

1st_zpsbsj5skxa.jpg

693c5ab5-88f3-4a42-8146-07af5d563519_zps

5th_zpskm7pmcup.jpg

3rd202_zpsfwhwzuxk.jpg

4th_zps7qx7hf1d.jpg

6th202_zps7tmbzsub.jpg

7th202_zpslri1erza.jpg

9th_zps53s7nklf.jpg

8th_zpsoimyhypf.jpg

10th_zpsgblv8zsr.jpg

4_zpsvhndp2fc.jpg

Finito.

Regards,

Dan M

• Like 2

Hi Dan, brilliant work on the Emil. Nice and restrained weathering.......something I find hard to do.! Love the weathering on the cowling just looks great and the 76 gear legs ad a nice touch.

Hopefully we'll see more of your work in the near future.

Cheers Bevan